• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Shel_B

Looking For Great Tasting, Artisinal Bacon

On November 6, 2016 at 11:38 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

Lots of folks say that.

SO and I must have got some from a bad batch — the smoke flavor was horrible (reminded me of the scent of an ashtray.) :S

I bet that wasn't a bad batch and they make it that way on purpose.  That's the perfect way to describe some of the smokier bacons, especially Broadbent, and to a slightly lesser extent Benton.

It can be a bit off putting on first sniff, but I think Benton is a world beating product -- their ham is even more magnificent -- and they are practically giving the stuff away, at very reasonable prices compared to other quality charcuterie. 

Wrights is city bacon, and it's not especially smoky (and hardly smoky at all compared to Benton's, Broadbent's or Father's.) I don't think "horrible smoke flavor" that reminds someone of "the scent of an ashtray" is "the perfect way" to describe smokier bacon. And it's certainly not the way I'd describe Wright's bacon. If DDF got packaged that smelled/tasted that way, it was a defect and he got a bad batch.

Good country bacon smells and tastes like a campfire. It's beautiful.

But +1 on the prices for Benton's. Their bacon isn't expensive at all and it tastes delicious. Father's and Broadbent are also relatively inexpensive (and I love Father's country hams). The only problem is that while the product is cheap(ish), the shipping costs can be high. So it's best to place a big order and spread the shipping costs over a bunch of product. Speaking of which, lookie what just showed up on my doorstep...

IMG_4857.JPG

"End slices" are a tremendous value at $5 a lb. Some can be sort of gnarly looking, and they tend to be fattier than the leaner "proper" bacon, but they're ideal for sandwiches or making lardon or whatever application where you don't really care what it looks like. And frankly, I eat them just like normal bacon since I'm not precious about how the slices look. An even better value is the "bacon seasoning" which are the fatty tips that get sliced off the ends of the belly to make the rest of it easier to slice. They're a paltry TWO DOLLARS A POUND. I use those to make the Momofuku cookbook's ramen broth (which calls for a pound of Benton's) and as a seasoning for beans and greens. Pressure cook them with a couple quarts of water, and it makes for a great bacon stock to cook whatever you want with. (Sometimes I add kombu for a bacon dashi.) I do the same thing with Father's ham hocks, which are also dirt cheap. but I digress...

• Like 8

6 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Good country bacon smells and tastes like a campfire. It's beautiful.

Yes.

• Like 3

Not so much a camp fire. More a forest fire in a forest heavily populated with pigs.

A couple of nights ago, a neighbour knocked on my door fairly late in the evening. She had come by, she told me, to drop off some of her home cured and smoked bacon which was excess to her family's requirements. Actually, I think she was just worried that I didn't have any and couldn't possibly survive the winter without it. They are lovely, lovely people except the Stupids who live downstairs, but I ignore them as much as possible.

Anyway, this is a dry cured bacon which is then smoked until blackened. It is very smoked. It is a full blown lump of smokiness. I'm surprised you can't smell the smoke from wherever you are.

It is now hanging on my balcony next to an old New Year decoration which I have never got round to throwing away. (Neighbour suggested it could do with a bit more hanging - the bacon, not the decoration.) Unfortunately, this is also where I hang my clothes to dry - no electric driers here - so all my clothes now smell of smoked pig. No one seems to mind. Some get rather affectionate. Forget pheromones!

hanging.jpg

The thing weighs just under a kilo. It's probably not what you want on your breakfast plate or in a BLT. I keep looking at it and thinking "baked beans", but I can't find the beans, The locals, including neighbour, use it in hotpots and soups or sometimes in highly spiced stir fries. We don't go in for the delicate (insipid) Cantonese style of Chinese cooking here. We want our food to punch us in the mouth.

烟薰腊肉.jpg

I will try to let you know what I do with it.

Edited by liuzhou typos and clarification (log)
  • Like 9

On 11/6/2016 at 11:38 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

SO and I must have got some from a bad batch [of Wright's] — the smoke flavor was horrible (reminded me of the scent of an ashtray.) :S

I recently tried Wright's again—no sign of 'ashtray' this time. 

• Like 2