• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Tere

52 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Is this a trick question? It looks like a disher or ladle, with a projection to hang it on the side of the cooking pot. It must be a trick question, because the 90 degree bend on the hanger should be oriented the other way. I'm curious. 

Nope.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Found this Wilton RWP platter, approx 16" x 12", for $3.14 after discounts. It will be the new platter for raw veggies and fruit for my ren faire head table . Head table eats off of metal, common folk eat from wooden bowls and platters.

HeadTableP_latter.JPG

24 years ago, I received one of these as a wedding gift.  I hated it, thought it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen.  I kept it only because the giftor was a closer friend who might notice if it disappeared.

Eventually, I wised up.  Now it's like Charlton Heston's musket to me... 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sartoric said:

Who knows what this is ?

IMG_3331.thumb.JPG.b7858e4bf6669b8334184649875c81e7.JPG

It's a "tadka pan or tempering ladle" - I had one but gave it to a friend who was experimenting with Indian foods.  It's used to cook or fry spices, seeds, etc., that you are going to add to a dish.  Here's one on Amazon India.58c94aab2f314_ScreenShot2017-03-15at7_07_04AM.png.01f39fbe8e00d5c2167f2f0a7a199fc7.png

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Correct @andiesenji. I had been looking at my local op shop for a small ladle to use while making dosa. I carried this around while browsing the rest of the store, then decided against it, and put it back where I found it. My next stop was a suburb away at the Indian grocer, where I noticed a new one in a box. The store owner explained what it was for, so after buying my spices, I hotfooted it back to the op shop, bought it, and felt a tiny bit smug about saving $10.50 off the new price. Here it is on the stove....

IMG_3334.thumb.JPG.095d6f8758a1039132663dc762f6cd8e.JPG

• Like 7

14 hours ago, boilsover said:

OK., this week's score was an Apilco 1.5L oval casserole.  It wasn't a steal at $30, but Replacements sells them for $130.  Inaugurated it with a small cassoulet...

Apilco.jpg

We have a discount store in this area called Ocean State Job Lot. They buy out inventories of closed stores. Some years ago these  showed up and I bought these two. I have no idea what I paid, but they are pleasing to the eye and fun to use.

HC

IMG_1483.thumb.JPG.d4d9876df5a6c5bb0dccd3954da7c049.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, sartoric said:

Correct @andiesenji. I had been looking at my local op shop for a small ladle to use while making dosa. I carried this around while browsing the rest of the store, then decided against it, and put it back where I found it. My next stop was a suburb away at the Indian grocer, where I noticed a new one in a box. The store owner explained what it was for, so after buying my spices, I hotfooted it back to the op shop, bought it, and felt a tiny bit smug about saving $10.50 off the new price. Here it is on the stove....

I got mine because it worked better on the burner I had for cooking Indian foods - I almost always cooked them outside on the deck because otherwise my entire house reeked of cooked spices. 

We have an excellent Indian market here in Lancaster. I think it is a chain, India Sweets and Spices.  They carry a lot of interesting items besides food.

The propane cooker had concentric rings and each one could be used separately or with the others. So only the center ring lit when using the small pans and the bigger ones added as the size of the vessel increased.  When I was catering, I had them mounted on carts, along with the propane tank and each cart had a fire extinguisher hung on the end.  

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

7 hours ago, sartoric said:

That would still make it a non-tip ladle.  Just saying...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HungryChris said:

We have a discount store in this area called Ocean State Job Lot. They buy out inventories of closed stores. Some years ago these  showed up and I bought these two. I have no idea what I paid, but they are pleasing to the eye and fun to use.

HC

IMG_1483.thumb.JPG.d4d9876df5a6c5bb0dccd3954da7c049.JPG

Are they Apilco?

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I have one of those spice toasters but mine is definitely tipable:(

it is very thick and does a great job.  I love it. 

Some are made for use on the charcoal braziers that have a ring over the center that the pans fit into so there is no need for the support.  The Indian market had them - with longer handles - but I liked the look of the one I had and the clerk recommended it.  

• Like 3

My 3 qt saucier is too big for some jobs, particularly when I have several pots on the stove. I looked at a 2 qt online but didn't want to spend the bucks for something I only want rather than need. Since I am a hardcore thrift shopper I decided to keep an eye out, even though I don't recall seeing any in the past. Today I hit pay dirt with this 2 qt made-by-Calphalon saucier for $4.49.  Not pictured is an 8 qt pasta pot/steamer for $7.18 for my faire kitchen. While my daughter is now the head of the Southern faire kitchen I'm still the source of the equipment, happily so.

Saucier.jpg

• Like 10

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I like that term @Porthos, another hardcore thrift store shopper here, although we call 'em op shops (short for opportunity shop). 

Todays haul, digital scales still in the box $6, Hot & Spicy by Charmaine Solomon $1, and two Lonely Planets $2 each.

IMG_3360.thumb.JPG.ae9e73220acc7c31fd8e05ae72d3f057.JPG

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Porthos said:

Today I hit pay dirt with this 2 qt made-by-Calphalon saucier for $4.49. 

Saucier.jpg

Nice looking find.  Is that a disk bottomed pan or a tri-ply, clad pan?

... Shel

2 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Nice looking find.  Is that a disk bottomed pan or a tri-ply, clad pan?

Disk-bottom, same as the 3 qt Vollrath pan I have and the pan I was looking at online.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

@sartoric, that Charmaine Solomon cookbook has an interesting set of cuisines: Thai, Indian, Asian and ... Cajun?! She really jumped the ocean there, didn't she? :B

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

27 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@sartoric, that Charmaine Solomon cookbook has an interesting set of cuisines: Thai, Indian, Asian and ... Cajun?! She really jumped the ocean there, didn't she? :B

Yep, it's old too, published 1991. I continue to look for her complete Asian and complete vegetarian, they will appear !

• Like 1

We did not buy it but this air fryer was in one of our local thrift stores with the price tag of $30. It looked as if it had been used maybe once or twice.

image.jpeg.236b3306e0d752237a58313c2298c834.jpeg

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I Do Not Need Any More Cookbooks.  I keep saying that, and acquiring them anyway for one very good reason or another.

20170325_120121.jpg

$0.25 at the library book sale.  One quarter of a dollar!  Well, of course I couldn't pass it up. (Payment goes into an honor box.  Since I'd just spent 3 very comfortable hours using their electricity and air conditioning I overpaid a bit.)

This book looks like fun.  Chapters are by month; subchapters are holidays or parties or festivals.  There are plenty of photos and descriptions of each occasion, followed by recipes ranging from the savory (Pecan-Crusted Rabbit with Wilted Greens and Creole Dressing) and spicy (Jalapeño Corn Bread) to the sweet (Chocolate Chess Pie, Chocolate Coeur à la Crème, and Three-Chocolate Bark with Spiced Pecans and Dried Cherries are under Valentine's Day).  Name a southern US party occasion, and you'll find a food to fit. 

Heck, I've already gotten my money's worth out of it, for the entertainment of looking through it.

• Like 8

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Yesterday's haul included the Charmaine Solomon Complete Vegetarian $5 and The Latin American Kitchen $2.50, plus a couple of Tupperware storers $2 each. I have a few of these already and like them for their small footprint.

IMG_3404.thumb.JPG.fd47e985f70566001ea985cc383df84c.JPG

• Like 6