• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen gadgets needed to give as gifts

gfweb

anna,

I use mine primarily for bottled things like pickles and pickled peppers and such.  Also they're really handy for anything that's hard to get at.  I find uses for mine all the time mainly because I keep them in my tool caddy that's right on the counter.

It's a nice gift for some who loves all things kitchen and who maybe already has most everything.

I wouldn't part with mine.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Except for very fancy plating  which I am unlikely to ever undertake,  I remain unconvinced that I need these.   I have precision pliers for removing pin bones. I usually cook my bacon in the oven so no flipping necessary. What other uses  am I missing out on?   I actually have a pair of very long tweezers that languish in a drawer somewhere but I've never thought of moving them into the kitchen.   Convince me that I should and at the same time you'll be making a case for why these would make a good holiday gift.

I have used mine just this past week or so for prying some olives out of a tall, narrow jar.  I used them to place some vegetables into a hot pot around a partially roasted guinea hen, without burning my hands and fingers because I wanted them placed precisely.  In fact most of the time I use them it is to avoid touching hot pans when something needs shifting and a fork just doesn't do the trick.  I've also used them when lacing up a turkey or large roasting hen because I can hold onto them easier than a trussing needle.  

Oh.  I also used them last night to retrieve a measuring spoon that fell under the burner on my stovetop, while I had a skillet on the burner.  I didn't want to move the skillet, turn off the burner and wait till everything cooled.  I keep them in one of my tool caddies so they are always handy.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Ooh, thanks for the reminder about measuring cups, @FrogPrincesse! One of my favorite kitchen tools - I have one for each of my present residences - is the Perfect Beakerir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B001BDLWE.  I love its multiple scales so that I can do cups, tablespoons, milliliters and 3 other volumetric scales.

The 'what do I have in both places' train of thought leads me to another favorite set of gadgets: the silicone covers like this Charles Viancin poppy-shaped coverir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00G9FVSR.  They make a great seal; they're microwave- and oven-safe; they come in a variety of sizes and designs.  I picked this link based on cost and size, but there are many more choices.  I have them ranging in size and shape  from 'cover a mug in the microwave' to 'cover a casserole dish in the oven'. If I were doing gifts I'd consider giving a package with a mug, a small cover and some wonderful drink mix.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

A flexible measuring device like this ISI 4 cups. Super easy to grip & maneuver.

I like the looks of that!  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

Ooh, thanks for the reminder about measuring cups, @FrogPrincesse! One of my favorite kitchen tools - I have one for each of my present residences - is the Perfect Beakerir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B001BDLWE.  I love its multiple scales so that I can do cups, tablespoons, milliliters and 3 other volumetric scales.

The 'what do I have in both places' train of thought leads me to another favorite set of gadgets: the silicone covers like this Charles Viancin poppy-shaped coverir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00G9FVSR.  They make a great seal; they're microwave- and oven-safe; they come in a variety of sizes and designs.  I picked this link based on cost and size, but there are many more choices.  I have them ranging in size and shape  from 'cover a mug in the microwave' to 'cover a casserole dish in the oven'. If I were doing gifts I'd consider giving a package with a mug, a small cover and some wonderful drink mix.

I wouldn't be without my Viancin lids!  Perfect for when I have some bread dough bulk fermenting. No messing about with plastic wrap and since my bowl is usually deep enough I don't even have to wash the lid. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

iSi has some nice silicone tools that are cheap and excellent. Their "scraper" dealie ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B000S13FVis awesome for getting bits out of bowls and passing things through a tamis. They also make some fine spatulas.B000S171GMThey're much firmer than most spatulas (which makes them less useful for some tasks) but the firmness makes them much better than typical spatulas for many tasks. And they're all one piece, so they're more hygienic and easier to clean (plus, they're dishwasher safe). Get the slim and the wide (or the slim and the spat). 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

iSi has some nice silicone tools that are cheap and excellent. Their "scraper" dealie ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B000S13FVis awesome for getting bits out of bowls and passing things through a tamis. They also make some fine spatulas.B000S171GMThey're much firmer than most spatulas (which makes them less useful for some tasks) but the firmness makes them much better than typical spatulas for many tasks. And they're all one piece, so they're more hygienic and easier to clean (plus, they're dishwasher safe). Get the slim and the wide (or the slim and the spat). 

So the "scraper dealie" is in my cart. May stay there for a bit until I need other stuff. It looks as if it will overcome some of the shortcomings of my current bowl scrapers. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

That slim iSi spatula is another favorite that I'd forgotten about.  I've all must abandoned my other spatulas in its favor. Thanks for the reminder.  A bowl scraper and a dough cutter/scraperir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B014K0EUJ are two other gadgets took me a long time to discover and quickly became indispensable in my kitchen.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

That slim iSi spatula is another favorite that I'd forgotten about.  I've all must abandoned my other spatulas in its favor. Thanks for the reminder.  A bowl scraper and a dough cutter/scraperir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B014K0EUJ are two other gadgets that, once I tried them, I wondered how I'd managed without them.

Yes!  A dough/bench scraper is an essential in my kitchen.  I even make sure to pack one when we go north.  It's not just for pastry/bread work but makes an ideal implement to move stuff from your cutting board to your pan if you're not lucky enough to have prep space right next to the stove. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Epicurean cutting boards are also good, inexpensive gifty things. They're made from a paper/fiber composite material that's durable, sanitary, and easy on knives. And they're dishwasher safe. They're apparently also "eco friendly" if you're into that kind of thing. They're nice and thin, so I can stack several in my board-storage drawer. I have 3 of my own (black, brown, tan) that I use for different purposes. It's nice to have a dedicated board for onions, garlic, and other stank vegetables so you can use another board for slicing things like apples or pears. I've had one too many "faintly garlicky" slices of apple in my life.

• Like 5

Has anyone mentioned silicone lids in various sizes and shapes?

I have a bunch of them that fit everything from a mug to a large rectangular baking dish.

They work in the OVEN as well as in the microwave.  

This is a photo I took a few years ago.  Since then I have added several more of the Charles Viancin lids and other accessories, including the big "banana leaf" and the Sunflower lids.  Also the "Overboil" large ring that keeps liquid in the pots.  The last time I was in Bed, Bath and Beyond they had a special on some of these products.

The ENTIRE range of lids is on this page - It takes a while to load.  There are several I would like to have to add to my "collection" - especially the large oblong "Poppy" and the Maple Leaf dome.

Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 9.36.26 AM.png

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Though of one myself, the sizzle platter. http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/tools-test-kitchen/article/sizzle-platter.

I tend to use 1/8 sheet pans this way...but same idea and useful.

And it fits in CSB or BSO

May have to stop reading this damn thread also.   Mind you these things are $135 each on the Amazon.ca site so I'm pretty safe!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Though of one myself, the sizzle platter. http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/tools-test-kitchen/article/sizzle-platter.

I tend to use 1/8 sheet pans this way...but same idea and useful.

And it fits in CSB or BSO

I have many of the Lodge* cast iron sizzler server thingies (here and here.)

Target carries some of them. They put them on sale frequently with free shipping on a minimum order.

*And some that aren't Lodge.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

4 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I have many of the Lodge* cast iron sizzler server thingies (here and here.)

Target carries some of them. They put them on sale frequently with free shipping on a minimum  

*And some that aren't Lodge.

The cast-iron ones show up frequently in the thrift stores I visit but I have never seen the aluminum ones as far as I recall.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The cast-iron ones show up frequently in the thrift stores I visit but I have never seen the aluminum ones as far as I recall.  

Try eBay Canada.

Often listed as sizzle, sizzler or fajita.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not to threaten the safety of your finances, but this one is on Amazon.ca @ 13.66 CDN

Didn't see that one!   But I have already put a lock on my purse strings at least for this month.  

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, gfweb said:

But it is amazing that when you change the .com to .ca the price doubles. O.o

My 2004 eG Blog