• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tere

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@chefmd I need a green-with-envy icon. That is a great bargain. I've never seen anything larger than a #8 here in southern California. And since the shelter-in-place order from our Governor in March, there's been no thrift shopping. I'm jonesing to go thrift shopping again so bad they may have to put me into a medically-induced coma to help me survive. 😏

Ditto on the cast iron envy and on the thrift shopping envy!  

I'm really enjoying David Lebovitz's book Drinking French.  I'd like to give it to a number of friends along with a pair of cocktail glasses and an ingredient for a cocktail I think they'll like.  I'd really like to get shopping for those glasses as I know it will take me a while to gather enough of them!

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Ditto on the cast iron envy and on the thrift shopping envy!  

I'm really enjoying David Lebovitz's book Drinking French.  I'd like to give it to a number of friends along with a pair of cocktail glasses and an ingredient for a cocktail I think they'll like.  I'd really like to get shopping for those glasses as I know it will take me a while to gather enough of them!

59 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@chefmd I need a green-with-envy icon. That is a great bargain. I've never seen anything larger than a #8 here in southern California. And since the shelter-in-place order from our Governor in March, there's been no thrift shopping. I'm jonesing to go thrift shopping again so bad they may have to put me into a medically-induced coma to help me survive. 😏

I was missing thrifting as well.   Northern VA is still closed but our beach house AKA Beach Dacha is in Maryland and I take full advantage of that.  This is the first time I found #9.  I will take a photo of our neighbors (antique store owners) massive Griswold pan over the weekend.  Can’t even start to guess what size it is.

• Like 4

@Porthos here is my neighbor’s #20 Griswold.  Regular skillet is for comparison, not sure if it is 8 or 10 inch.

5F3E7CBC-26D7-449F-9A22-98B10E5F0BF0.thumb.jpeg.19b426a91c397441926e0dab0ad07643.jpeg

C078E4E8-074A-4969-8E1E-D8473E55EFA3.thumb.jpeg.a73ba2cc27a4bfefb522731e692ca75a.jpeg

9AE12857-99FD-4571-95C8-A19189F22D59.thumb.jpeg.3d5e2f6cf4aedcccf707377b98409e23.jpeg

• Like 3

@chefmd Impressive. Given that the numbers relate to the "eye" size on a stove, the owner of such a pan would have to own a very large stove.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;