• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making a granola crisp or cracker

gfron1

I want to make a sturdy but biteable little cracker made of granola. I've puffed my own rice and amaranth, and I want to add some toasted oats, small nut pieces and other stuff. The crisp will be used as part of a savory course, but I assumed it would be bound with honey, molasses and sugar in some ratio. I don't have much time to work through options so I'm asking here.

I'm assuming I'll need to cook the sugars to hardtack, but maybe not. And I'm assuming I can do any ratio of the sweeteners to get there, but maybe not. Thoughts anyone?

This cracker can NOT be soft like often happens with a granola crisp, but also can't be so hard that you can't bite it easily. 

FWIW, ground flax will bind quite well.

You wouldn't need much if any sweetener.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I wonder if using the basic formula for the Issuni Graham Sable mentioned on eG recently might work. Essentially you grind your finished cookie into a powder, add egg, butter, sugar and flour and reform into a sable. So if you started with your granola, ground it up - added the necessary ingredients, then your various puffed stuff, chill, shape and bake. 

• Like 1

Psyllium husks?

I recently found a recipe for a nut-and-seed bread that depends on psyllium husks to bind it. I now possess some. Have never worked with them before. Found them in the nutritional supplements at the health food store.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 hours ago, kayb said:

Psyllium husks?

I recently found a recipe for a nut-and-seed bread that depends on psyllium husks to bind it. I now possess some. Have never worked with them before. Found them in the nutritional supplements at the health food store.

I have a bag. Haven't used them much, but I have them.

Rather than sugar, why not use isomalt as a primary ingredient in the binder?  It's not as sweet as sugar, but has similar structural properties.

El Bulli used to make a dish where they would make a crisp using puffed corn (a common street snack in Barcelona)... they would take a sheet of Obulato - which is a very thin Japanese edible paper made from potato starch and dust onto it a sugar powder made by melting together 50% isomalt, 25% glucose and 25% fondant and bringing to a light caramel.  Pour onto a silpat and cool, then blitz in a spice grinder to make the powder.   Anyway, you add a heavy dusting of the powder to the obulato which acts as a base (it dissolves immediately in the mouth so you don't even know it's there) and add the solid objects - then put in a hot oven for a few seconds to remelt the sugar mixture.  Once cooled you have a very delicate savory tuile.

I've done variations on this by adding spices to the sugar mixture - star anise, cinnamon, clove, but you could use anything....

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

Doesn't psyllium husk have, er, pharmaceutical uses that might make you want to be careful about using or eating a lot of it?

The bread recipe calls for four tablespoons of the husks. The pharmaceutical use calls for two tablespoons stirred into a glass of juice. So unless you eat half the loaf at a sitting, you ought to be OK. I think. :B

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com