• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Tere

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@chefmd I need a green-with-envy icon. That is a great bargain. I've never seen anything larger than a #8 here in southern California. And since the shelter-in-place order from our Governor in March, there's been no thrift shopping. I'm jonesing to go thrift shopping again so bad they may have to put me into a medically-induced coma to help me survive. 😏

Ditto on the cast iron envy and on the thrift shopping envy!  

I'm really enjoying David Lebovitz's book Drinking French.  I'd like to give it to a number of friends along with a pair of cocktail glasses and an ingredient for a cocktail I think they'll like.  I'd really like to get shopping for those glasses as I know it will take me a while to gather enough of them!

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Ditto on the cast iron envy and on the thrift shopping envy!  

I'm really enjoying David Lebovitz's book Drinking French.  I'd like to give it to a number of friends along with a pair of cocktail glasses and an ingredient for a cocktail I think they'll like.  I'd really like to get shopping for those glasses as I know it will take me a while to gather enough of them!

59 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@chefmd I need a green-with-envy icon. That is a great bargain. I've never seen anything larger than a #8 here in southern California. And since the shelter-in-place order from our Governor in March, there's been no thrift shopping. I'm jonesing to go thrift shopping again so bad they may have to put me into a medically-induced coma to help me survive. 😏

I was missing thrifting as well.   Northern VA is still closed but our beach house AKA Beach Dacha is in Maryland and I take full advantage of that.  This is the first time I found #9.  I will take a photo of our neighbors (antique store owners) massive Griswold pan over the weekend.  Can’t even start to guess what size it is.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Impulse stop at an estate sale this morning - 2 nice pedestal cake plates, 2 square cake pans, 1 small soufflé dish, large stainless bowl, vollrath stainless 12 qt pot w/lid, smells-like-new 48 qt ice chest, all for $40. Glad I took a detour!

0D2EA66A-9ABE-4134-9DBC-EC820934B602.jpeg.03f711c9d68ac170647372c4448eeb84.jpeg

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 15

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Time to bump this thread.

Quick stop to the local Goodwill this morning (I know, living dangerously) provided these:

A quite stout lemon / lime / orange juicer, pretty heavy for it's size, looks well made. Needs a couple of missing rubber feet replaced. Plan on using it outside on the soon to be built deck off the back of the house.

And a Bialetti Mucca Express 2 cup Latte / Cappuccino maker. Have never used one, seen one before. Looks like it was never used. Might be fun to play with, see how it produces. If I determine I don't like it I know people who would, and I'll pass it on.

Due to my old age (Tuesdays are old people discount day) the two items were under $12.00. 

IMG_20210119_153320432.jpg

• Like 14

@CentralMA, that's a delightful pair of finds! I'm especially interested in the juicer, because I was speculating recently that it would be better for juicing pomegranates than my current setup. If you have access to pomegranates (and like them) would you let us know how well your new juicer works on them? I've no idea where I'd keep one if I found it, but I can dream. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

@CentralMA, that's a delightful pair of finds! I'm especially interested in the juicer, because I was speculating recently that it would be better for juicing pomegranates than my current setup. If you have access to pomegranates (and like them) would you let us know how well your new juicer works on them? I've no idea where I'd keep one if I found it, but I can dream. 

I never thought about pomegranate juicing with something like this, I'm more likely to squeeze lemons and limes for cocktail purposes. But homemade grenadine is nice to have, I'll give it a try and report back.

We have a "used fruit store" nearby, where ugly and not quite overripe produce goes to die. Prices are very good and as long as you use the purchases quickly it works out. I've seen pomegranates there recently, I'll stop back there.

• Like 3

Several years ago we were in Turkey where freshly squeezed pomegranate juice was available from vendors in Istanbul. It was done in a press exactly like that. Maybe needs a little more straining to eliminate the seeds. But it was delicious!

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

31 minutes ago, Nyleve Baar said:

Several years ago we were in Turkey where freshly squeezed pomegranate juice was available from vendors in Istanbul. It was done in a press exactly like that. Maybe needs a little more straining to eliminate the seeds. But it was delicious!

Yes same press the juice vendor used when I was treated to it as a child - at Original (1934) Farmers Market in Los Angeles. SO good.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 9:21 AM, Porthos said:

@chefmd Impressive. Given that the numbers relate to the "eye" size on a stove, the owner of such a pan would have to own a very large stove.

Where I grew up in western Kentucky, these were often used on kerosene heater stoves that were about 15 inches in diameter and the entire top would heat anything when the top "radiator" was removed. They were usually used on a porch or even in a barn.  On my grandpa's farm, every barn had one of those heaters and the grooms often cooked their midday dinners in such pans or the largest iron skillets that were 18 inches in diameter, especially in the winters. 

My grandparents cook had several of the huge skillets and used them on the big wood/coal range that was in use in the winter - helped heat the kitchen - but also on the 2 Estate ranges (8 large burners) that were fired by "bottled gas." 

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

7 hours ago, CentralMA said:

Went out looking for pomegranates, everyone is saying they're out of season.

Ah well.

Try Amazon Prime Now... Whole Foods shows pomegranates available.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Tuesdays are old guy discount day at Goodwill.

Picked this up, under $10.00. Waring 2 speed, with pulse. Best thing is it seems to disappear on the countertop.

Edit: This was going to be an addition to an outdoor bar, if I ever build the deck. I have other blenders, so....

This looks brand new, I could flip it (and help pay for the deck) if I could find out it's real value. Waring 60th Anniversary, Model 38BL47. I've been trying to find info on the model, year, etc. 

No luck on the Waring site itself, and after an hour of Google immersion no luck. 

Any ideas?

Edit #2: What looks like a date code shows " 98 08 ", their blenders were introduced in the mid-late 30's, so maybe.

Blender.jpg

Edited by CentralMA (log)
  • Like 13

Central MA - I had that exact same same blender. It was purchased sometime around the year 2000 so I'm guessing that your date code is accurate to 1998. It wasn't especially expensive when purchased (perhaps $60-$75?) and it never was much good. The jar looks cool but nothing moves in it. The blade will whip around the contents immediately surrounding it but the tall narrow jar with all the nooks and crannies takes hold of everything else and you spend most of your time shaking the jar or pushing the contents around with a spatula. I will agree, however, that it looks far better than a Blendtec.

• Like 2

I found one in a thrift shop that looked very similar but was of 70s (IIRC) vintage. My daughter was looking for a blender at the time so I bought it for her.

Her smoothie habit killed it within a year or so, but she loved it while it worked. YMMV, of course.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

EMichael, chromdome, thanks for the info. It was actually kind of what I expected when first seeing it. I've had that style jug in the past, blending most things was an endeavor. As it looks to be never used I may toss it up on Craigslist for a few more $$$ than what I paid. My wife will appreciate that, she gave me that look she always gives me and said "one more thing to clutter up the countertop?".

I'm in the middle of a house cleanout, it's been in the family some 60+ years and has been the destination for other extended family goods looking for a place to retire for whatever reason. I've been finding paperwork going back to mid 1800s Galway/Tuam Ireland area and all types of other items from all the years since.

Batched up all of the linens/blankets/towels etc to bring to Goodwill, unwanted furniture is going to ReStore Habitat for Humanity. Lots of items have gone on Craigslist, will start hitting eBay possibly with some of the more collectible items.

So, did a drop at Goodwill today and saw that parking was readily available so what the hell....

I'm going to get that look again later today.

5"Wx2.5"H BIA Cordon Bleu France #12 sauce pan, no lid, hammered, tinned. Handle is magnetic, pan is not. $4.99. The tinning has a bit of pitting but nothing that will make it unusable.

6.25"W(top width, bottom measures 4")x1.5"H fry (?), Legion Utensils Scavullo, $4.99, pan is magnetic, handle is not. Excellent condition overall. Found this info on the web:

The Legion CopperWare™ cookware features an extra-thick copper exterior. The cooking surface is hand-polished stainless steel that will not react with food. The inner core is cast iron not just at the bottom, but all the way up the sides. The long, stay-cool handles and non-corrosive rivets are made of gleaming stainless. To maintain its appearance, it is best not to put CopperWare™ in the dishwasher.

Fun day. My wife was looking for a small sauce pan for melting butter etc, so I may be able to get this one past her. We'll see.

BothPans.jpg

closeBottoms.jpg

CordonBleuLogo.jpg

Legion Logo.jpg

Legion Overwiew.jpg

LegionBottom.jpg

Pitting.jpg

Edited by CentralMA
Autocorrect is making me crazy... (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CentralMA said:

Michael's, chromosome, thanks for the info. It was actually kind of what I expected when first seeing it. I've had that style jug in the past, blending most things was an endeavor. As it looks to be never used I may toss it up on Craigslist for a few more $$$ than what I paid. My wife will appreciate that, she gave me that look she always gives me and said "one more thing to clutter up the countertop?".

It all depends on your expectations.  I'd recommend putting it through its paces.  The older Waring's can be workhorses though I don't know enough to date that one.  It looks pretty sweet on your counter but if it doesn't do any kitchen tasks you need then I agree it should get the heave ho!

Edited to add:  Nevermind.  I just saw the "Sixty Years of Quality" inscription so it's surely not an oldie as you have already surmised.  Still looks nice 🙃

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

• 5 weeks later...

Found a countertop Cuisinart toaster/convection oven at Value Village a couple of weeks ago for $9.99. New ones sell at $129-$169 in my area, depending on model, but this one is discontinued so I don't know  where it would have fit on that spectrum. Still a bargain, in any case.

Just tested it today (now that it's been thoroughly cleaned) by reheating some roasted potatoes left over from a couple of nights ago. Seems to work great, pending more in-depth workouts.

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 4 months later...

Where have all the thrifters gone? The last post in this thread was Feb 28th...

There's a ReStore near the Aldi's I frequent, made a stop in there today. Found this for $2.50. Vintage NordicWare Krumkake Iron. Doesn't look like it has ever been used.

IMG_20210703_142358803.thumb.jpg.a9169994ae4cd1ce469406fe4a25c28f.jpg:

We have a young man about 10 years of age across the street that really enjoys baking, cooking, all things kitchen. My wife and I have him (and his sister) over frequently, this past Friday morning he was over to make a 4th of July cake, multi layers, multi colors of cake, did all of the assembly and frosting, decorating. He's usually a scratch baker, adept with the scale and knows how much a stick of butter weighs both in ounces and grams. I'll try to find a pic of that cake.

Other times have been to make Strawberry Shortcake, Christmas cookies, Abelskivers, pancake breakfasts, etc. Outdoor cooking, smash burgers, hot dogs, all the fun things.

So for $2.50 I couldn't leave it on the shelf. He's been wanting to do Abelskivers again, these will be a nice addition to my arsenal of weapons of kitchen destruction fun.

Also picked up a very nice paring knife, real good feel to the handle, sharp edge and a little bit longer blade than usual. 49¢

• Like 8