• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christopher KImball and "Milk Street"

rotuts

as most of us know , Christopher Kimball has a new venture :  Milk Street :

http://www.177milkstreet.com

and there is a new magazine    Milk Street Magazine.    

the initial issue was free   ( November )    I received mine as have others

for me this is an improvement over CI.  there is a more international flavor to it , and the stock is heavier with color pictures.

CK is as pedantic as ever , and it seems certain business practices have carried over :  should you subscribe , probably w a credit card , its for an ongoing

yearly subscription which you have to actively opt-out of if you don't want to continue.   this may be standard industry practice  , I can't say.

Im thinking of subscribing for one year.   $ 19.   they say 6 issues   they don't say if the free Nov issue is one of the 6 .  Probably not.   the subscription seems to start

in early 2017.

however , Im fairly allergic to CK etc etc.

if you've gotten the issue   do you plan to subscribe ?

my back-up plan is hoping my library system will subscribe at some point , and I can go from there.

a P.S.:  one of the reasons Im thinking of a one year sub. is that I double the CK / ATK  churn machine is geared up in year one.

That would be $39.93 Canadian at current exchange rates.  No thanks.  I looked at my niece's copy (initial copy not available to Canadians) and I did not see much that appealed to me other than the caramelized oranges.  But then,  unlike a lot of people I don't have much if any, interest in the science behind food, which I thought this magazine had a lot of.

if you've been cooking for a while , magazines like this and most others are simply hold in the hand ' tweakers '

they's done their job if they get your initial moving.

I have a lot , repeat a lot of inertia  .     

• Like 1

I don't do magazines in general. They pile up, and I don't have time to read them.

That said, while Milk Street was a good-looking piece, it didn't entice me to the tune of 20 bucks for a year's worth. I would be much more likely to subscribe to something like the old Gourmet, or Food and Wine.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

18 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That would be $39.93 Canadian at current exchange rates.  No thanks.  I looked at my niece's copy (initial copy not available to Canadians) and I did not see much that appealed to me other than the caramelized oranges.  But then,  unlike a lot of people I don't have much if any, interest in the science behind food, which I thought this magazine had a lot of.

I was also lucky enough to get a look at the first issue  and saw nothing there that would tempt me and believe me I am easily tempted by magazines.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I opened it this morning.

Gave it a good skimming.

Some pics of foods that I crave but can't shouldn't eat. xD

It was free — I'm not going to judge it much based on a single issue other than to say that the font is too damn small!

At this point, I doubt I'll subscribe unless there's a reasonably priced Kindle version.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Once many years ago, I had sort of an epiphany.  I had seen many cooks hawking their new cookbooks on TV shows by presenting a recipe from their new book. I had bought a few of them. Christopher Kimball (who I didn't know at the time) (and I wondered how could someone so skinny could be a good cook) appeared on one show with his new cook book (Yellow Farmhouse, i think it was) with a fried chicken recipe. I tried it and it was really good so I bought that book and found that there was no other recipe in the book that I wanted to try. The other books I'g got  were similar: The featured recipe on the TV show was the best recipe in the whole  book.  Since then I have been happy to try the recipe presented by a new cookbook and not buy the book.  The same is how I feel about the premier issue of the magazine.  They probably spent a lot of time making sure the magazine is going to impress enough people to sell subscriptions.  I have tried two recipe from the magazine so far and am not impressed with either. One was for scrambled eggs and one was for cheese and pasta. Neither one was very good so I imagine the future recipes won't be either.

• Like 4

Im going to let my library system do the heavy lifting here.

if CK was not involved in anyway , Id give it a go for one year.  Id also cancel that credit card after the purchase.

as ' just in case ' insurance.    and continuously charging for a magazine might be the norm , but Fine Cooking always sends me

renewal notices at the lowest price and does not automatically charge me.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

He just sent me free Thanksgiving recipes via email.

I feel special. 7cc7NmS.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Has anyone other than Norm cooked anything from the magazine?  My niece made the caramelized oranges and said it was nothing special.  That was one of three  recipes  I had earmarked.  The other two are the carrot salad and because I am probably the world's worst pastry cook, I may try the pie crust.  Hope springs eternal and all that.  Those were the only recipes that held any appeal for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

He just sent me free Thanksgiving recipes via email.

I feel special. 7cc7NmS.gif

You've always been special.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Has anyone other than Norm cooked anything from the magazine?  My niece made the caramelized oranges and said it was nothing special.  That was one of three  recipes  I had earmarked.  The other two are the carrot salad and because I am probably the world's worst pastry cook, I may try the pie crust.  Hope springs eternal and all that.  Those were the only recipes that held any appeal for me.

Honestly, I have so many other exciting recipes that I want to get to from sources other than Milk Street that I'm unlikely to try anything.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I have the issue and have been reading it all the way through, little by little. I am almost done. I have tried three or four of the recipes.  The very first one was good but needs some tweeking, Imo. The others were not "Keepers". All through the magazine I keep thinking about two quotes. One by Johnny Carson " You buy the premise, you buy the bit" and the other by Ernest Hemingway,  about a "crap detector" in his head, something related to faulty logic principles. Kind of the same thing with Cooks Country, et al.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2

@Norm Matthews  

I completely agree.  I was interested in the ""  Slaw ""  article, and was hoping for insight into new directions.

the intro added nothing to my knowledge about slaw , and , a Cardinal Sin Indeed , simply bad-mouthed Mayo.

take the mayo , or leave the mayo .   Its not new to leave it out.   

that left me with a Rx that had no foundation at all.    I have plenty of Salad books etc  that have similar Rx's in them.