• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Fuchsia Dunlop's "The Land of Fish and Rice"

Chris Hennes

As discussed here, Fuchsia Dunlop has a new book out, The Land of Fish and Riceir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=039325438. Tonight I made one of the quicker recipes from it...

Chicken with Young Ginger (p. 106)

This is a straightforward chicken stir-fry with a large amount of ginger and a soy sauce and Shaoxing glaze. Lacking access to "fresh young ginger" I simply used the ginger I had on hand. Not great, I know, considering that the whole point of the dish is the ginger, but I was hungry and this dish was fast. 

DSC_2918.jpg

• Like 11

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I've made this a few times (not from this book), sometimes using regular ginger and sometimes the specified "fresh young ginger". I've enjoyed both, but the fresh young approach is, to my mind and palate, preferable. The ginger is somehow more alive and peppery, with a fresher taste*.

But all we have to use what we can find.

By the way, ginger grows easily and fresh young ginger is only a few steps away for even the worst horticulturist. Although, if you need to eat tonight, that doesn't help at all.

* Apologies for my inadequate taste describing vocabulary.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Growing ginger is one of my projects for next season's gardening. I'm a pretty fair horticulturalist so it should be interesting to have young ginger (very difficult to find in my area).

• Like 3

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

I was in my local supermarket this evening and, as usual, they had three different gingers.

young ginger.jpg

Young ginger (子姜 - zi jiāng)

regular ginger.jpg

Regular ginger (姜 - jiāng)

old ginger.jpg

Old ginger (老姜 - lǎo jiāng)

The young ginger is mainly used in delicate stir fries such as Chris's example while the old ginger is more used in certain soups, hot pots and stews/braises etc. Regular ginger sits somewhere in between being used in both.

Looking forward to more from Fuchsia's latest book.

• Like 10

@liuzhou

Thanks for that. We do it very very occasionally see young ginger in the supermarket and somewhat more often in the Asian grocer. Our supermarket ginger has improved remarkably in recent years.  At one time it was usually old and mouldy. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@liuzhou

Thanks for posting the photos. Generally what's available in my area is regular shading into old ginger.

Interesting that your photos show clear healthy 'eyes' on the rhizomes.

Edited by Wayne (log)

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

4 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Just slivered potatoes, spring onion greens, and salt, stir-fried briefly to cook the potatoes but leave them a bit firm.

Interesting variation on the more usual version with vinegar. Must try this.

Spicy Chinese cabbage (p. 46)

This requires advance planning since the cabbage needs at least a few hours in the salt, but is otherwise nearly trivial. Its ingredients are cabbage, salt, Sichuan peppercorns, dried chiles, and oil. The chiles and fried quickly in the oil and the oil is then poured over the cabbage which had been resting in the salt and peppercorns. 

DSC_2937.jpg

• Like 6

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Shanghai noodles with dried shrimp and spring onion oil (p. 258)

Hey look, this one's got seafood in it! Sort of. Still cooking from pantry staples. The only fresh ingredient in this one was the spring onions, since I used dried noodles and everything else is just a pantry item. The longest part of the cooking process was the half-hour soak of the shrimp in Shaoxing and water. They are then fried in oil with the green onions, and that combo is poured over noodles. A bit of soy sauce in the bottom of the bowls, and dinner (or lunch, or midnight snack...) is served.

DSC_2942.jpg

• Like 9

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Ningbo soy sauce greens (p. 43)

This is basically bok choy braised in Shaoxing and light and dark soy sauces. Served at room temperature, so you need some advance planning, and it's very rich.

DSC_2946.jpg

Red-braised fish (p. 141)

I'm bad at turning fish over without destroying the lovely crosshatch pattern, so I wouldn't serve this to guests. But braising fish in dark soy and Shaoxing is a good cooking method. I was afraid the dark soy would overwhelm the fish, but it really didn't.

DSC_2952.jpg

• Like 11

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

20 hours ago, liuzhou said:

It isn't particularly overwhelming.

I've always found its flavor quite strong (hence my concern). Any recipe I've tried that had dark soy in them, the flavor was always in evidence, it never seemed to disappear into the background, no matter how little there was.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

"Toothless" glutinous rice dumplings with pork and leafy greens (p. 253)

I'm definitely outside my comfort zone on this one, I've never had this style of dumplings before. Their texture was unexpected. The dumplings are served in a chicken stock, bok choy, and pork soup. 

DSC_2976.jpg

• Like 7

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I might be way off base here, but it's hard to tell from a picture. How similar are those to the Korean rice cakes called dduk or some other spelling that may or may not be along those lines? I can buy them ready-made at the Korean supermarket in Syracuse. If they're at all similar, this would be a super-easy comfort food type of dish.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

@MelissaH, I am not sure, I haven't yet used those rice cakes, though I have a package in the fridge for later this week. I'll make sure to compare the textures when I post about it.

Shanghai stir-fried chunky noodles (p. 257)

Another borderline-trivial dish: stir-fried pork tossed with noodles, bok choy, and soy sauce. I've been working my way through the dozens of available fresh noodles at the store and liked this brand least of all, but I can't exactly hold that against the recipe!

DSC_2986.jpg

• Like 6

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Shanghai potsticker buns (p. 272)

These are yeasted wrappers around a pork dumpling filling. I found the cooking instructions to be a bit off ("high burner" started to burn the ones in the middle of the skillet in under a minute, rather than the 2-4 minutes it was supposed to take to get them browned). Easy enough to compensate for, thought. They were about as easy to make as their non-bun cousins, but ultimately were easier to serve because you can cook them all in one fell swoop instead of doing it in batches.

DSC_2995.jpg

DSC_2997.jpg

• Like 10

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org