• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping Baked Goods Fresh

Shel_B

This year I'd like to make a batch of scones to take up north and have with breakfast the day after the holiday.  The best I can do is make the scones T'giving day morning for eating the next morning.  If I make the scones in the AM, they may well be warm by the time we're ready to leave.  What's the best way to pack these items - and, perhaps, other baked goods - so they'll stay their freshest and deteriorate the least.  I'm concerned, also, about wrapping them for transport and getting condensation and moisture on them and having them suffer from that, too.  Thanks!

... Shel

One data point. The basic-biscuit-sized scones that are baked at Ren Faire for Tea With The Queen are cooled for about an hour and then placed in a lidded plastic tub to to await service. Condensation has never been noticed. I would be concerned if you were wrapping them tightly, however.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

In my opinion, scones become sad shadows of themselves within a day.

It must depend upon the scone and recipe. The scones I refer to, cream scones, are just as tasty Sunday afternoon as they were Saturday morning.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Sounds like the OP should have no problems with baking a day ahead if his scones are also such good keepers - and plenty of time to pilot out the storage conditions to verify it.

My experience is that the charm of a freshly baked scone diminishes more significantly over the course of a day than something like a quick bread.

• Like 2

This thread got me thinking of making some scones so I pulled up my go-to recipe from Luna Cafe:  The best scones in the entire universe, and noticed that it includes some storage suggestions that may be useful, depending on what kitchen facilities you will have at your disposal.  

• Scones should be eaten right out of the oven. They are not nearly as good even only an hour after baking. The good news here is that you can make them ahead and keep them in the refrigerator for a day or even longer before baking, usually with no deleterious effect.
  • If you do have leftover baked scones, simply warm them one or two at a time in the microwave for around 10 seconds. The texture will soften beautifully.
  • You can freeze scones after cutting and before baking. Completely defrost before baking and increase the baking time as necessary.
  • Leftover baked scones can be frozen. When you want to serve them, thaw completely and reheat in a 350° oven for 4-6 minutes or in a microwave for around 10 seconds, just to warm through.

This last bit, from the same source, won't help you with your query but it beautifully encapsulates my ideal scone experience:

The setting in which you eat the scone definitely affects the experience. Have your loveliest English bone china, hand crafted pottery, or Asian iron tea pot heated and at the ready, along with water brought just to the boil, a hauntingly fragrant loose leaf tea, and a beautiful tea plate on a tray, with unsalted butter and the most delicious jam you can find (preferably homemade) alongside. When you pull the scones from the oven, brew the tea, and then arrange the still hot scones on your plate. Retire with your tray to a secluded spot, such as the garden in summer or near the fireplace or a view window in the winter. Now savor fully over the next half hour.

• Like 6