• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Tere

Is anyone knowledgeable about vintage beer steins? There's a lengthy back-story, but my daughter and her hubby were gifted one, and they'd like to convert it to cash and turn that back to the previous owner (who's about to be homeless, which is why he's giving his stuff away to the handful of people who have shown him some kindness recently). ETA: They're looking for some kind of guidance on value, and how to go about selling it. 

Pictures will be available shortly. 

Edited by chromedome (log)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 2/14/2018 at 9:59 AM, Porthos said:

Major score. Hobart KitchenAid 4 1/2 qt with the paddle, whisk and dough hook. Working condition. $21.25. After I clean it up it is going to a friend who bakes.

Hobart KitchenAid.jpg

Wow is right.  Great find--it looks brand new!

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

Is anyone knowledgeable about vintage beer steins? There's a lengthy back-story, but my daughter and her hubby were gifted one, and they'd like to convert it to cash and turn that back to the previous owner (who's about to be homeless, which is why he's giving his stuff away to the handful of people who have shown him some kindness recently). ETA: They're looking for some kind of guidance on value, and how to go about selling it. 

Pictures will be available shortly. 

In the end we were able to track it down ourselves. It was an unexceptional Reinhold Merkelbach of no particularly great value. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Apparently they're aquarium tweezers. I didn't know that was a thing. I suppose I overpaid.. Oh well. Giant tweezers...

Also handy for retrieving things in inaccessible cracks in your car.

• Haha 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have two giant forceps. Endlessly useful for flipping stuff in a sauté pan,  fishing out a bit of detritus from rice etc etc. 

But my big question is how @Porthos finds all this good stuff at resale places. All I see are George Foreman grills and Ecko knives.  

• Like 3

I use my "normal" large forceps all the time -- for flipping bacon, manipulating items on my grill, fishing things out of weird places... 

These forceps are 20" long though... they're as long as my arm, basically. Way overkill for car-crack-fishing or for use with a saute pan. If you could use them successfully to get crap out of rice (or whatever) then your tweezer-fu is stronger than mine. I'm thinking that they might see some use for manipulating hot charcoal (so I can spare my tongs). I'm sure I'll find uses for them.

When all you have is a pair of giant tweezers, every problem looks like... a giant unibrow. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

But my big question is how @Porthos finds all this good stuff at resale places. All I see are George Foreman grills and Ecko knives.  

I do heavy-duty thrift shopping once a week, normally on Tuesdays. Retirement allows for that. I will typically shop anywhere from 8-12 stores, sometimes more. Because I have a very specific focus I am normally in and out of any given thrift store in less than 10 minutes unless I have found something. The KitchenAid was basically dumb luck, right time - right place. It had just been rolled out on a cart of merchandise to put on the shelves.

Why do I like to shop on Tuesdays? Senior citizen discounts.

The knives I find mostly come from 2 stores, one of which I shop weekly, the other I only get to every couple of months because it is out of my normal driving paths and I don't find enough there to justify the gasoline on a regular basis.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

In many respects, you are at the mercy of the shop staff and the various store policies.

As an example, I found a brand new Breville coffee tap out bin that had been thrown away by one of my staff simply because she didn’t know what it was. I work for a charity store that is connected to a religious organisation, so we are not allowed to sell Buddha ornaments.  Harry Potter and Twilight items are likewise outlawed (supernatural themes) but in most cases, if you get to know the people in your local store and let them know what interests you, they will keep you in mind when a good piece comes in.

It’s a bit of a misconception that all the good stuff gets snapped up by staff and volunteers-sure, it does happen, but it’s exactly the same as if you work in any retail store - you are there all day and therefore get to see all the products as they arrive.  Policy generally dictates that every item must be priced and placed on the shelves before any staff or volunteers can “snap it up”.

Never had a KitchenAid donated (!) and my personal focus is kitchenalia, but I’ve had numerous brand new items like slow cookers, portable induction hotplates, Bodums, high-end dinner sets and deep fryers come through.

The latest hot item that seems to be highly donatable is multi-chopper vegetable thingos - (Zyliss et al).

We get about five a week.

And cut glass - anything, platters, trinket bowls, punch bowls.  Please make it stop.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cronker said:

I work for a charity store that is connected to a religious organisation, so we are not allowed to sell Buddha ornaments.  Harry Potter and Twilight items are likewise outlawed (supernatural themes)

Wait, your religious affiliate doesn't have its own supernatural theme(s)?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Before lunch today @Kerry Beal and I   shopped for groceries at  Marilu’s  and then wandered through the thrift shop  nearby. 

Over here  I had spent a fair amount of time whining about the state of my spices. When I spotted this compact spice holder and one dozen brand new glass spice jars I jumped on them.  You will have to head over to the topic I have linked to if you are interested in my logic which is already a little shaky.  I will be posting there a little later. 

ED371C1F-97BB-4D27-BB7E-A43CFAFBBD04.thumb.jpeg.8497845141d8bcaf3cdbd3c17cb09363.jpegEEA766C1-E780-4723-A55E-F52445AE81F5.thumb.jpeg.aa5499cac43b71725a126e9827371ad9.jpeg 

The hold it was $3.95 and the additional jars $2.95  so even my shaky logic will not cost me very much at all and my keep me out of the pool halls anyway. 

F08C2EE6-87F1-44A6-B97A-D5C5F5A0B6FE.thumb.jpeg.446fdf955081f1ba2ebaa6f6ad5dd166.jpeg

I also grabbed this small loaf pan and this induction-ready pan which is non-stick but I think I can live with it.  It is never my first choice but I love the shape and size of this.

CBB74A37-E6BB-4BA1-AFAE-5D3990DE09CD.thumb.jpeg.69720d81413678e939e182153ca8cf82.jpeg

Kerry spotted both the bread pan and the book. I can read Jennifer McLagan the way other people read Jeffrey Archer —cover to cover. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow

white a haul

@Anna N

I very much appreciate the ref to J.Mc

Ive missed that, and Im sure so many other books , of all kinds

i have 4 of the J.Mc books coming my way soon from my lib ray system

so thanks again !

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N  Nice Score!  About the spice rack - you are putting it where?:ph34r:

Ah! Therein lies the rub. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Rubs involve spices. Isn't that why you're getting a spice rack,

Yes it was quite a deliberate pun. 

My 2004 eG Blog

20 hours ago, Anna N said:

CBB74A37-E6BB-4BA1-AFAE-5D3990DE09CD.thumb.jpeg.69720d81413678e939e182153ca8cf82.jpeg

I was so intrigued by this title I just bought a used copy on ebay using some gift money.   Not being fat-phobic about your food intake is one of the cornerstones of the South Beach Diet. I look forward to reading this.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Congratulations !

Its the Best Book Ever.  

N.B. :  it looks almost brand new , hardly ever used.

ideas and Techniques well ahead of their time !

another Congratulations your way !

• Like 2

Just now, rotuts said:

Congratulations !

Its the Best Book Ever.  

N.B. :  it looks almost brand new , hardly ever used.

ideas and Techniques well ahead of their time !

another Congratulations your way !

You are right - doesn't look like it's ever been cracked open.