• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Overload of Eggs

Shelby

My farmers have started a new business selling free range chicken eggs.  They are getting over 10,000 eggs a day.  Yeah, not a typo.  10,000.  Their buyer won't buy them until the chickens are laying eggs of a certain size (yeah, that seems so silly to me)  which will be happening within a week or so.  Anyway, they are, needless to say, giving away eggs.  We couldn't resist taking quite a few.  There are 60 pictured here and I have ...well, lets just say I have a lot more in the fridge.

photo.JPG

Aren't they pretty?

Yes, I wish I had a freeze dryer but I don't.  Anyone have experience freezing eggs?    Any recipes that use a zillion eggs that I could then freeze and use when hunters are in or for the holidays?  I'm open to all of your wonderful ideas.

• Like 3

quiche comes to mind, can you make mini ones, wrap individually and freeze?

this is a hard one for me, I HATE eggs, it is literally the one food I can't stand to even smell (obv., when they are cooked) so quiche is kryptonite to me...but uses lots of eggs!

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Wow, Shelby, that is a lot of quiches, pound cakes, omelets, pasta, etc.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Wait!  @ninagluck's eggnog!  

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Wait!  @ninagluck's eggnog!  

YES!!!  Ok, I must stock up on booze.

1 minute ago, ninagluck said:

yep, and for the whites go for my pumpkinseed crisps

kürbisknusper.jpg

How perfect.  I also have a glut of pumpkins.

I'm going to be a busy girl.

Oooooooh, I could give eggnog as gifts.........

• Like 1

Scotch eggs, pickled eggs. Devilled eggs.  They should have a fairly long shelf life if properly treated so you might easily have them to make devilled and pickled eggs for Thanksgiving.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, IowaDee said:

Remember your tricks to get rid of your extra zucchinis?  Well do the same thing with the eggs but  call it a "Pullet Surprise"  How;s that for a real groaner?  

xDxDxD

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

xDxDxD

I grew up in Britain and when we children harangued the adults about what was for dinner or lunch they often told us "bread and pullet" (bread and pull it).  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

You could make several breakfast stratas and have breakfast covered for the duration of the hunting season.  I would just line the casserole dish with tin foil that's been sprayed with Pam first so that you can lift out the strata once baked, cool then wrap securely and freeze until needed- oh, and bread pudding for dessert uses a lot of eggs.  Doris Greenspan has a chocolate bread pudding recipe to die for!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Pickled eggs.

Yep. Tasty and if you wash a couple of them down with a beer in the afternoon, you can be sure evening guests won't overstay their welcome. :P

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Is the problem that you don't know what to do with eggs, or more that you need to do something with them so you can reclaim your refrigerator space? Eggs have quite a shelf life, especially if you'll be cooking or baking with them.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

21 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Is the problem that you don't know what to do with eggs, or more that you need to do something with them so you can reclaim your refrigerator space? Eggs have quite a shelf life, especially if you'll be cooking or baking with them.

More that I have so many eggs that I need ideas on what to do with them.  The 60 I showed you are going to sit on my counter.  They've never been in the fridge so they should be fine for quite a few weeks.  I wonder if the ones in my fridge last even longer?

• Like 1

You lucky gal - I love eggs & wish I had your problem! :x

All the desserts! Flan, custard, ice cream, iles flottantes, angel food cake, pudding, pavlova, lemon meringue pie, lots of cake with custardy fillings....

A pile of soy sauce marinated eggs or tea eggs.

The world's largest omelette? Biggest bowl of egg salad ever?? :P

• Like 4

Breakfast burritos.  I used to scramble up ten eggs at a time with a little sausage and cheese, wrap them in tortillas and refrigerate them.  I'd like to think that they'd freeze well, but never tested it.  They were just too handy as out-the-door nuked snacks in the morning.

• Like 1

When Kerry Beal and I make our trip to Manitoulin in July 60 eggs would be only a starting point!xD That's a mere 5 dozen. @Shelby you need a hospital and a clinic or two to help you get through those eggs in no tme. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Funnily enough I was invited to my free range egg suppliers farm yesterday. They have 7.5k hens and eggs to match daily. As you drive by the hens are out and about. We don't have a fox issue on this little Isle so predation is only by polecats which are easier to defend against apparently. For some hens at a young age they produce the delightful pullet egg. I was given a tray of these 30 in all to play with. All eggs, 12 large and 30 pullet were laid on the day I collected. 

They say that a boiled egg this fresh is difficult to peel the shell off, well, not if you sous vide them it isn't. 

I have always stored my eggs at room temp, and in UK eggs are not washed so retain the protection. I've never had a problem with eggs stored like this. I would suggest leaving them out of the fridge for instant use without absorbing fridge food odours. 

It's a lot of eggs to plan for but they are my fav food. Uncooked, you can't spin them or freeze them. The Quiche idea I find quite compelling, let us know. M

• Like 1

Separate them, package them by weight, freeze them  and sell them to bakers/bakeries.

Edited by Soupcon
forgot to include "freeze them" (log)
  • Like 1

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh