• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

rotuts

Christopher KImball and "Milk Street"

MelissaH   

As an editor, I'd wonder if that sort of text was ready for me yet, or if it needed another pass by the author before coming to me.

• Like 1

kayb   

I would have spoken harshly to one of my reporters had they handed in such to me. 

gfweb   

Such is the quality of internet food writing.

No editors = crappy cliche-ridden prose.

On the first page of this thread, I mentioned my take on the writing (in the first issue) with two analogies : "One by Johnny Carson " You buy the premise, you buy the bit" and the other by Ernest Hemingway,  about a "crap detector" in his head, something related to faulty logic principles. " Most of the time, the intro to an article -the premise- didn't sell the rest of the article.    l like the term 'crap detector' 

• Like 2

Anna N   
11 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

On the first page of this thread, I mentioned my take on the writing (in the first issue) with two analogies : "One by Johnny Carson " You buy the premise, you buy the bit" and the other by Ernest Hemingway,  about a "crap detector" in his head, something related to faulty logic principles. " Most of the time, the intro to an article -the premise- didn't sell the rest of the article.    l like the term 'crap detector' 

It is worthy of being quoted in full:

"The most essential gift for a good writer is a built-in, shock-proof, shit-detector.” –Ernest Hemingway

• Like 4