• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Tere

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

I think I found that recipe online, though with a slightly different title:  "Nancy Drew Missing Map Cheese Wafers" (click)  Then click on "Click here to see full recipe".

Yup - same recipe. Must have lost something in the translation.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Last night I was comparison-shopping in local shops and online for a food mill, because I've been going through a lot of applesauce lately.

Today I was in a part of town I seldom visit anymore, and found myself a few doors up from the Salvation Army thrift store. You know where this is going, right? Found one on the shelf, still in its original packaging, with a $9.99 Salvation Army price tag stuck underneath the $39.99 Home Hardware price tag. Clearly, it was meant to be. :)

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly a yard sale, thrift store, or a junk heap, but a friend found this Design & Realisation 20 kg chocolate melter at Second Use, which is mostly architectural salvage & reclaimed materials. Only $75, so I pounced on the deal, hopefully it works and will help with holiday production. (These are over $1000 new!)

6677C641-A15E-4CE5-9B5E-DE14533E35D3.jpeg.214eed37fbae4af8d3f7d12b2ad3f5ab.jpeg

• Like 6

Just now, pastrygirl said:

Not exactly a yard sale, thrift store, or a junk heap, but a friend found this Design & Realisation 20 kg chocolate melter at Second Use, which is mostly architectural salvage & reclaimed materials. Only $75, so I pounced on the deal, hopefully it works and will help with holiday production. (These are over $1000 new!)

6677C641-A15E-4CE5-9B5E-DE14533E35D3.jpeg.214eed37fbae4af8d3f7d12b2ad3f5ab.jpeg

DR has a some warmers that are better than others. Turn it on and flash an IR thermometer over various spots and see if the temperature is consistent throughout. Can you pull out the pan and see the heating element underneath? The one I had for a short while would likely have been fine as a melter but once tempered you couldn't count on it to not overheat in spots (mine had 4 compartments and each one was at a different temperature).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

DR has a some warmers that are better than others. Turn it on and flash an IR thermometer over various spots and see if the temperature is consistent throughout. Can you pull out the pan and see the heating element underneath? The one I had for a short while would likely have been fine as a melter but once tempered you couldn't count on it to not overheat in spots (mine had 4 compartments and each one was at a different temperature).

Thanks for the warning. I don’t have an IR thermometer but I do have 2 mol d’arts I can transfer melted chocolate to for tempering and working. 

the heating element looks like this 

FF8547B2-E88B-4A20-A8AB-25B37C2C3B1B.jpeg.1e098fc2c089dad912f9748cd735f347.jpeg

5 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Thanks for the warning. I don’t have an IR thermometer but I do have 2 mol d’arts I can transfer melted chocolate to for tempering and working. 

IR thermometers are really cheap.  I use mine all the time. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Yup - that's the setup from the crappy one I had. When I talked to Nicolas - he explained it wasn't like a Mold'art with surround temperature - there would be more heat near the element. I was fortunate to find someone who needed to melt compound and passed it on for the same price I paid for it. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yup - that's the setup from the crappy one I had. When I talked to Nicolas - he explained it wasn't like a Mold'art with surround temperature - there would be more heat near the element. 

I’ll have to go back to the salvage store for some scrap metal and add a heat diffuser layer. ;)

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

I’ll have to go back to the salvage store for some scrap metal and add a heat diffuser layer. ;)

Now there's an idea! 

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

Stack two hotel pans with water in the gap between bottoms?  Could work!

Maybe with spacers in the bottom pan to keep the water from getting pushed out by the weight of the upper pan.  Something  the size of the  cap on a bottle of coke, maybe

• 4 months later...

This beauty cost me $2 at a yard sale. It's in excellent condition, of the style that might be called a wok pan or an everyday pan. I like the rounded sides and the anodized nonstick surface. The bowl is about 12" across at the top.

20200229_100233.jpg

It's pretty heavy: my scale says 3lbs 2.2 oz, and I'd have guessed it to be even heavier. That may be why somebody no longer wanted it, since the sale was in a retirement community. I used it last night and delighted in its heft.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy 

what an absolute magnificent find.

as Im sure you know

you could do some winking in this 

i have some CuhisiPro  winks from a long time ago

that are coated 

like this :

Cuisipro Silicone Whisk

mine are grey

consider losing into a similar product

great find 

I'll Toast and Turn All Night !

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Smithy 

what an absolute magnificent find.

as Im sure you know

you could do some winking in this 

i have some CuhisiPro  winks from a long time ago

that are coated 

like this :

Cuisipro Silicone Whisk

mine are grey

consider losing into a similar product

great find 

I'll Toast and Turn All Night !

rotuts, many thanks for that suggestion! In fact I did some whisking last night in the pan, and all I have with me is a metal whisk. I worried about scratching the surface. I'll buy one of those silicone whisks, pronto.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 8/26/2019 at 9:50 AM, kayb said:

I have one of those. Use it a lot.

Kay, this was a "Two tier tiffin that fits perfectly into instant pot"

Could you provide some examples of items you cook at the same time, please?

23 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Kay, this was a "Two tier tiffin that fits perfectly into instant pot"

Could you provide some examples of items you cook at the same time, please?

I use it any time I want to make, say, a meat and sauce to go over rice. Put rice and water in the bottom, meat and sauce in the top, and let it go. I've also done meat in the bottom, let it release, opened it up, added the top layer with veggies, and cooked for a shorter period. I like it for beef tips and gravy over rice, chicken in a curry sauce over rice, mojo pork and Cuban rice, carnitas and Mexican rice. Often the meat needs longer than the rice, so I subtract rice cooking time (it'll take longer than it would just in the pot; I use about 15 minutes in the tiffin) from overall meat cooking time, cook the meat, let it release, add the rice tiffin, cook again.

I've also done a pair of steamed puddings at the same time, and cooked two different vegetables at the same time, but I don't often cook veggies by themselves in the IP.

• Thanks 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

Recent find at local Goodwill here in Central Massachusetts, for the princely sum of $6.99.

Dualit toaster, what looks to be called a "bun warmer".

A little damage on the top, but I may be able to pound that out or get a replacement panel.

These look to be highly repairable, easy parts availability.

Shined up nicely. Works perfectly. Red switch to designate 2 slot or four slot use, and a real tic-tic-tic mechanical timer.

Does anyone know how to decipher the Model and Serial Number to determine age?

front.jpg

damage.jpg

tag.jpg

::EDIT:: Just saw the reflection in the toaster. Shined up nicely, eh? Good thing I had clothes on.

::And another EDIT:: After extensive Googling I believe the toaster was manufactured in the 42nd week of 2006. I have an email inquiry into the company to see if the damaged panel is available, and also verification of the date.

Edited by CentralMA (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

This was a recent find also, well under $5.

Due to the condition of the accumulated years of crust it was impossible to determine the maker, but it sure felt correct, and familiar in my hand. Couldn't lose for the price.

The bottom is dead flat.

A little paint remover soak under a plastic sheet I was able to wire brush through the crud.

Appears to be a Griswold from mid-century?

Not great pics, but they'll give an idea.  

bottom.jpg

710C.jpg

9Handle.jpg

HandleUnder.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CentralMA said:

This was a recent find also, well under $5.

Due to the condition of the accumulated years of crust it was impossible to determine the maker, but it sure felt correct, and familiar in my hand. Couldn't lose for the price.

The bottom is dead flat.

A little paint remover soak under a plastic sheet I was able to wire brush through the crud.

Appears to be a Griswold from mid-century?

Not great pics, but they'll give an idea.  

bottom.jpg

9Handle.jpg

It appears to be a Griswold #* or #9.  mfg between 1939 and1957. If the top of the pan measures just under 10 1/2 inches it's a #8. If larger, it's a #9.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 months later...

@chefmd I need a green-with-envy icon. That is a great bargain. I've never seen anything larger than a #8 here in southern California. And since the shelter-in-place order from our Governor in March, there's been no thrift shopping. I'm jonesing to go thrift shopping again so bad they may have to put me into a medically-induced coma to help me survive. 😏

• Haha 6

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;