• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

17 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I may never make these eggs, because the ingredients for the cure are not accessible to me either for the olden or modern version.

I don't know anyone here who makes them either. We buy them from the local market/supermarket.

17 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

One further question from pesky me: Is the quicklime in your recipe for the traditional eggs the same stuff one would use on a lawn or in the stables? The cure depends on a base? Are the eggs cured in the shell from a raw state? Okay, three questions, sorry.

How long will these eggs remain good to eat after the preservation treatment? FOUR :$

Q1 Quicklime. I don't know. I suppose so. Are there different kinds of quicklime?

Q2 Depends on a base. Don't know what you mean.

Q3 Yes

Q4 I've never tested but at least months.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I may never make these eggs, because the ingredients for the cure are not accessible to me either for the olden or modern version.

I don't know anyone here who makes them either. We buy then from the local market/supermarket.

5 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

One further question from pesky me: Is the quicklime in your recipe for the traditional eggs the same stuff one would use on a lawn or in the stables? The cure depends on a base? Are the eggs cured in the shell from a raw state? Okay, three questions, sorry.

How long will these eggs remain good to eat after the preservation treatment? FOUR :$

Q1 Quicklime. I don't know. I suppose so. Are there different kinds of quicklime?

Q2 Depends on a base. Don't know what you mean.

Q3 Yes

Q4 I've never tested but at least months.