• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Tere

9 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I have several of the cookie press with cake decorating tips sets that I have picked up over the years, many were never used. I think they were bought on a whim at a dime store and then the instructions were just too much to absorb so they were put aside and forgotten. 

Ha Ha! I dug mine out of a drawer with the tips and "instructions" stored inside the barrel. The box long ago deteriorated into uselessness, and is long gone. My instructions make references to flower and leaf tips, but never explained what they are. It also helpfully advises that novices may need to practice to get the decorations right. Ya think?

I have only used the thing once or twice to decorate Christmas cookies. The instructions were not too much to absorb for me, but rather beyond vague and very useless to a young cook. I mean sheesh! You're telling me to use the flower tip for flowers and the leaf tip for leaves without telling me which is which? :wacko:

They do provide several recipes for icing, which I never used. I figured if the writers couldn't do any better with the instructions than they did, I'm not willing to trust a recipe from them. There is no manufacturer stamped anywhere on the hardware of the set or printed on the sad instructions. I'm still glad I bought it though no thanks to the included "instructions". :) Those Christmas cookies were beautiful, and I used them as ornaments on my tree for a couple of years.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Picked a pristine, like new, copy of Charlie Trotter's 'Seafood' complete with a very mint dust cover for $1.50. I will probably read it and pass it along to a friend. I also got a heavy crystal vase made in Finland which looks like a large, thick walled beaker. (useful for Halloween!)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Bought this today for $1.99.  It looks brand new.

20170914_113911.jpg

One of my favorites for many years.  

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...

Today’s haul. 

7832595E-AE70-4509-936D-197C98833835.thumb.jpeg.52bce73d94484790394ed72042af766a.jpeg09561A2C-841A-4B52-90CF-52E896318044.thumb.jpeg.c5f657420ba545bf1f825f64323bc296.jpeg

kitchenAid enameled cast-iron cocotte. (OK it’s a kitchen thing but if you have small animals and use this as a water/food dish they cannot knock it over.)xD

1E84F684-AEBF-4C1C-A669-7BC7BC2C61BD.thumb.jpeg.e2e10e521ba5964e45861c5017e09d49.jpeg

I saw the spine of this book as Kerry and I were perusing the bookshelves.  I leapt to the conclusion that it was designed for those taking English as a second language (ESL) and would be of little interest to me.   As we wandered further afield from the bookshelves I began thinking that I would like to see what such a book would actually look like. Why not teach people English through cooking, I thought. Duh.  It’s not as if I don’t know Todd English is a chef.:$ 

5A11F5BF-8CD7-40E5-8CD1-98164901C756.thumb.jpeg.927c8399d57d1655190bcb65b3a5e33b.jpeg

Kerry handed this book to me and I was about to dismiss it but as I did a quick flip through I decided it was a fun book to read even if I was not going to actually make anything from it.

55B53DF5-EDA0-441C-9160-0C931A9F2E7A.thumb.jpeg.11c4ff265712950c24924d81fc5b615f.jpeg

With the imminent  release of Modernist Bread why would anybody need another book on bread?   Again I flipped through this and knew that I would enjoy reading it.

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 10/3/2017 at 12:35 PM, Anna N said:

Today’s haul. 

7832595E-AE70-4509-936D-197C98833835.thumb.jpeg.52bce73d94484790394ed72042af766a.jpeg09561A2C-841A-4B52-90CF-52E896318044.thumb.jpeg.c5f657420ba545bf1f825f64323bc296.jpeg

kitchenAid enameled cast-iron cocotte. (OK it’s a kitchen thing but if you have small animals and use this as a water/food dish they cannot knock it over.)xD

1E84F684-AEBF-4C1C-A669-7BC7BC2C61BD.thumb.jpeg.e2e10e521ba5964e45861c5017e09d49.jpeg

I saw the spine of this book as Kerry and I were perusing the bookshelves.  I leapt to the conclusion that it was designed for those taking English as a second language (ESL) and would be of little interest to me.   As we wandered further afield from the bookshelves I began thinking that I would like to see what such a book would actually look like. Why not teach people English through cooking, I thought. Duh.  It’s not as if I don’t know Todd English is a chef.:$ 

5A11F5BF-8CD7-40E5-8CD1-98164901C756.thumb.jpeg.927c8399d57d1655190bcb65b3a5e33b.jpeg

Kerry handed this book to me and I was about to dismiss it but as I did a quick flip through I decided it was a fun book to read even if I was not going to actually make anything from it.

55B53DF5-EDA0-441C-9160-0C931A9F2E7A.thumb.jpeg.11c4ff265712950c24924d81fc5b615f.jpeg

With the imminent  release of Modernist Bread why would anybody need another book on bread?   Again I flipped through this and knew that I would enjoy reading it.

There is no such thing as "too many bread books" - I think at last count I have about 40 or maybe it was 50.  I still have the "formulary" they gave us when I attended Dunwoodie in 1956 and the Cornell Bread Book (1960), A World of Bread (1960s) can't recall the author. I think I frightened my husband with all the baking I did. He was used to Wonder bread, which I would not buy.  

I finally converted him to real bread and then his mother and dad.  I baked 6 loaves twice a week, three for use, three for them.

My MIL couldn't understand how I could "do all that work" just to make bread. 

• Like 7

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, andiesenji said:

There is no such thing as "too many bread books" - I think at last count I have about 40 or maybe it was 50.  I still have the "formulary" they gave us when I attended Dunwoodie in 1956 and the Cornell Bread Book (1960), A World of Bread (1960s) can't recall the author. I think I frightened my husband with all the baking I did. He was used to Wonder bread, which I would not buy.  

I finally converted him to real bread and then his mother and dad.  I baked 6 loaves twice a week, three for use, three for them.

My MIL couldn't understand how I could "do all that work" just to make bread. 

Is your A World of Breads the one by Dolores Casella? That was one of my mom's go-to bread books. I was thrilled to find my own copy at a library sale last winter in Vermont. Ironically, the only recipe I've ever used from it is the waffle recipe, which is still the one I use when I didn't think ahead to start yeast waffle batter. But I really should explore the rest of the book.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:13 PM, andiesenji said:

That's a great price.   One of my friends was vacationing in the "motherlode" country last month and sent me a photo of a cast iron skillet with a spider on the bottom and ERIE with a number 8 that was in a roadside junk store next to a convenience store.  It was marked "25" so she picked it up and a couple of other things and gave the woman two twenties and got a ten back in change.  

She asked if she had overpaid.  I phoned her because I did not trust myself to type on my iPad.

That is one of the most collectible Griswold skillets and they sell for big bucks.  

Now she feels that she should go back and give the woman more money and is agonizing about it.  

In the meantime she is using it for cornbread.

Since my friends were in Sacramento and decided they wanted to be fair, they drove back to the store where she bought the skillet and told the woman it was valuable and wanted to give her more money. She accepted $250.00 but refused more and laughed and said she had probably sold things that were worth far less than the selling price, so it all evened out in the end.  She gave Lynn another skillet, a small one and gave Steve an antique wooden carpenter's plane - just because they drove all the way back.  

Honesty pays off!

What wonderful people, all of them!

• Like 7

Two books 10 cents each.  The Good Cook series have a amazing wealth of information that I can only start to appreciate after years of cooking, eGulleting and reading about food. 

IMG_0165.thumb.JPG.36e4a18f262f23ca673d4317149eeabe.JPG

Ken Hom book for one dollar.  It is possibly signed by the author.  Can anyone tell me what the writing is?

IMG_0166.thumb.JPG.0db618d3e6756a313dda1512e869d010.JPG

IMG_0167.thumb.JPG.f1e75a8124d18fd721ea23bec54e0112.JPG

• Like 6

I made that same one from

Time - Life

Snacks & Sandwiches

Id suggest that now days

you use a little less butter

between the slices

still quite a bit   

but not 1/4 "  - 1/2 " pre slice.

1/4 "  of the freshest you can get would be fine.

Or ......

the hunters might not made back 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

any green beans in the garden ?

blanched just so and dried ?

or even from the market ?

you just wasn't something green w just a hint of crutch  

not too much.

I will be making this the end of November....I bet I can get fresh green beans from the store.  Good idea!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I will be making this the end of November....I bet I can get fresh green beans from the store.  

You do realize that we will hold you to this?xD   I have added it to my day book. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, MelissaH said:

Is your A World of Breads the one by Dolores Casella? That was one of my mom's go-to bread books. I was thrilled to find my own copy at a library sale last winter in Vermont. Ironically, the only recipe I've ever used from it is the waffle recipe, which is still the one I use when I didn't think ahead to start yeast waffle batter. But I really should explore the rest of the book.

Yes.  That's the one.  I think I have a couple of editions of that book and another one about vegetables.

As I recall, there was a cheesy onion bread that I baked a lot from that book.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

You do realize that we will hold you to this?xD   I have added it to my day book. 

I'm feeling pressure already :ph34r:

To my credit, I DID make the savory cheesecake..... :P

I've written it down on my appetizer idea list....so I think it will make an appearance.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I've always wanted to make one of those pressed bread terrine things.  

I made them often when I was catering.  I didn't assemble them  "free form"  I used a fish poacher that I think I had used twice years before and it was just hanging there doing nothing.

It was IDEAL for making those composed pressed constructions, I lined it with commercial plastic wrap with long "wings" to wrap after it was composed and it was one that had a perforated plate in the bottom, besides the rack, so I used that as a press, after wrapping it and weighted it with three bricks.  

Having the sides straight made it much easier to trim and then slice, compared to my unfortunate efforts before i found that using a "mold" was preferable.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I need to think of something besides asparagus to use.  I don't care for canned and I doubt the grocery store will have fresh....if they do it will be a million dollars a pound.

Freeze dried sugar snap peas.  The frozen sugar snap peas are lovely too.  I use them a lot and they are crunchy and bright green.

• Like 4