• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

B&C not B&B (Bed & Cocktails not Bed & Breakfast)

ElainaA

I hope this is the right place to post this.

My husband and I just spent a weekend at the Safford Mills Inn and Cafe in Bennington Vermont. Although listed as a B&B on Trip Advisor, this is really as B&C (Bed and Cocktails). The building (built in 1774) has 5 guest rooms and the first floor is also a cocktail lounge. They do not serve breakfast but, as a guest, you can order anything (or everything! - there are no limits) from the cafe menu - 3 pages of cocktails, lots of local, artisanal  beers and a some what limited but good wine list. Also a menu of appetizers, flat bread pizzas, quesadillas and desserts. This was a new concept to me and a wonderful one. I am not usually a cocktail drinker - we generally stick to wine (and my husband did so here) but I tried a cocktail each night - first a "passionate cosmo" (vodka,grand marnier, champagne, cranberry juice, passion flower juice) (absolutely delicious),  second a "Bombay afternoon" (Bombay gin, ginger syrup, cardamon bitters, club soda and lemon juice). Also really good. With drinks and a few food items (all very good) we did not have to go out for dinner during our stay.  (The owner commented that his wife likes mixing drinks and neither likes getting up early to make breakfast for guests so this seems like a good idea. The lounge area was full of locals both nights  (Friday and Saturday) but there it was still comfortable - there are four separate, small rooms furnished with couches and soft chairs. Two of the guest rooms are right off the lounge area which could be awkward - we had an upstairs room which was quiet and private.)

Menu here: http://www.saffordmills.com/cafe/

Edited by ElainaA
To correct spelling thank to Thanks for the Crepes. (log)
  • Like 4

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

What a fun concept!  I can quite understand the idea that it's wretched to get up early enough to do guests' breakfasts. As someone with little cocktail experience, I think I'd enjoy the chance to try a few (on different nights) under such circumstances.

Thanks for the report; it sounds like a nice place to stay.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds a lot like what we're doing in New Brunswick.  We are a full B&B with breakfast, but the old place has a bar and dining rooms, so we are also a Cocktail bar and Coffee shop.  Turn of the century rooms, and turn of the century cocktails.  I love having a small bar of my own, but the drawback is the NB liquor licensing laws say I can't consume alcohol while we're open, so I have to wait all night before being able to try out new drinks.

Edited by Reed & Thistle
spelling correction (log)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Reed & Thistle said:

Sounds a lot like what we're doing in New Brunswick.  We are a full B&B with breakfast, but the old place has a bar and dining rooms, so we are also a Cocktail bar and Coffee shop.  Turn of the century rooms, and turn of the century cocktails.  I love having a small bar of my own, but the drawback is the NB liquor licensing laws say I can't consume alcohol while we're open, so I have to wait all night before being able to try out new drinks.

So...after a bit of Googling I presume you're in Gagetown?

Duh. Never mind, I looked up your introductory post in the new members' thread. 

Edited by chromedome
Edited because I'm thick in the mornings (log)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

All good.  Happy to answer questions and invite conversation.  Even if people can dig for stuff on there own, and I put stuff on a web page, it doesn't mean that follow up conversation can't better answer any questions they may have.  In fact I might learn something too.   Hell even of the extent of the conversation is something like...

"Where in NB?"
"We're in the Village of Gagetown (not to be confused with base Gagetown that is about half an hour up the road)"

"Cool thanks"

Right there I learned that you are interested in what we are doing and might stop by if ever in the area, or possibly tell someone to stop by and check us out if they are in the area, where as I wouldn't have known that if you were just lurking. 

Cheers

Gary