• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cross-contamination.....

Martin Fisher

I like this. The Thermopen thread inspired some thought. 

I'll post there later, but for me and my family, I see things a bit different than the industrial/professional setting. 

Keller has a "clerk" following behind him. He knows it, and has become loose in hygiene. That doesn't mean the meal is unsafe. Did he cook thoroughly, and serve timely?

My home environment is certainly different than a Keller establishment. Not the least, he has a mop crew(figuritively and literally). He has a turnover greater than I. 

The greater concern that I frontload, the safer and longer "unlived" are my leftovers. 

27 minutes ago, Spork said:

He knows it, and has become loose in hygiene. That doesn't mean the meal is unsafe.

The chicken may or may not be safe...it likely was...I have no reason to believe that it wasn't .....it was roasted at a high temperature.

The big question is what happened - for CERTAIN - to the pepper mill, the butcher twine, the salt bowl, the side towel after they were contaminated.

Why make extra work for employees when it makes much more sense to operate professionally in a way that a good mentor would?

I've worked in restaurants, I've worked in food packing (honey and related products) and I've worked in dairying....and at home, of course.

I can't speak for others as to why they do or why don't do what they do.

I can say for sure I've never slacked off in terms of food safety or hygiene or whatever you want to call it - in any context - just because someone isn't looking-on or someone else can do the dirty work later, or whatever.

No excuses.

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

4 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

The chicken may or may not be safe...it likely was...I have no reason to believe that it wasn't .....it was roasted at a high temperature.

The big question is what happened - for CERTAIN - to the pepper mill, the butcher twine, the salt bowl, the side towel after they were contaminated.

Why make extra work for employees when it makes much more sense to operate professionally in a way that a good mentor would?

I've worked in restaurants, I've worked in food packing (honey and related products) and I've worked in dairying....and at home, of course.

I can't speak for others as to why they do or why don't do what they do.

I can say for sure I've never slacked off in terms of food safety or hygiene or whatever you want to call it - in any context - just because someone isn't looking-on or someone else can do the dirty work later, or whatever.

No excuses.

I'm not here to give the elite an excuse. But, I see it many times over in film. 

I certainly don't condone it. 

I would not eat Keller's leftovers. 

Many cooking TV shows are filmed in studios without working plumbing. It's very common to see bad food handling practices in these shows. Sarah Moulton is the only one I remember seeing addressing this with the audience and explaining how to do things more safely at home. I guess some people would consider that boring in a cooking show. I really liked her shows. We don't have any airing here now.

It looked like Keller was filming in a real kitchen, though, and could have washed his hands, but that's probably considered boring too. I could not believe he shoved the pepper grinder into the chicken cavity with "chicken" hands! The salt thing would have been okay if the salt was to be discarded and the dish washed, but that looked like a lot of salt to be wasting.

The cooking shows that are aimed at entertaining wider audiences usually never even mention food safety, unless you count Gordon Ramsey screaming, "You served raw f*ing chicken to a pregnant lady! It's RAAAAAWW!" and then smashing the offending dish with his fist so it splatters all over the area. :laugh:

If I have so much as a hangnail, I will don latex gloves before and during handling of any raw meat. It's not just for the protection of those who will eat the food. One can pick up some nasty infections through open cuts from raw meat. I think it was @andiesenji who told a horrifying true-life story about that one.

And yes, safe food practices become automatic. I consider it a matter of pride and integrity to serve only food that is as safe and delicious as I can make it.

> ^ . . ^ <

Two additional violations I see are:

Using some weird generic cutting board. He should be using a color-coded yellow board.

He's wearing a 'side towel' on his left hip. This practice was eliminated by the FDA 2001 federal health code update. In the olden days, one wore the towel to use as an emergency pot holder. It was a point of pride to keep it clean and dry throughout your shift. But, it became pretty obvious that it was acting like a sponge for microbes and splashed food/waste. I have seen Food Network personalities wear one and wipe their hands and counter with one, and then continue to wear it.

• Like 1