• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Tere

You SCORED!  This was made before 1959 in the era when they were still using "good iron" and the Griswold molds so the skillets and griddles were thinner and heated more evenly.  The cooking surfaces were "milled" after casting so they were smoother and with careful seasoning, as slick as glass and non-stick - as long as nothing with high acid content was cooked in or on it for too long.

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, andiesenji said:

You SCORED!  This was made before 1959 in the era when they were still using "good iron" and the Griswold molds so the skillets and griddles were thinner and heated more evenly.  The cooking surfaces were "milled" after casting so they were smoother and with careful seasoning, as slick as glass and non-stick - as long as nothing with high acid content was cooked in or on it for too long.

Thank you @andiesenji, it means a lot coming from you.  

• Like 1

On 03/02/2017 at 3:37 PM, Porthos said:

I am thinking that I may have scored big-time. Not sure, though. Picked it up this morning for $4.00. The best info I can find is that it may or may not be a Shun but it is an 8" carving knife. As usual, the edge needs work. I normally change knives I buy to have an 18°/18° degree edge but I think I will keep the original angle on this one.

KAI_All.jpg

I would say you got a great deal..    there is three views at the following link, the third one shows similar markings to yours. I think yours is just an older model. 

https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/classic-carving-knife

Edited by Ashen (log)
  • Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Ive seen similar this in France over the years.

you may or may not ( I didn't look into it carefully back then )

put a little water dans le bottome 

that kept the cheese ' moist '

and it ' room aged ' as such.

go back and buy one or 4 more.

one does not mix the Bleu cheese  with the tasty runny camembert !

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ive seen similar this in France over the years.

you may or may not ( I didn't look into it carefully back then )

put a little water dans le bottome 

that kept the cheese ' moist '

and it ' room aged ' as such.

go back and buy one or 4 more.

one does not mix the Bleu cheese  with the tasty runny camembert !

I often ask thrift shops and yard sale people: can I have one (or four) more of whatever it is I am buying.  Getting various and not always very nice responses to that. The lid has instructions that do indicate adding some water.  Will report on the results later.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chefmd said:

11 dollars for this almost new citrus press.  Needs to be washed, that's all.

The middle eastern store sells these as "pomegranate press"  and indeed they work quite well for that task.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

After 1922 almost all are marked with the new "Wagner Ware" so yours is older.  The company bought the Sidney foundry in about 1898 - there has recently been some argument about the exact date.

This is from a cast iron blog.  I can't find the attribution but it is on numerous web pages and is not copyrighted.

It's a beauty!

“It may have “Sidney, Ohio” on the bottom or just “Sidney O.” This indicates that the piece was made by Wagner Ware before 1922.   Many early pieces are labeled as “Wagner” with the name in quotation marks. The company used this early marking prior to 1922, sometimes in combination with the Sidney name. This indicates that the piece is an authentic Wagner.

• Like 6

@andiesenji  thank you!   Then this must be my grandmother's skillet.  My son ruined one of the two I had and I was never sure which was which.  I also have two small 6.5 inch cast iron skillets but they are 'Wagner Ware'.  Now I'm ambitious to clean up the aged beauty.  Thanks again!

• Like 4

I recently cleaned one - not taking it all the way to bare iron - using just ammonia.   

I have one of the Sterilite inexpensive small storage bins with a tight fitting lid.

I put an old cake cooling rack that I was going to throw out in the bottom of the bin, put the skillet upside down on it and put four glass cups in the corners, filled each one with ammonia, put the lid on and left it for about 3 days out on my deck - actually forgot about it.

I put on my gardening goggles and a dish towel covering my nose and mouth before I opened it and I wore rubber gloves.

Most of the gunk washed off and I used a grill brush to knock off some that stuck. 

It's not 100% bare but it looks good, the heat ring around the outer edge is clean.  And the effort was negligible.

• Like 6

image.jpeg.b06d7c1eea48025b148faa1e642bbea5.jpeg

Have not scored very much at thrift stores just lately. This little plate caught my eye and I just had to have it.

It was just less than two dollars. 

image.jpeg.3bc83bb604744f3f7eb43a14e010ddc4.jpeg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

I found this in my own junkheap.

Sharp edges on the circular part as well as the blades in the center.

I say its a Mayan trephining instrument...

58c615e9bc07d_10_12.16001.thumb.jpg.ef504c2bdf229bbf8e333c9d779b2cbb.jpg

58c615ff9f24c_10_12.16002.thumb.jpg.53cc9c8d7eae69ca7e8d7362d1471db7.jpg

For trephining for sure - or maybe making a hole in watermelon to pour in vodka? Or holes in cheese?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, gfweb said:

@andiesenji what do you think?

Cylinder vegetable cutter?

I have on somewhere in my gadget collection that cuts the center out of long, round vegetables but mine is plastic with steel blades.

The exterior had to be "finished"  now they have ones that cut the outside at the same time as coring.

Your looks like it would cut the core into ribbons.

This is similar to the one I have.

58c7f93294a22_ScreenShot2017-03-14at7_05_47AM.thumb.png.4b048b787a7df4e3cc185a39c933bf3c.png

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2

Found this Wilton RWP platter, approx 16" x 12", for $3.14 after discounts. It will be the new platter for raw veggies and fruit for my ren faire head table . Head table eats off of metal, common folk eat from wooden bowls and platters.

HeadTableP_latter.JPG

• Like 7

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

Who knows what this is ?

IMG_3331.thumb.JPG.b7858e4bf6669b8334184649875c81e7.JPG

Is this a trick question? It looks like a disher or ladle, with a projection to hang it on the side of the cooking pot. It must be a trick question, because the 90 degree bend on the hanger should be oriented the other way. I'm curious. 

> ^ . . ^ <

42 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Is this a trick question? It looks like a disher or ladle, with a projection to hang it on the side of the cooking pot. It must be a trick question, because the 90 degree bend on the hanger should be oriented the other way. I'm curious. 

I think it's just a tip-proof ladle.

• Like 1