• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Tere

Nice haul, @sartoric.  Love the tiffin carrier. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Oh, you got Charmaine's Complete Asian!!

you lucky duck:D:x:x

I agree with that sentiment.  Costco is selling that book right now and I keep ogling it every time I'm in there.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday's modest haul. An 8 qt Cambro with lid for $1.50 and a Farberware "professional" series 8" chef's knife for a dollar. I am more than a little addicted to picking up used knives, partly because they can be used in my ren faire kitchen, and mostly because I like putting new, sharp edges on knives.

CambroAndKnife.jpg

• Like 8

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

28 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yesterday's modest haul. An 8 qt Cambro with lid for $1.50 and a Farberware "professional" series 8" chef's knife for a dollar. I am more than a little addicted to picking up used knives, partly because they can be used in my ren faire kitchen, and mostly because I like putting new, sharp edges on knives.

CambroAndKnife.jpg

Have you had a chance to try out the big melon-cutting knife?   I got a watermelon last week and used my huge French knife with the 12" blade.  

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

10 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

Have you had a chance to try out the big melon-cutting knife?

@andiesenji Yes, it did an awesome job on the watermelon. I bought a Messermeister edge protector and the knife stayed in a drawer except for melon duty.

Thank you so much.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, boilsover said:

The only thing that makes sense is that it was perceived as a zonker gift, and 86'd without even opening it.

Perhaps from a friend who was previously invited to dinner and received seriously over/undercooked meat? Hint, hint. Apparently it fell on deaf ears.

> ^ . . ^ <

IMG_3386.thumb.JPG.a5e4886dbd2031e8cb242f4d674d2939.JPG Over in the Kicking Back in Manitoulin topic I posted this photo of a 12 inch cast iron skillet that Kerry found out in the Flee Market. Posting here in hopes @andiesenji might pop in and tell us what she knows about it. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The Findlay cast iron pan was no doubt made by the same Findlay company that made cast iron wood stoves. We used to have one of the original Findlay Oval cook stoves in my kitchen. We were forced to remove it because our (stupid) insurance company wouldn't cover it. But the good news is that Findlay sold all their molds to Elmira Stove Works who have been making reproduction stoves that meet fire code. I was able to replace the old stove with a newer Elmira one that looks virtually identical. I somehow doubt they sold the molds for the cast iron cookware, though, so you have a collectors item.

• Like 7

Findlay Foundry, Carleton Place, Ontario, was a Canadian cast iron foundry that made cast iron fireplace inserts, free-standing stoves, beginning with the "Franklin" type low stoves and then bigger "parlor" stoves and kitchen ranges.  Also many other cast iron items.  They produced sets of cookware, skillets, tea kettles, pots, Dutch ovens and baking pans.  

I don't recall the dates of production offhand but i think the skillets date to the '30s and '40s.  They went out of business somewhere in the late '60s.

I would have to look up the details if I could find my cast iron book, which seems to have wandered off from its usual place.

They began making skillets, griddles, sauce pots and Dutch ovens just after WWI and continued into the '40s.  They offered them free with their "premium" kitchen ranges, and sold them separately, mostly in general merchandise stores and in what we would now term "convenience stores" small country stores that sold gasoline, kerosene and coal.  I got this information from a collector in Niagara whose grandparents owned one of those country stores.  

• Like 11

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Not a super-duper deal, I suppose, but the Home Hardware near me had the KitchenAid pasta roller accessory kit marked down from its original $279 (CDN) to $179. I'd been looking at it for nearly two years, and it occurred to me a few days ago that the store's manager had been doing so as well. So I offered him $100 for it, and he whisked it off the shelf so quickly the underside practically scorched from the friction. 

• Like 11

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

We are having a heat wave with (for southern CA) high humidity (around 40 or more) so I decided to beat the afternoon heat with some air-conditioned thrift shopping. This was my reward. $5.00 for the both of them. The CIA's The Professional Chef was picked up to look for ideas to improve my techniques in the kitchen.

20170717_books_2.jpg

• Like 9

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

My next door neighbors at beach house own Nice and Fleezy antique shop in North Beach.  They found me #8 Grizwold skillet.  I have immediately used to fry bacon and eggs!  And the price is right!  25 dollars

IMG_0008.thumb.JPG.ec8b2bcd9fceabdffa5b6fd5fde320ab.JPG

• Like 9

SCORE!  Small "logo" 1939 to 1955.  

• Like 6

I have been fighting the urge to buy what I suspect is a Griswold #8 for $7.00 since I have gone on hiatus from restoring CI. My DD and SIL have moved into their new home. They now have room (and already had interest) so I will restore it for them.

• Like 6

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 7/29/2017 at 0:13 PM, Porthos said:

I have been fighting the urge to buy what I suspect is a Griswold #8 for $7.00 since I have gone on hiatus from restoring CI. My DD and SIL have moved into their new home. They now have room (and already had interest) so I will restore it for them.

That's a great price.   One of my friends was vacationing in the "motherlode" country last month and sent me a photo of a cast iron skillet with a spider on the bottom and ERIE with a number 8 that was in a roadside junk store next to a convenience store.  It was marked "25" so she picked it up and a couple of other things and gave the woman two twenties and got a ten back in change.  

She asked if she had overpaid.  I phoned her because I did not trust myself to type on my iPad.

That is one of the most collectible Griswold skillets and they sell for big bucks.  

Now she feels that she should go back and give the woman more money and is agonizing about it.  

In the meantime she is using it for cornbread.

Since my friends were in Sacramento and decided they wanted to be fair, they drove back to the store where she bought the skillet and told the woman it was valuable and wanted to give her more money. She accepted $250.00 but refused more and laughed and said she had probably sold things that were worth far less than the selling price, so it all evened out in the end.  She gave Lynn another skillet, a small one and gave Steve an antique wooden carpenter's plane - just because they drove all the way back.  

Honesty pays off!

• Like 11

Met our daughter and hubby in Pella Iowa yesterday.  The town has a large thrift shop supported by several local churches.  Always good deals to be found and it is clean and organized and just plain fun to shop there.  Found lots of stuff, among it were these books.

Sauces and Salsas by Christine France-$1.00

Panini and Other Great Grilled Sandwiches-.50 cents

Chevys Fresh Mex-$1.00

Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless-.50 cents

Nature Writing edited by Robert Finch and John Elder-$1.00

I already own a copy of the Bayless book but it was too big a bargain to pass up.  It will find a home with a friend

or in a Little Library.

• Like 6