• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone making a pumpkin keg?

Smithy

This article on Mike.com made me laugh: How to make a pumpkin keg - you know you want to.  I like the cheekiness of both the title and the idea. I wish I'd thought of it!  

I think the beer would have to be carefully chosen to benefit from the pumpkin.  What say you, beer connoisseurs? Has anyone tried this?  Would this treatment augment some special autumnal brew? 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I know a guy up at Mammoth who makes pumpkin ale and puts it into giant pumpkins with taps for parties he caters.

He has been doing this for several years - he make a "plain" pumpkin ale and a "spiced" pumpkin ale.

He buys the pumpkins from a grower in Bishop who "trains" the pumpkins to grow tall rather that squatty by confining them in 55 gallon drums that have been cut in half and are held together with bands or straps while the pumpkins are growing.  

Apparently there are a lot of people up in that area who use the pumpkins for kegs.

Ben grew up in New England, (Maine and New Hampshire) and told me that pumpkin ale was a "thing" in New England with old timers and he grew up hearing stories about how it was made during prohibition and tucked away in barns, in pumpkins.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I would want to get the pumpkin as cold as possible before filling with the beer. Maybe even freeze the tap. After years of drinking warm to hot drinks, including beer, from saddlebags on trail rides, I come down firmly on the side of ice cold beer.

Other than that, it sounds like a very fun idea! You can tell yourself you are getting your Vitamin A and protein as you imbibe. :laugh:

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

4 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I would want to get the pumpkin as cold as possible before filling with the beer. Maybe even freeze the tap. After years of drinking warm to hot drinks, including beer, from saddlebags on trail rides, I come down firmly on the side of ice cold beer.

Other than that, it sounds like a very fun idea! You can tell yourself you are getting your Vitamin A and protein as you imbibe. :laugh:

Of course, you could just put some of those sealed cooler blue ice things inside. Just wash before freezing, maybe freeze in a plastic bag to keep sanitary (mine fall out of the freezer sometimes), then remove from the bag and place inside the pumpkin.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I phoned Ben this morning and he said he uses one of the large soup or stock cooling "wands" filled with ice inside the pumpkin to cool the ale.  He dumps in ice with rock salt into the wand so it really keeps the ale chilled so well it sometimes has little flakes of ice in it.

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett