• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen gadgets needed to give as gifts

gfweb

22 hours ago, Anna N said:

But it is amazing that when you change the .com to .ca the price doubles. O.o

Painfull, indeed.  But just to clarify a bit, the one that I linked to is priced at $9.22 on .com and $13.66 on .ca.  That's a increase beyond the straight exchange rate, which would be $12.36, but not quite double.

The JB Prince version that @gfweb linked was priced lower at $7.60 but there was an additional $7.50 shipping charge and I couldn't find it on .ca.

At this point, I have the corn peeler, 2 aluminum sizzle platters, an iSi "scraper" dealie and a Joseph Joseph scoop colander in my cart.  I'm waffling on the Swiss star peeler.  Thank you @gfweb, for my holiday gifts to me xD!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

I was chatting with an ex neighbor, who moved a few miles away a few years ago.

She reminded me that when I first moved here, in 1988 and got acquainted with them, and after her husband did a number of repairs in my home.  And installed some things that were too heavy for me, I wanted to pay them but they refused my money.

So on a ruse, I took Celia to Star Restaurant Supply and asked her advice on purchasing some things and asked her for her "wish list" - I bought them and presented them to her.  

For folks in the greater L.A. area, this is a treasure trove for the avid cook.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

57 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Painfull, indeed.  But just to clarify a bit, the one that I linked to is priced at $9.22 on .com and $13.66 on .ca.  That's a increase beyond the straight exchange rate, which would be $12.36, but not quite double.

The JB Prince version that @gfweb linked was priced lower at $7.60 but there was an additional $7.50 shipping charge and I couldn't find it on .ca.

At this point, I have the corn peeler, 2 aluminum sizzle platters, an iSi "scraper" dealie and a Joseph Joseph scoop colander in my cart.  I'm waffling on the Swiss star peeler.  Thank you @gfweb, for my holiday gifts to me xD!

Much of the time for stuff not coming directly from Amazon.ca the price becomes ridiculous.   But the very worst practice to me is when you see something priced at $7 or so and just as you were about to put it into your cart you see that the shipping for that item alone is  $38.50.   I wish Amazon would cease this practice completely.  I think so far you've done more damage to your bank account then I've done to mine but there's still time.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I was chatting with an ex neighbor, who moved a few miles away a few years ago.

She reminded me that when I first moved here, in 1988 and got acquainted with them, and after her husband did a number of repairs in my home.  And installed some things that were too heavy for me, I wanted to pay them but they refused my money.

So on a ruse, I took Celia to Star Restaurant Supply and asked her advice on purchasing some things and asked her for her "wish list" - I bought them and presented them to her.  

For folks in the greater L.A. area, this is a treasure trove for the avid cook.

Get thee behind me. Thankfully, I am far from the Greater LA area.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Jaccard tenderizers are relatively cheap and are a great gift for anyone who cooks a lot of meat.

Michael Ruhlman has a collection of kitchen stuff that's pretty solid and usually goes on sale around the holidays. The "bad ass egg spoon" is great, and not just for eggs. It's my go-to slotted spoon. 

I have the mixed-size set of offset spoons (basting spoon and two larger serving spoons) and like them as well. I also have the straining cloths (which are great) but they're apparently out of stock and have been for some time.

The Acaia wood paddles and the meat mallet are on my "buy next" list. Just waiting for a coupon code...

• Like 2

Here's another favorite of mine: the Emsa Perfect Beakerir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B001BDLWE.  It has volumetric measurements in tsp, tbsp, ml, cups, fl, oz and pints.  Its conical shape allows good precision, and it seems to be pretty accurately marked based on water weight measurements I've made.

Along similar lines is the Oxo 2-oz angled measuring cupir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B0187ZKCI.  They make larger sizes too, which generally have handles and take up more space.  What I like about this is that it's graded in tbsp, oz and ml and very useful for small quantities. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

I received this as a gift a long time ago and still use it very frequently.  

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ive been hemming and hawing etc about the two GK spoons for a long long time

the second being the perforated ?

JB Prince Gray Kunz Perforated Spoonir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B0187ZL5U

prices are all over the board.  if I could find both at an attractive price , with minimal shipping , Id punch return.

does anyone have the perforated spoon ?

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Are the Ruhlman spoons sold only on his site?  I could not find them on amazon.

They also sell on OpenSky.

Probably best to wait for Ruhlman's holiday sale.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Ive been hemming and hawing etc about the two GK spoons for a long long time

the second being the slotted.

prices are all over the board.  if I could find both at an attractive price , with minimal shipping , Id pouch return.

does anyone have the 

JB Prince is the place to go for the Gray Kunz spoons.

Total of $26.80 for both the 9" plain  and perforated.

$9.70 shipping. 

More than I'm willing to spend but I wouldn't mind getting them as a gift. xD

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Are the Ruhlman spoons sold only on his site?  I could not find them on amazon.

They're mostly only sold on his site. I've seen a few places selling Ruhlman stuff online, but the prices were always much (much) higher than just getting it from the source. Like Martin notes, they also sell on Opensky, but the prices are the same. And like he suggests, wait until they run a promo for the holidays. Last year, they ran a 40% off promo on Cyber Monday (and again before Christmas). I'm seriously thinking about getting some offset soup spoons with my wood paddles and the meat mallet.

27 minutes ago, rotuts said:

prices are all over the board.  if I could find both at an attractive price , with minimal shipping , Id punch return.

They're made by JB Prince, and JB Prince is the best place to buy them. They're much cheaper on jbprince.com than they are on Amazon, and there's a new "XL" version with an extra long handle available as well.

Can't really see a use for the perforated ones, but I'm sure that I'd find one if there was one in my possession.

JBP also has some fancy looking tweezers if you're looking for an alternative to normal shiny stainless.

Methinks I'll order the Richmond spoons. I've been wanting the Edge Pro small knife attachment too, which, with a couple other things would bring the order up to $60 for "free" shipping.

Small knives = Better precision xD

• Like 1

well     

Big Knives     Stunning Skll

l   [ed.: Tips Please ]

Ultra Coordination

just saying

and  F.D.:  its been a while here

fortunately   MR is very forgiving

Vote Early and Vote Often

a flier I received so long ago in Chicago

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Apparently, Open Sky is doing a 30% off promo today as a "Mega Monday" lead up to Cyber Monday, so if you just can't wait, pay them a visit.

Gave it serious thought but I think I'll wait a few weeks and see what happens, thanks!

I searched through my kitchen stuff and indeed do not seem to posses a large slotted spoon.  The basting spoons look attractive too.  Invariably (really invariably) when I am basting the spoon eventually slips into the pan.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou