• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

carol lang

Colored Cocoa Butter

How long is colored cocoa butter good to use. Is there a way to know that the colored cocoa butter is no longer usable.

I have some Chef Rubber bottles for more than 2 years (maybe 3) and I am wondering wether to chuck it all and start fresh.

Is there a taste test?  Any way to know?

Even if it tempers properly, I wouldn't want to spoil my hard work with "off" tasting cocoa butter.

The cocoa butter has not been stored under ideal conditions, My NYC apartment temperature fluctuates sometimes unfavorably.

Any advice is welcome

Hey Carol - I think most of us keep it around much longer than we would admit to - I've got bottles that I've had for a lot more than 3 years - I give them the sniff test - if they don't smell cheesy or unpleasantly strong then I use them. The natural colours seem to go off quickly - but it's the colour that changes not the cocoa butter itself.

I think the huge number of bottles that I destroyed in the heating tray meets Ikea dimmer switch incident at Niagara College a couple of years ago were on average over 5 years old and they were still fine (before the incident)!

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hey Carol - I think most of us keep it around much longer than we would admit to - I've got bottles that I've had for a lot more than 3 years - I give them the sniff test - if they don't smell cheesy or unpleasantly strong then I use them. The natural colours seem to go off quickly - but it's the colour that changes not the cocoa butter itself.

I think the huge number of bottles that I destroyed in the heating tray meets Ikea dimmer switch incident at Niagara College a couple of years ago were on average over 5 years old and they were still fine (before the incident)!

I was there that fateful day - very sad......

6 minutes ago, RobertM said:

I was there that fateful day - very sad......

Indeed it was!

2 hours ago, NWKate said:

Can you freeze them?

I suppose you could - but then there would be condensation issues I suspect.

Posted (edited)

Sad night. I just made a big batch of bonbons where my colored cocoa butter stuck to my molds. Tragic :(

i think i might might have overheated my Chef Rubber bottle in the microwave and lost my temper? Is there a way to salvage the bottle of CB? Can I melt the whole bottle up to 122F then table it down to 82F (like dark chocolate?)

image.jpg

Edited by sbain (log)
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, sbain said:

Sad night. I just made a big batch of bonbons where my colored cocoa butter stuck to my molds. Tragic :(

i think i might might have overheated my Chef Rubber bottle in the microwave and lost my temper? Is there a way to salvage the bottle of CB? Can I melt the whole bottle up to 122F then table it down to 82F (like dark chocolate?)

Yup, melt it out, stir whilst cooling to 31-32C and you should be fine. I melt all of mine back to 45C and retemper like this with no issues.

I store mine vacuum sealed to protect from moisture , they last for ages.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sbain said:

In my experience you can do that as long as the cocoa butter wasn't heated so high that it burned. The telltale sign of that is little hard bits in it that won't dissolve. The first time I overheated c.b., I didn't realize what had happened and kept trying to heat and retemper, but the bits remained.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

In my experience you can do that as long as the cocoa butter wasn't heated so high that it burned. The telltale sign of that is little hard bits in it that won't dissolve. The first time I overheated c.b., I didn't realize what had happened and kept trying to heat and retemper, but the bits remained.

You should still be able to temper it, just strain out those hard bits (as long as it doesn’t taste burnt) 

3 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

You should still be able to temper it, just strain out those hard bits (as long as it doesn’t taste burnt) 

I should have said that yes, it did taste burnt and smelled definitely "off."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sbain said:

image.jpg

Very sad. But I have to say the chocolate itself looks pretty rough. If that is dark chocolate, it looks like the chocolate may be out of temper.

Did they contract and pop out nicely  except for the cb or did the molds take a beating to get the pieces out? 

• Like 2

Hmmm. It is dark chocolate and it did take some whacking to get them out. Might have been the chocolate temper, though I made several different types with the same batch and it was only theses that had issues, so I am inclined to blame the CB. My tempering is usually pretty good, but come to think of it, I did just buy a fancy new Mol d’art melter and this was my first batch using it to temper(seed instead of my usual tabling), so maybe it was off. 

• Like 2