• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Tere

Nothing terribly exciting, just a few small items from Goodwill to entertain me.

IMG_8332.thumb.jpg.5b08d0c8a0e4bcd54b1c04622d59d93b.jpg

Google tells me the oblong, navy plate in the back is from Frankoma Pottery in Oklahoma and is the tray portion of a soup & sandwich set.   I returned to the store to see if the soup mugs happened to be displayed with the coffee mugs, in which case, I might have picked up more of the plates as well.  Alas, they were not but I'm happy to use the plates as is. 

A dollar for each of the plates and 69 cents for the glasses. 

IMG_8333.thumb.jpg.35568de859781d54f449bb04f9322946.jpg

• Like 9

@blue_dolphin

very nice

on those glasses :

look just right for a Nagroni Sampler

Unknown-1.jpeg.4a2a3e71c0a1cd239adab249fec0fda0.jpeg

do they ' sing ' when you move your finger around the rim ?

I have not done this for a time

so Ive forgotten the particulars :  dry finger or Slightly moist ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin

very nice

on those glasses :

look just right for a Nagroni Sampler

Unknown-1.jpeg.4a2a3e71c0a1cd239adab249fec0fda0.jpeg

do they ' sing ' when you move your finger around the rim ?

I have not done this for a time

so Ive forgotten the particulars :  dry finger or Slightly moist ?

Ah, Franklin's armonica, hydrodaktulopsychicharmonica if you will.  From wikipedia:  "Franklin also advocated the use of a small amount of powdered chalk on the fingers, which under some acidic water conditions helped produce a clear tone."

Not sure powdered chalk helps with Campari.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Unearthed this CutCo set while cleaning out my mom's apartment:

DSCN8438.JPG.32dc7c5683e3f82772035f2b6f745d24.JPG

Since most of her stuff is non-stick, they probably haven't been used in years.  I remember them from childhood - being reminded to never put them in the dishwasher.  The handles were a little dull, but I gave them a mineral oil rub and they look gorgeous.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Since most of her stuff is non-stick, they probably haven't been used in years.  I remember them from childhood - being reminded to never put them in the dishwasher.  The handles were a little dull, but I gave them a mineral oil rub and they look gorgeous.

Very cool! I wasn't aware they had non-knife utensils available, as well. My mom had the CutCo kinfe set so the handles look very familiar to me. 

Are you aware if there were any more utensils offered by CutCo?? 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Very cool! I wasn't aware they had non-knife utensils available, as well. My mom had the CutCo kinfe set so the handles look very familiar to me. 

Are you aware if there were any more utensils offered by CutCo?? 

They do.  But as far as I can see, they no longer sell the sets like I have and no longer offer the wooden handles.  There are plenty of them on ebay, though.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 4:02 PM, Kim Shook said:

Wow.  Real wood makes such a better appearance than that ugly, slippery plastic.  I'm not a huge Cutco fan, but I'd like to find a set like this.

What other treasures lurk in mom's kitchen? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boilsover said:

Wow.  Real wood makes such a better appearance than that ugly, slippery plastic.  I'm not a huge Cutco fan, but I'd like to find a set like this.

What other treasures lurk in mom's kitchen? 

Two smallish iron skillets, a nice-sized gravy boat with plate and ladle, a pretty green casserole with high sides (perfect for lasagna - I hate being limited to the height of a Pyrex dish when I make lasagna), a lovely small Royal Worcestershire covered dish like this, my grandmother's silverplate -  1847 Rogers and, of course nearly-vintage spice tins still full of odorless, tasteless powder!  LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Two smallish iron skillets, a nice-sized gravy boat with plate and ladle, a pretty green casserole with high sides (perfect for lasagna - I hate being limited to the height of a Pyrex dish when I make lasagna), a lovely small Royal Worcestershire covered dish like this, my grandmother's silverplate -  1847 Rogers and, of course nearly-vintage spice tins still full of odorless, tasteless powder!  LOL

My daughter just moved to a new apartment (the result of a "reno-viction" by her old landlord, but her old place was so vile we welcomed it) and finally had a space to hang her great-grandmother's spice cabinet. The contents of the jars? Well, my grandmother passed away 10 years ago and had stopped cooking some time before that. When I go back there in a couple of weeks, we'll go to Bulk Barn and pick up some fresh stuff to re-fill them with.

My grandmother was born in the portentous month of August 1914, and was 93 when she passed away. Her older sister outlived her by 8 months. On my father's side, several of my great-aunts and great-uncles lived into their 90s as well. Both sets of my wife's grandparents were nonegenarians (the last one passed away just a few months ago), so my kids have some pretty robust genes in the pool.

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This hardly compares to some of the great deals I've seen posted, but I found a plastic beaker for 75¢ at a local thrift store. When I moved recently, one of the things that broke was my immersion blender cup. The Braun replacement parts website was asking something like $15 with s/h for a new cup. Finding this one means that I can make mayo again. The sides flare out, so it holds quite a bit more volume than the old one, but because the base has the same diameter it still works for the Serious Eats 2-minute mayo recipe.

IMG_5161.jpg

Edited by chord (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, chord said:

This hardly compares to some of the great deals I've seen posted, but I found a plastic beaker for 75¢ at a local thrift store. When I moved recently, one of the things that broke was my immersion blender cup. The Braun replacement parts website was asking something like $15 with s/h for a new cup. Finding this one means that I can make mayo again. The sides flare out, so it holds quite a bit more volume than the old one, but because the base has the same diameter it still works for the Serious Eats 2-minute mayo recipe.

IMG_5161.jpg

Nice find! I would have snatched that up in a heartbeat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chord said:

IMG_5161.jpg

Look for milkshake machine cups, the steel ones. (Restaurant Depot has them for less than $4, new.) They work great and are almost indestructible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

Look for milkshake machine cups, the steel ones. (Restaurant Depot has them for less than $4, new.) They work great and are almost indestructible.

Never thought of that.  Great tip!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lisa Shock said:

Those I use to hold piping bags - I like to be able to see the progress of the stuff I'm immersion blending. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Shelby said:

Ya'll are fancy.  I just use a pint mason jar :laugh:

After my immersion blender scratched a wandering mark on the bottom of an expensive pan I stopped using it in anything glass. (and pans)

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)

20 hours ago, chord said:

IMG_5161.jpg

I had a cup like that with an Oster immersion blender from more than a decade ago. The only one I ever had with the flared foot and larger size with the measurements on the sides.

I broke the blender and the cup when I left them standing on the counter with the cord hanging, managed to catch the cord, yank them off the counter.

I really liked that blender. It had a longer, all metal shaft and was reasonably priced.  When I looked for a replacement, it was no longer available.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

10 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

After my immersion blender scratched a wandering mark on the bottom of an expensive pan I stopped using it in anything glass. (and pans)

I have swirl-like scratches on the bottom of my 4-qt. AC saucepan that were made by my immersion blender.

• Sad 1

Today I picked up these three books for the sum total of $6.90. The Baking one on the right is a William's-Sonomo book.  The Whole Grain Bread is interesting in that each recipe is for three sizes of bread - a sampler loaf, a regular loaf and a large loaf.  Each recipe  has instructions for making it by hand, a heavy-duty mixer, food processor or bread machine. The third book, Bread Making Machine, gives instructions for each recipe for the 12 most common bread machines.  That book has 75 recipes in it.  I haven't had time to give them a good look but in the case of the last book, I will likely just photocopy the recipes I want and give it back to the thrift store for recycling.  There is, for me, a lot of dead space in that one.

20180907_163952.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)
  • Like 5