• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Tere

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.jpeg.bd6a897617486fdab722f5cf1d2bc4f4.jpeg

It seems to have been ages since I found anything at a thrift store that I wanted to purchase. Today I made up for it in spades.  I am most thrilled with the speckled blue enamelware but the brown handled cutlery is Canadian made and quite nice.   The two tiny glass pieces (oval  and rectangular) seem to be quite old.  I have tried to read the name on them but no success so far.   All told I paid something less than $10.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had an incredibly lucky day at the local Goodwill! For the sum of one dollar, I got one of the finest cookbooks ever created, Les diners de Gala by Salvador Dali. Yes, there's a recently published reprint, but, no, no, this is the 1973 hardbound first edition, complete with dustjacket!  (and worth at least 115 times what I paid for it!) Yes, there's some edge wear on the dustjacket, but, the book is clean and the pages are bright. It's also an amazing book overall. There are plenty of illustrations, photographs, and the recipes appear to fine dining classics.

Dali1.jpg

Dali2.jpg

Dali3.jpg

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)
  • Like 15

Hey @Anna N, I got an enamel baker just like that last week, mine is cream with a blue edge, reckon it will be great for clafoutis. Here's three books I found yesterday, Splendido by Loukie Werle (I have another of her books and one recipe in particular has become a regular repeat), the low fat Indian may give me some ideas (and I can always add ghee or oil) these two were 50 cents each. I paid $2 for the Vegetarian World Food by Kurma Dasa. I'd heard of him, writer of four cookbooks, he started cooking in a Hare Krishna temple in Sydney in the '70s. I was saddened to find that someone has ripped pages from the book ! Four pages are gone, two in the Indian section I was most interested in. 

A despicable act, I don't know how anyone could do that to a book. End rant.

IMG_3513.thumb.JPG.5f5f603690e30ddb6b2759c560602f94.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.thumb.jpeg.bd6a897617486fdab722f5cf1d2bc4f4.jpeg

It seems to have been ages since I found anything at a thrift store that I wanted to purchase. Today I made up for it in spades.  I am most thrilled with the speckled blue enamelware but the brown handled cutlery is Canadian made and quite nice.   The two tiny glass pieces (oval  and rectangular) seem to be quite old.  I have tried to read the name on them but no success so far.   All told I paid something less than $10.

The rectangle and oval dishes are part of a Glasbake Our Betty Jane child's baking set, introduced in the late 1930s, they resumed production in 1946 and ended in 1948.  The early ones had ridges on all pieces, the postwar ones did not.

Pyrex also introduced a child's set of bakeware and McKee always hit the market with similar items to compete.  I have several pieces in my collection.

This the the full set.   

58f82cbb67cc4_ScreenShot2017-04-19at8_32_53PM.thumb.png.d681e4539c06554de9292ad2aeefbc1c.png

• Like 10

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

@andiesenji,

Thank you. I am always  astounded by your breadth of knowledge. 

My daughter asked me what this might be 

image.thumb.jpeg.3a8b1fdebdb437d9b219f4f32729671a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.485826ea3a18a4e748bd0151d3c7a5cc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c2de07d19042ade4cb989a1a0f52766d.jpeg

The writing appears to say "Winelever"  but I was unable to cast any light on it. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

it removes the ' cap ' off the wine to reveal the cork.

the 4 little discs are the cutters

place on top of the wine ,cutters down ,  pinch a little and rotate.

not for twist tops !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 10

Today. It was on the top shelf of our local Value Village and, at first, I thought it was just an ugly pot like something I might have gotten as a wedding present. But when I picked it up I realized it's a vintage Le Creuset in a pattern that is so retro that it's almost cool. Looked it up and discovered that it's a 1980's design called Petits Fruits and Le Creuset has actually re-issued it recently (it may even be currently available!). I got it for $21 (including my Tuesday Seniors discount!). Very pleased.

IMG_1961.JPG

• Like 18

2 hours ago, sartoric said:

So much for my cook book buying moratorium. 

I'm amused to see the Jean Pare cookbook. They're ubiquitous here in Canada, but I wouldn't have expected them to travel so far. I should know better, I suppose, based on their sales numbers. 

I have her biography around here somewhere. Heck of a story. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

One of my favorite anecdotes from the biography was of a trade show she attended with her books. She'd gotten no traction with the conventional book industry so she'd had her books printed inexpensively in spiral-bound editions and sold them from freestanding displays at convenience stores, gas stations...anywhere she could, really. Part of that strategy included attending trade shows where she could make contacts. 

At one such show an intense, red-faced gent stood for a few moments in front of their display, shaking his head in pained amazement. Then then proceeded to mansplain to them in detail how amateur their setup was, and how they'd never get anywhere like this. "How many have you sold this way?" he eventually demanded. 

Pare looked at her daughter, shrugged, and said "I don't know...385,000 or so?"

He blanched visibly, told her "Keep doing what you're doing," and melted back into the crowd. 

(NB: anecdote delivered from memory, so the words and numbers might not be exactly as written, but that was the gist of it)

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 3/14/2017 at 8:13 PM, Porthos said:

Found this Wilton RWP platter, approx 16" x 12", for $3.14 after discounts. It will be the new platter for raw veggies and fruit for my ren faire head table . Head table eats off of metal, common folk eat from wooden bowls and platters.

HeadTableP_latter.JPG

I am disappointed. While I find this platter beautiful it turns out to be a fail for it's intended application.It is thicker than the other Wilton platters I own. When loaded up with enough cut up veggies and fruits for 10 people it is too heavy and awkward to easily pass around the table.  Not sure if I will be able to find a practical use for it at faire.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I am disappointed. While I find this platter beautiful it turns out to be a fail for it's intended application.It is thicker than the other Wilton platters I own. When loaded up with enough cut up veggies and fruits for 10 people it is too heavy and awkward to easily pass around the table.  Not sure if I will be able to find a practical use for it at faire.

Could you pile bread on it?   Manchet rolls "the size of two fists" for the lord's table.

- that term always made me chuckle when I was in baking school and we had a lecture on the history of bread.  

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

image.jpeg.d7d66c240f1fdfa4b9074e2686468318.jpeg

Not a great photograph for which I apologize.  This is the result of some retail therapy today. In the back left covered by three notebooks (I cannot resist notebooks) is a 9x13 Wilton baking pan with a cover $7.99).   I rarely buy print cookbooks much preferring e-books but each of these was less than $10 and I couldn't resist. I have promised myself that I can be allowed to enjoy them even if I never cook a single recipe from anyone of them!   The jars, from the left: 

"Italian" seasoning, red wine vinegar and Greek capers.  

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Sooooo

the plant was your own ?

Ah, the plant!  That was an unexpected gift from my daughter who knows that I have black thumbs. I will enjoy it as long as I can and then it will go back to her and she will plant the bulbs or whatever gardeners do with those things.  The smell of hyacinth brings back many, many memories not one of which is triggered by my ability to grow anything. xDxD

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I actually have something to post.  Since I was on my own this afternoon,I decided to see what the thrift shops in my area had to offer.  I went to three of them, and left empty-handed from the first.  At the second I spotted this Riedel glass which matches what we have.  At 99 cents, I snapped it up.  Sadly, they only had the one.  At the third I bought three books which set me back a total of $3.33.  

A bit of a story about the Canlit book.  I used to have it but had to purge my books when we moved and that was one of them.   I took the two recipes I knew I absolutely wanted (nanaimo bars and date squares) and saved them to Evernote.  I am throwing a birthday party on the 13th and thought I would make the Nanaimo bars from the recipe from that book except I can't find it.  The one for the date squares I had but not the other.  So it was serendipity when I found the book today. And now,  there will be date squares!

20170502_174008.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 9

I picked up this book today and have only read the introduction.

Meena grew up in Bombay, had an interest in cooking from a young age and was determined to have a career in food technology. Then, out of the blue a marriage proposal arrived via her aunt. She was fiercely opposed, but agreed to consider the idea, met him, and at the age of twenty moved to the UK. Her betrotheds family founded the Pataks empire in England (they dropped the H). 

Worth 50 cents for that story even if the recipes aren't.

IMG_3562.thumb.JPG.86fd23f6aab721d61efead8695128fde.JPG

• Like 6

My day started at "Book Fest" an annual three day book sale run by Lifeline. The event is so huge it's held at the convention and exhibition centre. Imagine a 100 metre long trestle table with 5 rows of books spine up, and that's only the cooking section. Within 5 minutes I had reached my "capacity to carry" limit. The long wanted Complete Asian by Charmaine Solomon, Complete Indian by Suneeta Vaswani, Complete Middle East by Tess Mallos (she was Australian of Greek immigrants and had a long and varied career in food, I have three other books by her) and Cooking under the Influence by Ben Canader and Greg Duncan-Powell (I already have this great book, copy is for a friend).

Total cost $15, and I am now complete.

IMG_3570.thumb.JPG.b5bde659561eb6e2d815be06ba2cb767.JPG

Topped that with a tiffin carrier from the Lifeline shop nearby $4.

• Like 4