• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Tere

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I found this large-logo Griswold #7 for $5.00.  The seasoning is in great shape.  I'll need to find a home for it.  I need another CI pan like I need another knife.

That's a great price.  I tend to see the CI skillets priced very high, even when they're all rusty.  Nice score!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

That's a great price.  I tend to see the CI skillets priced very high, even when they're all rusty.  Nice score!

Definitely!  I see old rusty ones at Vets (Long Beach Flea Market - HUGE) for way way more. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

I found this large-logo Griswold #7 for $5.00.  The seasoning is in great shape.  I'll need to find a home for it.  I need another CI pan like I need another knife.

Griswold_7.jpg

I could offer $30 (and would be willing to) for that one, and it would  barely cover shipping to my neck of woods.... ^_^ You guys have it so lucky with such cookware. :D OTOH in my neck of woods we're happy with excellent quality sheet steel pots from neighbouring country (Slovenia)-can't go wrong with those for sauteeing, stewing dishes in those EMO Eterna dishes...

• Like 3

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

Today @Kerry Beal and I wandered into a thrift store. We haven’t done this in ages. I picked up and put down  many, many interesting bowls and plates.  But this one I simply could not leave behind:

4147AE47-6999-478A-BE33-E1B574EFC97A.thumb.jpeg.2c9bbe4f51085879fb5e4872a0188d0f.jpeg

• Like 19

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

A small cast iron pot and two pasta cutters for 5 dollars.  I have never seen cast iron made in Holland.  

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy”

56D2170E-BC2B-4524-B995-D360F4D2B252.thumb.jpeg.b89743a6dc221390bb908119ea2869d6.jpeg

49B0F1AC-6133-43C2-8FBF-D299CB66E2C6.thumb.jpeg.42579cc7c88592dcf3007affda9b29ce.jpeg

• Like 11

I have several enameled cast iron cooking vessels made by Diepenbrock & Reigers of Ulft, Holland.

Most are blue but I have a couple that are yellow with the "Tulip" design.

They began producing these in the 1930s and continued production to about 1965.

Meanwhile Descoware (Originally Bruxellesware (? spelling) made in Belgium was expanding and the experienced enamel workers migrated to Belgium and worked for Descoware after Diepenbrock & Reigers of Ulft shut down.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

47 minutes ago, chefmd said:

A small cast iron pot and two pasta cutters for 5 dollars.  I have never seen cast iron made in Holland.  

56D2170E-BC2B-4524-B995-D360F4D2B252.thumb.jpeg.b89743a6dc221390bb908119ea2869d6.jpeg

49B0F1AC-6133-43C2-8FBF-D299CB66E2C6.thumb.jpeg.42579cc7c88592dcf3007affda9b29ce.jpeg

I recognize that - my mom had that same pot - trying to recall what she made in it - I think it might have been scalloped potatoes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Can I go thrift shopping with you? You’ve been finding some amazing stuff. Or maybe tell me which stores you’re visiting. I have a small enameled yellow pot made by the same manufacturer and it originally belonged to my oma/grandmother. 🙂

• Like 5

I had someone comment on my having good thrift stores to go shopping in.  I live in a city that is in the top 20 for population in California and thrift shopping one day a week has been a hobby of mine for many years now. Around home I cover the western part of San Bernardino County. I have reason to be in northern Orange County frequently and so I also thrift shop that area when I'm there. I probably average a little less than one item to buy a week, but with the frequency that I shopping and the millions of people living in southern California I do strike gold a couple of times a year.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

16 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I have several enameled cast iron cooking vessels made by Diepenbrock & Reigers of Ulft, Holland.

Most are blue but I have a couple that are yellow with the "Tulip" design.

They began producing these in the 1930s and continued production to about 1965.

Meanwhile Descoware (Originally Bruxellesware (? spelling) made in Belgium was expanding and the experienced enamel workers migrated to Belgium and worked for Descoware after Diepenbrock & Reigers of Ulft shut down.

DRU did not shut down.  They've been in continuous operation since 1754, when 22-year-old Major George Washington was gearing up for the French and Indian wars.  But you are correct that DRU produced enameled cast iron from the 1930s to the 1960s.

Andie, do you have (or have you seen) any of the 1920s American ECI produced by Griswold, Wagner, Favorite, Lodge, Birmingham Stove & Range Co, Vollrath, or others? 

12 hours ago, boilsover said:

Umm, you've never heard of a Dutch oven?  ;)

Thank you for pointing it out.  Your comment sent me down the rabbit hole reading about Dutch oven (apparently only called so in the US), where the name came from (Dutch method of making brass pots), DRU products, etc.  That's why I love eGullet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_oven

• Like 1

18 hours ago, curls said:

Can I go thrift shopping with you? You’ve been finding some amazing stuff. Or maybe tell me which stores you’re visiting. I have a small enameled yellow pot made by the same manufacturer and it originally belonged to my oma/grandmother. 🙂

@curls of course you can go thrifting with me!  We have a beach house in Chesapeake Beach.  This is how my Saturday goes after working looooong hours Mon-Fri.  6 AM leaving Arlington. 7 AM arriving to beach house and unpacking whatever food I brought with me.  7:15 meditation with next door neighbors who have Alice in Wonderland style garden complete with three peacocks (one boy and two girls).  I never thought that meditation was for me but now I crave it like you will not believe.  8 AM breakfast.  8:30 walk on the beach, rain or shine.  Come back, cook lunch by noon.  And, finally, thrifting in Prince Frederick after lunch.  They have four stores there, I can go to one or all depending on how much distressing is needed.  Buying something or not is not the point.  Going to the local butcher shop Nick's is the final and the most pleasant stop of my trip.  They have lovely meat, poultry, fish that are priced lower than a chain grocery store.http://www.nicksofcalvert.com/specials.html    Come back to beach house, unpack, have a small drink, contemplate dinner.  You can join me any Saturday for any or all of the above activities.  And other eGulleters are welcome as well.  Stay for dinner too!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, boilsover said:

DRU did not shut down.  They've been in continuous operation since 1754, when 22-year-old Major George Washington was gearing up for the French and Indian wars.  But you are correct that DRU produced enameled cast iron from the 1930s to the 1960s.

Andie, do you have (or have you seen) any of the 1920s American ECI produced by Griswold, Wagner, Favorite, Lodge, Birmingham Stove & Range Co, Vollrath, or others? 

I have had several Griswold enameled CI pieces but sold them several years ago before I retired, to a collector who was also a patient.  I had 4 red skillets, 6 of the large blue "gratin/fish bakers" and a small dutch oven that was an odd greenish-gray color, inside was cream colored.  I have a Prizer-ware on ebay now.   Years ago I had a couple of odd ones, a chocolate brown  BSR that I gave to my step-daughter in the '80s while I was preparing to move.  I vaguely remember a large skillet that was blue with white speckles - like granite ware but was cast iron.  I'm pretty sure I traded that one for some Griswold with the Cast Iron guy at the Rose Bowl swap meet.  

This is the Prizer-ware

Beautiful turquoise Prizer-Ware long baker or "gratin" Difficult to read "Prizer-Ware" on the bottom, impossible to photo.  14" long x 5" wide at the widest point.  There is one tiny "chip" on one upper edge.  
This was made in the 1950s  by Prizer-Painter, Reading, PA 

1655743112_HPIM1854copy.thumb.jpg.19e5e7d07cfd6dcf268f5f04d279119c.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

@curls of course you can go thrifting with me!  We have a beach house in Chesapeake Beach.  This is how my Saturday goes after working looooong hours Mon-Fri.  6 AM leaving Arlington. 7 AM arriving to beach house and unpacking whatever food I brought with me.  7:15 meditation with next door neighbors who have Alice in Wonderland style garden complete with three peacocks (one boy and two girls).  I never thought that meditation was for me but now I crave it like you will not believe.  8 AM breakfast.  8:30 walk on the beach, rain or shine.  Come back, cook lunch by noon.  And, finally, thrifting in Prince Frederick after lunch.  They have four stores there, I can go to one or all depending on how much distressing is needed.  Buying something or not is not the point.  Going to the local butcher shop Nick's is the final and the most pleasant stop of my trip.  They have lovely meat, poultry, fish that are priced lower than a chain grocery store.http://www.nicksofcalvert.com/specials.html    Come back to beach house, unpack, have a small drink, contemplate dinner.  You can join me any Saturday for any or all of the above activities.  And other eGulleters are welcome as well.  Stay for dinner too!

@chefmd that sounds wonderful! Will have to wait until after the Easter chocolate production but maybe another eGulleter will join you before then. Happy thrifting! Nick's of Calvert looks like a wonderful place to shop.

5 hours ago, chefmd said:

Thank you for pointing it out.  Your comment sent me down the rabbit hole reading about Dutch oven (apparently only called so in the US), where the name came from (Dutch method of making brass pots), DRU products, etc.  That's why I love eGullet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_oven

In this matter, Wiki is not the final authority, I'm sorry to say.  There is much uncertainty.  I believe lidded cast iron pots were imported into Great Britain from Holland before Darby visited to "borrow" the technology.  So it may not be the particular sand-casting process that is the term's origin, but rather the country which first put them into trade. 

If you really want to research the name, you might locate a copy of "Dutch Ovens Chronicled, Their Use in the United States" by John G. Ragsdale, published by the University of Arkansas Press.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I have had several Griswold enameled CI pieces but sold them several years ago before I retired, to a collector who was also a patient.  I had 4 red skillets, 6 of the large blue "gratin/fish bakers" and a small dutch oven that was an odd greenish-gray color, inside was cream colored.  I have a Prizer-ware on ebay now.   Years ago I had a couple of odd ones, a chocolate brown  BSR that I gave to my step-daughter in the '80s while I was preparing to move.  I vaguely remember a large skillet that was blue with white speckles - like granite ware but was cast iron.  I'm pretty sure I traded that one for some Griswold with the Cast Iron guy at the Rose Bowl swap meet.  

This is the Prizer-ware

Beautiful turquoise Prizer-Ware long baker or "gratin" Difficult to read "Prizer-Ware" on the bottom, impossible to photo.  14" long x 5" wide at the widest point.  There is one tiny "chip" on one upper edge.  

Andie:

Sorry, but can you please clarify?  Did you have (or have you seen) American ECI from the 1920s?  The reason I ask is DRU and Le Creuset seem to have started making ECI in the 1930s, which would be after they were first made here.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, chefmd said:

I’m not that far away....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, andiesenji said:

This is the Prizer-ware

PrizerPainter I believe turned into the company that makes Blue Star stoves. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, boilsover said:

Andie:

Sorry, but can you please clarify?  Did you have (or have you seen) American ECI from the 1920s?  The reason I ask is DRU and Le Creuset seem to have started making ECI in the 1930s, which would be after they were first made here.

Thanks!

The Griswold ECI I had were made in the 1920s.  They had been making nickel-plated skillets, griddles and some other pieces from the mid teens and discontinued those and found that the enamel was more resistant to scrubbing because the nickel plating could be worn off.  I sold a couple of those a couple of years ago and those were inherited from my grandmother, as were the enameled pieces.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, andiesenji said:

The Griswold ECI I had were made in the 1920s.  They had been making nickel-plated skillets, griddles and some other pieces from the mid teens and discontinued those and found that the enamel was more resistant to scrubbing because the nickel plating could be worn off.  I sold a couple of those a couple of years ago and those were inherited from my grandmother, as were the enameled pieces.  

Thanks, Andie!  So were any European makers doing ECI before the Americans? And did the finish of the Griswolds you had hold up?

On 1/26/2019 at 10:24 PM, rotuts said:

@Wolf

and honest person , or beast

please post more if you can

w pics 

if you can

from your region 

thanks

Rotuts, sorry for the delay, but here's one of those... Store nearby had 20% off on enamelled cookware (and as luck would have it, today was my payday), so I couldn't help myself but to snatch a 9½" one... :$

Eterna1.jpg

Eterna2.jpg

Eterna3.jpg

• Like 4

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde