• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting a free-range chicken

MelissaH

Here's one of my favorite recipes for braised chicken, and it can be made with young supermarket chickens with reduced cooking time. The recipe was designed for stewing birds, however. This is from my Betty Crocker Cookbook, published 1976, copyright 1969. I found a link on the Betty Crocker website with a recipe for Chicken Fricassee. The copy of the book in the image looks new. Mine is yellowed and beaten up, but still much loved.

I have not served this to anyone who has not loved it. 

There is always Chicken Cacciatore. You would have to increase the simmering time for a tougher bird, because this recipe calls for a fryer.

I think this recipe would be delicious, but I'm sticking to my original one in the 1976 book. It calls for 2 crushed cloves of garlic and a 1 pound can of whole tomatoes instead of the 14-1/2 oz can of diced ones. (Won't be long, and our kids will be working with 3.9 oz cans with clever false bottoms. :)) It also calls for the onions sliced into rings, and I'd like them better than the chunks the new one calls for. The old recipe says to dice the bell pepper, but many years ago, I started slicing them into rings, and adding at the top to steam just until crisp tender at the end of cooking time. That's the way I like them, and they really make a pretty garnish for the dish. Some like it over rice, but I like it over spaghetti. With a nice salad and some crusty or garlic bread, I am in heaven with this dish.

There's also a Greek braised chicken dish I make when I don't have bell pepper in the house. It's similar to cacciatore, but no bell pepper, no mushrooms, and it's simmered with a cinnamon stick. I also really like this over spaghetti.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <