• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Extending hummus shelf life

Hi,

We make hummus on commercial scale and were trying to find out ways in which we can extend the shelf life of hummus, both naturally and through preservatives. We use chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, virgin oil, water and salt and citric acid to make hummus. What should be the proportion of these ingredients which might lead to extend the shelf life of hummus to at least 2 weeks. 

Also, if we add preservative potassium sorbate to hummus, what should be the amount which we should add to extend the shelf life? Is there any other preservative that we should add.

Hope to hear from someone on this.

Regards,

Moile

13 hours ago, Moile79 said:

...........We use chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, virgin oil, water and salt and citric acid to make hummus. What should be the proportion of these ingredients which might lead to extend the shelf life of hummus to at least 2 weeks. ....................

- You do not use Garlic in your Humos?

- You are seriously not only asking for a recipe but a specific recipe for long shelf life.........I mean seriously......this would be a licensed and paid commercial information.

Finally, there are as many Humos recipes as types of Honey worldwide.

There is no universal recipe for quantities or color or texture or taste or smell.

I am baffled by this topic. You say "we" (whoever "we" are) are already in commercial production, but you seem to know little about hummus.

Now you expect someone to give you the secret of long life hummus. As @Nicolai rightly points out, such knowledge would be an asset to any commercial producer. Why would they give it to you, a competitor, for free?

Anyway, I don't want to eat two week or longer old hummus. Why not go for promoting yourselves on the freshness of your produce, once you learn to make it?

I, too would like to know your current process. Do you make your own tahini? If not, why not? I note you say virgin oil. Hopefully virgin olive oil. Why water and citric acid? And yes, the omission of garlic is worrying, unless you just forget to mention it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto