• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Tere

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

I was so intrigued by this title I just bought a used copy on ebay using some gift money.   Not being fat-phobic about your food intake is one of the cornerstones of the South Beach Diet. I look forward to reading this.

It's a great read. I've been meaning to pick up her other books, but haven't yet. I've recently cleaned about 200lbs of cookbooks I'll never open again from my shelves, so this might be a good time. :)

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 11/18/2017 at 7:15 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

My mom bought a book at a thrift store.

When she got home she found $200 in it!!! shock2.gif

Funny thing is, she bought the book on nothing but a whim.

It's a cookbook by Joanne Weir—which happens to be my aunt's married name.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Haha 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, CentralMA said:

I was at one of our local thrift stores that shelves their books as a bookstore would. Found this. Try as I could I wasn't able to find a recipe anywhere between the covers.

pi.jpg

Which one?  

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

11 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

Which one?  

The Life of Pi, for one. I don't know whether there are more, but this made me laugh when I spotted it. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Which one?  

Yeah, Life of Pi.

And now that I've thought longer on this I guess there was some dining that may have gone on while the boat was adrift. Maybe it was shelved correctly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, CentralMA said:

Yeah, Life of Pi.

And now that I've thought longer on this I guess there was some dining that may have gone on while the boat was adrift. Maybe it was shelved correctly.

You're talking in circles! xD

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Found this in a box with some Catamount glassware I bought at a local swap meet years ago, when the fairgrounds was only a couple of blocks from my home.

I've never used it and don't intend to use it but I think it is rather cute and a clever idea.  The grater is VERY sharp.

It's date 1992 AMCO CORPORATION.  Made in Taiwan.

HPIM1480.thumb.jpg.70f391adcf4d03394c579eacb2766393.jpg

HPIM1479.thumb.jpg.07fba57e7e85423f1284b45ebfb74fb1.jpg

HPIM1481.thumb.jpg.872d3bb6a5308de111610e3c4aa78f48.jpg

HPIM1482.thumb.jpg.a82a6b843c2a992088317ad41754f6fe.jpg

HPIM1484.thumb.jpg.2bafb80a89e5d15d5f15ea1c7f7d451c.jpg

HPIM1483.thumb.jpg.81fd52a2f48954c1053949825dcc6ae1.jpg

• Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

Just got these today at Savers. They were 30% off the regular price, so, I paid $3.49 for the pair. The basket is Longaberger, from 2002, and marks my first success in finding a genuine one in a thrift store on the regular shelf, not in the 'special' case. That said, I see one on eBay right now for $16, so, not worth a fortune, but definitely will be profitable if I sell it, or make a nice gift.

The book is from 1971. It has a lot of stories in it. I like goofy old cookbooks with lots of 'atmosphere'. I'll read it then decide if it's a keeper or not. If I cook for a royal wedding party, I'll have some good material to draw from! (ok, ok, I know that really, most of these recipes are just derivatives of Escoffier or Ranhofer. I just like to imagine that it's the year of publication and I just got the book, and never went to culinary school. I like figuring out menu plans for imaginary family dinners for days of yore.)

RoyalCookBook.jpg

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)
  • Like 5

On 5/3/2018 at 1:29 AM, Cronker said:

The Lonaberger is worth about $10 on its own, but only to someone who actually knows what it is.  Right person, right day...

I have a booth at  local antique mall. I can wait until the right person strolls by. Since I only paid $1.75 for it, I can offer it for sale at a 'discount' price of $7 and still make a tidy profit.

• 2 weeks later...

Expanding my selection of cocktail glasses, I bought 2 each of these three glasses at the local Goodwill. 75 cents each.

IMG_7848.thumb.jpg.a85a63e83f6f1b85a7f5068c4625c22b.jpg

Years ago when I was in my first apartment, I had a bunch of mismatched plates and glassware from thrifts, garage sales and hand-me-downs.  I wished for matched sets and eventually I got them.  Now,  I'm happy to pick up mismatched stuff so I can choose something different for each meal!

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Years ago when I was in my first apartment, I had a bunch of mismatched plates and glassware from thrifts, garage sales and hand-me-downs.  I wished for matched sets and eventually I got them.  Now,  I'm happy to pick up mismatched stuff so I can choose something different for each meal!

I knew damn well we were separated at birth.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

$8 worth of finds. 

69378E50-FB29-4572-AA8B-003B55E106F0.thumb.jpeg.339e06eaad0b90850fe357f509af4eb6.jpeg

Small tray, blue glass plate and an enamelled cast iron bacon/panini press. 

@Kerry Beal found the panini press and had it priced since it was missing a sticker. It has obviously never been used and they put a price on it of $3.99.  I just couldn’t resist.  

EBCD056A-3557-4381-99AD-F0BC81C3C3E4.thumb.jpeg.9b5c9167684258763db1a945136312c8.jpeg

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

Estate sale not far from my home, started at 8:00AM, I didn't get there until 11:00AM. Was unaware it was going to happen.

Found these though, total of $4.50. The knives are Henckles, older handle style. 5.5" boning, appears to have never been used, and a 160mm (6") chefs utility, needs some work. 

The julep spoon is nothing special, stainless, but I don't have one in my bar arsenal. And the bottle opener is stainless with embossing and a sleek teak backside. Imprinted "PLAYBOY" on the head. I couldn't resist.

Thinking of visiting the knife lady in the Boston area next week to get it back in shape, and to see if my retirement has a knife sharpening business in it's future. Should be $10 well spent, and I've got a couple of 50 year old Sabatier carbon steel knives that need severe attention that I can bring along also.

http://www.ontheedgeknifesharpening.com

claridgedrive.jpg

Edited by CentralMA (log)
  • Like 11

A few months ago i picked up a Dexter-Russel 6" utility knife for probably a buck. I finally had the time this week to put a new edge on it. I won't say it was very worn, but I had to go down to the EdgePro 120 grit stone to remove enough metal to eliminate the nicks and get it to the angle I prefer (18/18). Now I have another useful knife for my ren faire arsenal.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 7

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago we began cooking with Le Creuset cast iron pots.  They were expensive and generally beyond our budget but gradually we accumulated a reasonable collection.  We didn’t get as far as the saucepans that were generally sold as a set of five before the company stopped making them.

Over the years I’ve kept an eye out for a second hand set but those that did appear on eBay or similar were generally not in a condition that I would want to use.  We were in France a few weeks ago and there was a village sale very close to where we were staying.  We hadn’t planned to visit having reached a stage in life where we are trying to reduce the amount of things we own rather than add more but it was a beautiful afternoon and we were persuaded to wander around just as the event was coming to an end.  Often these events are populated by regular sellers with vast amounts of glassware and household stuff that they box up and drag from one village to another during the ‘vide grenier’ season.  Sometimes there are individuals selling their own stuff, I did exactly that when moving back to England a decade ago.  That was a long day and by the end I was happy to give away anything left on my stall.  

While wandering alone I came across a chap who was selling his own family stuff because, he told me, his wife had insisted that they have a clear out.  Amongst the items left was a complete set of five Le Creuset saucepans with their lids; exactly the set we had wanted for many years and given up hope of finding.  The pans were in almost new condition, the wooden handles on a couple had suffered from going through a dishwasher but the interiors were clean.  I was advised that the set had been a wedding present 25 years earlier but hardly used.  By now we already had good pans and I didn’t need the full collection.  He wanted 20€ for the lot, I offered 10 just for the smallest of the pans to replace our coming to the end of its life Le Creuset milk pan.  Clearly wanting to be rid of as much stuff as possible and ready to go home the guy accepted my offer but only on condition that I took all five pans.  I couldn’t refuse.  I staggered back towards our accommodation with the set in an inadequate bag.  Thankfully our car was parked only a few hundred metres from the sale so I dumped the lot in the boot and reflected on how I might announce the acquisition to my husband.

A drink or two later I disclosed my purchase.  My husband and my very good friend who was providing us with our holiday accommodation came with me to our car where the pans were sittting in their collapsed plastic bag.  Both were amazed at the condition of the pans, save for the handles they looked almost new at first glance.  

At home the handles were restored to their former glory with the assistance of Ikea wooden worktop oil and they now look perfect.  The paint on some of the lids is a little dull, I guess more damage from dishwasher use.  Not a problem!  We finally have our complete Le Creuset collection.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

@DianaB

very very nice

I do like this :

""  having reached a stage in life where we are trying to reduce the amount of things we own rather than add more ""

Would it be possible to post a .jpg or two ?

way back when

on the budget I had

I purchased two blue LC's  sauce pans w lids 

one at a time.

I sued them Foreever 

1371232049_LCSauce.thumb.jpg.c176edf4eac5b48166a84dc9a35dfb88.jpg

from Crate and Barrel when they were quote new

and posted on a blackboard which ships were due from where 

and what the cargo was.

until I wast fortunate to be in France in mid 80's when the FF

was more or less ' cheap '

I came home w some very fine heavy copper pots

and these were saved , but retired.

Ive brought them out

will do something w the handles vis IKEA

so

you did the right thing

pics are always nice

cheers on your find.

• Like 6

Many thanks @rotuts and @kayb for your kind messages.  Your blue pans certainly seem to have come from the same place of origin as our ‘new’ collection.  Taking artistic photos is not amongst my skills but below are a couple of the new editions.  We are sadly lacking in storage space so the whole set is waiting for us to get around to fixing more hooks so that they can join the existing kit hanging from the beams in the kitchen...

47922293-BC8A-457D-8B57-D3195FB1EB9E.thumb.jpeg.1dd3297657723bed00570c8374cbd00f.jpeg

If there’s an award for the least well taken photo this must be nominated.  I know there is a lot of helpful advice elsewhere on eGullet and one day I shall set aside time to improve my food related photography.

• Like 11

So, I found this item for $.99 at a local Goodwill. I am wondering if anyone here who reads Chinese (I think it's Chinese, I could be wrong!) can give me any sort of clue about its function. ( @liuzhou ) It appears to be a vase. It has a lot of writing on the side along with images of people listening to a speaker, maybe making a bed and some other tasks. There is just one mark on the bottom, and it is almost unreadable because the glaze apparently flowed too much. I have a feeling that the item has some age to it, as the glaze has crazing. Any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

greenvaseA.jpg

greenvaseB.jpg

greenvaseC.jpg

greenvaseD.jpg

greenvaseE.jpg

• Like 1

@Lisa Shock I  can confirm it is Chinese. The larger script is an old, now obsolete Chinese script, most of which I can't read. (This is no guarantee of age, though.) The smaller writing is more modern Chinese, but not very clear. The only bit I can make out is 竹林七贤 in the second picture. This refers to The Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove (240--249AD ), as does the image. I'm guessing the old writing is part of one of their poems.

I would agree it is probably some sort of vase or perhaps a calligraphy brush holder.

I will ask friends who know more about these things (and have better eyesight than me) and let you know if they come up with anything.

Can you give me its dimensions, please?

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto