• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Tere

1 minute ago, Cyberider said:

Looks like mine from the 1970's which is still going strong. 

The plug makes me think ’70s might be more accurate. I don’t remember when the switch to the polarized flanged plugs 🔌 occurred.156282CD-8433-4CC5-8DB4-1F5BC10835A6.thumb.jpeg.459ed52cece0edd3267ff368b6d82ac8.jpeg

20 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

The plug makes me think ’70s might be more accurate. I don’t remember when the switch to the polarized flanged plugs 🔌 occurred.

I have a smaller cousin of your find, a Model SR-6E, purchased new in LA in 1980.  Has the same plug, though mine doesn't have the protective spring on the end that plugs into the machine. Also still works fine, though I tend to cook rice in the Instant Pot these days. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just in time for Halloween/All Saints/Samhain/Dia de la Muertos comes this wok cauldron.  $20.    It was cleaned and smoothed, so now seasoning starts.   Thing's a beast, 7" deep and about 24" wide.  

I had been looking for a discada, but this is just as good.   Playing with fire on the tao burner.

Before and During pics.

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1038.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The seasoning was finished with hoarded freezer pork fat that was rendered into chicharrons.   All this was an early morning patio endeavor, so I cracked a beer and stirred and sampled the chicharrons as the seasoning continued.

IMG_1043.jpg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1