• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alton Brown's ' internet ' cooking show

rotuts

AB seems to be in the process of starting an internet cooking show :

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/30/alton-brown-internet-cooking-show/

and 

""   

Do you miss Alton Brown's classic cooking show Good Eats? You're about to

get more of it... and then some. In a live chat with fans, Brown has

revealed that his previously hinted-at internet cooking show will be a

spiritual sequel to Good Eats, but without the corporate limits that kept

him from cooking certain meals or exploring techniques while on TV. He may

cook rabbit, for example, or work with sous vides -- those just weren't

options on the Food Network, Brown says.

As a sign of the change in direction, the chef spent most of his chat

soliciting ideas from fans. You could see him cooking with only a microwave,

trying Hawaiian food or making poutine. He even floated the idea of making a

Brunswick stew with squirrel meat. The internet-only show won't debut until

sometime in 2017, but it's already evident that Brown plans to take full

advantage of his online freedom -- this won't be sanitized for the sake of

nervous broadcasters.

""

please post here if you hear anything about this.  who knew Rabbit was banned on the FN ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Should be interesting. Wonder if he will improve the noise to signal ratio that was an issue (for me) on GE.

As someone who learned a lot from watching Good Eats and owes a lot to AB, now quite a few years later I somehow agree with you. I really enjoyed the OCD geeky/history stuff at first, but now when I watch cooking shows I really want them to be about the food. I want the chef's personality to compliment the show like thoughtful seasoning, and sometimes Good Eats is a little heavy on the Alton Brown. If I catch GE now, I find myself sort of thinking "c'mon man, get on with it, I don't care who first discovered beans 10,000 years ago". 

• Like 2

I still will watch GE episodes on Netflix when I'm bored.  But, yes, for someone for who was initially much helped by AB, it can seem like going back to 5th grade.

The chains-off aspect sounds good.  I just hope the tone is more seeky than preachy.

• Like 4

Well, Alton is older now, and presumably he wants to move forward.  However, I'd be disappointed if there wasn't some of the old AB in his new series.  I liked the odd bits of history and information attached to the actual cooking, recipes, and techniques.

However he chooses to present his show, I'm happy that he'll be back and sharing his wisdom, humor, and even some silliness, with us.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 4

... Shel

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

he never said you had to watch the shows 4 times , did he ?

No, but a spokesperson from the group  Nationwide Cooking and Food Shows of Bethesda, Maryland, said that the organization highly recommends watching each show three times with a "reasonable amount of time" between each viewing.

• Like 1

... Shel

1 hour ago, Shel_B said:

No, but a spokesperson from the group  Nationwide Cooking and Food Shows of Bethesda, Maryland, said that the organization highly recommends watching each show three times with a "reasonable amount of time" between each viewing.

Garrison Keillor, is that you?

• Like 2