• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dorie's Cookies by Dorie Greenspan

blue_dolphin

World Peace cookies. Very easy to make. It's the texture of a shortbread, crumbly and light, with an amazing chocolate intensity and little specks of fleur de sel. I made them a little too big, so my yield was only 24 cookies instead of 36.

Pro-tip - do not freeze the log and then attempt to slice it still frozen. I am lucky to have all my fingers this morning! Plus the slices chattered into a million pieces. I still managed to bake two cookies that way because I HAD to try them last night.

World Peace cookies

World Peace cookies

Edited by FrogPrincesse
typo (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ChrisTaylor said:

My stepdaughter went crazy for the World Peace Cookies.

I liked them, but my husband and daughter both preferred them warm, and weren't crazy about the crumbly/shortbread-type texture. Their loss...

So far my favorites in the book were the brownie drops. These were perfect in every way.

Thanks everyone, for the notes.  I've just reserved this book at my library and will also look for it at Costco.

I'm curious if I'll enjoy it as much as I've loved my Maida Heatter cookie books.  I've loved everything that's come out of her books, and she is a recipe writer extraordinaire.

• Like 1
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I made the "Corked" Breton Galettes. They are salty/sweet, chewy with a bit of crunch, and their flavor was impressive for such a simple recipe. I couldn't stop at just one. I'm making desserts for a fall wedding and these will definitely make the cut. 

breton cookies.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Darcie B said:

I made the "Corked" Breton Galettes. They are salty/sweet, chewy with a bit of crunch, and their flavor was impressive for such a simple recipe. I couldn't stop at just one. I'm making desserts for a fall wedding and these will definitely make the cut. 

breton cookies.jpg

They look great. What's in the middle?

On 11/21/2016 at 7:01 PM, Beebs said:

I caved.  Bought it this weekend from Costco.  It's my reward for fixing our collapsing cookbook shelf & thinning out my collection. :P

I'm especially excited about the savoury cookie recipes.  Has anyone tried them yet?

Well, that explains it.  The reward for thinning the herd is another cow.  I'm the same.  :D

• Like 3

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone tried the Maple-Star Anise sandwich cookies? I'm thinking about making them as an non-pie option at Thanksgiving, and am wondering if they are worth the effort.

The alternate choice would be the World Peace Cookies; they're great (I've made them several times) and they would be a lot easier. Any opinions or other suggestions? 

• 10 months later...

Vanilla & brown butter madeleines. At least as wonderful as the classic madeleines. I used bourbon (Buffalo Trace) as the booze component (rum and scotch are also suggested), and kept the batter in the fridge for about 2 hours before baking.

Vanilla brown butter madeleines #doriegreenspan #doriescookies #madeleines #baking

Vanilla brown butter madeleines #doriegreenspan #doriescookies #madeleines #baking

• Like 9