• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for Pumpkin Bonbons?

Bentley

I want to do a pumpkin flavored bon bon for Thanksgiving and am looking for inspiration.  Other than Greweling's pumpkin caramel ganache, how are the wonderful chocolatiers of eGullet incorporating pumpkin into their bon bons? 

My favourite pumpkin filling is made this way.

Cut the pumpkin in quarters, discard the seeds and filaments (well, better using the seeds for something else), keeping the pulp attached to the skin. Cover each quarter with aluminum foil, then bake in the oven at 180 C (350 F) for 60-90 minutes, until the pulp is tender. Take out from the oven and let it cool.

With a spoon collect all the pumpkin pulp (beware of skin pieces), put it in a food processor and blitz until you get a smooth paste. Transfer the pumpkin paste on a baking sheet with parchment paper, then gently bake at 80 C (175 F) to loose moisture (without drying it totally).

Temper 1 part milk chocolate, add 1 part pumpkin paste, a pinch of salt then mix (for example 500 g of milk chocolate, 500 g pumpkin paste, 1 g salt).

Since it's partially dehidrated you have a good shelf life and a strong pumpkin flavor.

I prefer to pair it with a bitter ingredient, like rhubarb root, marigold flowers, gentian root...

Teo

• Like 2

Teo