• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

5 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I mean basic vs. acid. Here we cure eggs with an acidic vinegar pickle. 

As we do in the UK.

Still not sure what you mean by "basic" though. In my head things are either acidic, alkaline or, rarely.neutral. I'm trying to remember my chemistry classes from high school, but they didn't make sense to me decades ago and I doubt they will now, but I don't remember anything called "basic" until Microsoft came along.

The "century egg" cure is alkaline.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 minute ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I mean basic vs. acid. Here we cure eggs with an acidic vinegar pickle. 

As we do in the UK.

Still not sure what you mean by "basic" though. In my head things are either acidic, alkaline or, rarely.neutral. I'm trying to remember my chemistry classes from high school, but they didn't make sense to me decades ago and I doubt they will now, but I don't remember anything called "basic" until Microsoft came along.