• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Tere

14 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Thanks, @andiesenji I did not know about the glass top. Mine doesn't have it, but I now think maybe it's missing from mine because the tray has no markings. It's exactly like the tray in your photo.  (and still worth the $4 I paid!) Even without markings, I recognized it when I saw it because I have been collecting the Sunbeam vacuum pot and related accessories (plump shape) for years. I've got a bunch of the sugars and creamers, I should sell some. I have wanted to get the beautiful deco set in your picture but have never seen it in person. (trying to find it out in the wild rather than pay a marked up price from a dealer)

I found a photo of the tray with the glass inserts.  Not all of the trays were marked.  This model toaster with the World's Fair logo was introduced in 1939 production stopped in 1942 and was brought out again after the war and was sold until 1949.

Sunbeam tray with toaster and glass inserts..png

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

Please tell more about the little "stoves", @andiesenji. Did they run on Sterno? Were the intended simply to keep the coffee warm after brewing?

No, they were electric hot plates and just large enough to fit the vessels. Those had a type of percolator stem and basket which were not very efficient and did not hold up well, they rusted.  I discarded them decades ago and used these as servers, brewing the coffee and tea in other brewers.  The cords for the stoves are behind the tray in this photo.   This is a photo of the bottom of the stove.  It, like many of the hot plates made in the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s, had a rheostat to control the electrical output - and the heat level - so that if the plate was not hot enough, the bottom could be removed, the rheostat "advanced" and the hot plate would put out more heat. These had limits so they wouldn't get beyond a certain point, but these were made to last a long time, not be discarded after a few years.

SB 8 copy.jpg

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

27 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

Thanks, @andiesenji I will keep an eye out for the glass insert. I should say that the plump shaped vacuum coffee pot I have is supposedly very good at making coffee, some experts rate it very highly. Unfortunately, I don't like coffee.

From about 1990 to 2012 I had ever model of the CoffeeMaster that had been produced by Sunbeam fully complete with the correct "innards" which ranged from a screw-in to the bottom of the pot a filter assembly on the earlier ones that had smaller (and in my opinion better) seal collars which made it easier to take them apart. The later ones had larger collars that often stuck and after a number of years, if they were not properly cared for, they were impossible to pull apart - the reason a lot of those went to the dump.

I had the seals replaced on five of mine so they worked as they should.  

In 2013 I began to sell one at a time and now I am down to one complete one and one that requires a new seal - which I got in a trade along with a supply of filters for some I was selling.

Vacuum-brewed coffee is, in my opinion, superior to any percolator-brewed coffee or French press coffee and all of the ready-made pod coffees.  

Some people have learned that, which is why I have been able to sell my 21 CoffeeMasters with little difficulty.  (Sunbeam produced 10 models but there were variations in some models - some were offered in either 8 cup or 10 cup.  And some had a filter assembly for cloth or paper filters and some had "permanent" filters.)

I still have several of the glass Silex vacuum brewers and from time to time I bring out my now 81-year-old Silex 10-cup Lido brewer that also has its own little "stove" though fancier than most. 

I had to laugh at one of the local news people who goes out to see what is going on "around town" and she was fascinated by a coffee shop that brews "personal" coffee choice at the table.  They claim it is a "new" brew system from Japan.

When she was giving her presentation, one of the anchors said, "I hate to bust your bubble, but my grandma had a coffee maker just like that when I was a kid.  I used to sit at the table and watch the magic happen as the water went up the tube, grandma stirred the grounds and took it off the stove and after a while the bottom part was filled with coffee."   

She laughed and said maybe the people in the shop didn't have a grandma like his.

• Like 4

Today @Kerry BealAnd I were at a thrift store and became mutual enablers. She spotted this gorgeous square dish which she said had my name on it and I spotted the lovely beakers which had her name on them.  I got one beaker and she got two.

(That is some leftover label glue on the edge of the plate not a chip!)

1221F122-B3F6-45D1-B05F-8C0218FBD1CB.thumb.jpeg.19b92a09dc2cd142c188bba730bfc58c.jpeg

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I spent $17 and got: a small steel drum (not a toy, a beginner's model that retails new at $99), a Micheal Graves clock, a black marble figurine, a Mickey Mouse glass, a handblown red glass pitcher, and an older Glasbake dish missing its lid.

GB.thumb.jpg.5ac91d0e8e82b357523f07123787fee5.jpg

• Like 6

I need a "pea-green with envy" emoji. 

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Here’s my part of the haul.

EAAB934C-B823-4AE0-9EAE-C1F06A8F65C4.thumb.jpeg.0ded5409ce22c04b4c0f6d3b34057e33.jpeg

I love what appears to be a graduate. I never see anything like this in Southern California. Good Haul, Kerry.

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 weeks later...

Griswald (very) rusty 8 inch skillet for 15 dollars.  Steel wool scrub and a quick (lazy) stove top heating with small amount of bacon fat.  Depending on how it cooks, I may do a real scrubbing/seasoning later.

AE0D4AE3-6956-4373-B897-3C8B8392EF8F.thumb.jpeg.fbd0888c6a55c0051838143cc3792386.jpegd

8705F62E-EF81-4417-A5EE-E7878411A51E.thumb.jpeg.a946cc6803a366ef38934e790c4de5d4.jpeg

78239D11-E293-4693-8E6F-ECEAEF835C4F.thumb.jpeg.543ecd1aef39e0d4110ea2e360c66fa0.jpeg

• Like 21

A few more 50 cent cocktail glasses for my collection.  I purchased 2 each of three glasses - a big $3 investment for 6 glasses.

These tulip-shaped glasses have an etched leaf and dot pattern that matches the smaller glasses that I purchased a while back.  I suppose they are sherry glasses or something like that.  I see the pattern on eBay and Etsy but haven't seen it identified.

The larger ones will hold a 3.5 - 4 oz drink and the small ones accommodate a 2 oz drink.  I tried but couldn't get a good photo of the pattern. 

fullsizeoutput_38ec.thumb.jpeg.cd202139a19c464c68a8e579462d7d6d.jpeg

The shop had 8 of those glasses but they weren't packaged together so I felt OK taking 2. 

I like the pretty shape and small size of these.  The stem is not frosted glass, just frosty from the freezer!

fullsizeoutput_38c4.thumb.jpeg.b93b665a87125265150f8eec63efde72.jpeg

I thought these little coupes were a coup for 50 cents:

fullsizeoutput_38da.thumb.jpeg.a79c99570ee5264282020d5aaa6101f0.jpeg

• Like 15

The glasses look like Fostoria.  Possibly Heisey.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A few more 50 cent glasses for my cocktail collection

fullsizeoutput_3964.thumb.jpeg.05543ca79d80087c84a8d8444b2e73b1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3963.thumb.jpeg.628cd5a0a8487b0d634b4ab8c9e4101a.jpeg

The pattern of the glass on the left is Twist Clear by Imperial Glass in Ohio and was made from 1943 - 1967.  Interesting contrast between the thick, twisted stem and the thin, blown body of the glass. They look hazy from the window glare but they are nice and clear.  I got 3 of them.

The middle glass is  April by Tiffin-Franciscan, made from 1951-1966. It has a pretty cut glass pattern of flowers and leaves and a faceted stem.  There was only 1 of these.  I'll keep my eye out for another one!

I don't know what the last one is, I'm sure it's not anything fine but it has a dainty etched pattern and straight stem.  Just one of these, too. 

• Like 11

Nice Dansk baking dish from my local St. Vincent de Paul. $14. It baffled me because it's in mint condition, made in Indonesia and is not the more common Kobenstyle. But a little digging online suggests it may have been made in the 1970's when Dansk started producing in weird places.

IMG_4565.JPG

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Nyleve Baar said:

Nice Dansk baking dish from my local St. Vincent de Paul. $14.

I am insanely jealous even though I no longer have a use for such a dish!  Love Dansk. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am insanely jealous even though I no longer have a use for such a dish!  Love Dansk. 

I may not have any use for it either. Well I do, but I have SO MANY dishes that I don't really need it. Might gift it to one of my sons. Whatever. I love finding these treasures.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, chefmd said:

Four cute little cups made in German Democratic Republic.  In pristine condition.  25 cents a piece

3FFEF49C-27E8-4D70-B15C-2F136C51B652.thumb.jpeg.bf9f3ebe00be7830c300c2f4534437e9.jpeg

The East Germans did some things very well.  The Zeiss Jena optics being one example.  The Stasi being another, but hey...

• Like 2

I found this large-logo Griswold #7 for $5.00.  The seasoning is in great shape.  I'll need to find a home for it.  I need another CI pan like I need another knife.

Griswold_7.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;