• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What cookware to bring back from Mexico City?

Merkinz

Hey all, 

What awesome cookware can I get during a visit to Mexico City? I'm not really so keen on clay pottery so what else is there? I'm quite keen on getting a cast iron Comal but not sure what else to look for. Any ideas would be most appreciated. 

Already have a great tortilla press and lime juicer.

Maybe a molinillo?   I got a large one many years ago.  Don't really use it but it is a great conversation starter as in, "What the hell is that?:

Not cookware. but I have found beautiful table linens as well.

I think a molcajete would be my first choice. Very useful tool, though quite heavy if you're going to bring it on the plane. I prefer the ones made with coarse stone because they do a better job of crushing and mixing. If you do buy one, be sure to grind white rice in it to smooth out the stone. Do it several times until the rice stays mostly white. At first the rice will be dark, which means that you're grinding off some of the stone. Better to do that than get a mouthful of grit in your guacamole when you use it the first time. If you're interested I have a good recipe for a red salsa that I make in my molcajete.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

• 3 weeks later...

You can't get a molcajete through as a carry on anymore. 

A comal is nice and you can find clay comales now and then. They aren't built to last but I love them. 

Clay bean pots are great. 
A have a flan mold that I bought there that I like a lot 

For me, it's chiles. Even with good ones we can get stateside, there's just nothing to compare. 

• Like 1

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray