• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Tere

I found this barely-used pressure cooker for $6.79 this morning.  This will end up in my ren faire kitchens since my daughter who lives with us bought an Instant Pot on a Black Friday deal. It's on the stove right now being tested with pinto beans.

ETA: Beans test a success. Happy camper here.

PressureCooker.jpg

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 11

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 1/3/2017 at 2:17 PM, btbyrd said:

Nice! That's the stovetop model I have. Works well... nice construction on the base.

Do you ever run the body portion through your dishwasher?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

The whole thing is dishwasher safe except for the sealing-ring and overpressure plug. I've run the top and bottom through many times (and have even run the sealing ring through a couple times on the top rack when it was starting to smell like aromatics and alliums). It's a solid unit. Just pop the ring and plug out, and dishwasher-away! 

Here's the link to the product page, which has the specs and manual (which contains a bunch of recipes and guidelines, if you're new to pressure cooking... which I don't think you are).

In related news, I miss having a dishwasher.

Edited by btbyrd (log)

@btbyrd  Thanks so much. My Bosch dishwasher doesn't have a drying coil so I have no concerns about the sealing ring.  The pressure cooker manual gives out the usual "don't clean in an automatic dishwasher because of the harsh chemicals" line. In practice, when this goes out to faire, it will always be hand-washed because hand-washing is all we have. I want to experiment with my faire vegan barley recipe here at home and do not want to have to hand-wash just to run my tests.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

41 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

The whole thing is dishwasher safe except for the sealing-ring and overpressure plug. I've run the top and bottom through many times (and have even run the sealing ring through a couple times on the top rack when it was starting to smell like aromatics and alliums). It's a solid unit. Just pop the ring and plug out, and dishwasher-away! 

Here's the link to the product page, which has the specs and manual (which contains a bunch of recipes and guidelines, if you're new to pressure cooking... which I don't think you are).

In related news, I miss having a dishwasher.

I have to ask you an appearance question. It may or may not matter to you but I have found the black parts on similar, although not the same, pots and pans quickly lose their blackness and their sheen in the dishwasher.  Have you found this?

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I can't say that I ran it through enough times for that to become an issue, if it was going to be an issue. I'd estimate that it went through fewer than 20 times, but the finish looks more or less the same as when it was new. At the time I bought it, it was the best value for the dollar I could find -- though nothing like the $7 find from Porthos! I've always wanted a Kuhn Rikon PC, but those are very expensive. I expect that the Presto (and an IP) will serve me just fine for at least the next decade. The tri-clad, sandiwched stainless/aluminum bottom on the base is nice and thick, and it heats evenly. I often use the base as a largeish pot when I need something bigger than my 4-qt All Clad and smaller than my 20-qt All Clad stock pot.

But if anyone wants to sell me a 12-qt Kuhn Rikon for $7, please send me a message.

• Like 2

IMG_3966.JPG

Some days, some thrift stores you get lucky! The discoloured food saver didn't seal until I took it apart and checked all it's connections - seems to be working fine now. I think I'll take it to work and leave it in the call room. I prefer not to sous vide in ziplocks so if I find something at the 24 hour Sobey's on my way to work I'll be able to seal it. 

A new flan can that doesn't look like it will split apart like my last one. And of course a copy of Time-Life Candy - can't leave one of those on the shelf. Will have to find a home for it.

• Like 9

Background: Each year for the southern California faire I try to add some one thing to improve the feast kitchen. Since my daughter is taking over the management of the kitchen I asked her about a couple of options. She liked the idea of have more shelving space for dirty cookware and serving pieces. Currently the shelving unit is a 36" x 14", 4 shelf unit that is somewhat shorter than 5'.

Best find of the day: Chrome wire shelving. 36" x 18" inch, 5 shelves, 6' tall. Normally $39.99 when on sale at Target. I got it for $27.00. Dirty dishes shelves accomplished.

I found a 13" Wilton Armetale platter and my very most favorite-shaped feast serving bowl, $3.59 each.

Bowl and Platter.jpg

Not shown: 3 brand new 13 gallon tall kitchen trash cans for $2.70 each and a knife block for my FIL's kitchen. He's not living here right now and I'm not much for knives in a drawer.

It was a very productive thrift shopping day. :)

• Like 12

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I do so love that bowl.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

At faire some of the things we prepare are "pass foods", that is, someone will carry the bowl around the feast tables and offer small spoonfuls to whomever wants some. This style bowl is easily carried cradled in one arm leaving the other arm/hand free to dish up whatever they are offering. Chunked potatoes, chunked fruit and cooked veggies work particularly well in them.  This is the one bowl I can never pass up when found in a thrift store.

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have a bowl of that design; I think it's made from acacia.  It's one of my favorites...doubly so because it was a gift from my parents.  I happen to know that the price was quite a bit more than $3.59.  Nice finds, @Porthos!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

image.jpegimage.jpeg

A little thrift store shopping yesterday. Against my better judgement I picked up four (real) books as opposed to my much favoured Kindle kind. Two interesting observations. The Way We Ate is an uncorrected proof. I'm quite fascinated by it as I have never seen such an edition before. The second observation is that the Anne Willan book I deemed the least likely to interest me has me under its spell.  It is the only one of the four that I expect I may end up cooking from.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

A little thrift store shopping yesterday. Against my better judgement I picked up four (real) books as opposed to my much favoured Kindle kind. Two interesting observations. The Way We Ate is an uncorrected proof. I'm quite fascinated by it as I have never seen such an edition before. The second observation is that the Anne Willan book I deemed the least likely to interest me has me under its spell.  It is the only one of the four that I expect I may end up cooking from.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_copy

Working in a library we see these all the time.  It was possibly illegal for your store to sell it.  Libraries are not even allowed to lend them.  They are to be given away at no charge.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_copy

Working in a library we see these all the time.  It was possibly illegal for your store to sell it.  Libraries are not even allowed to lend them.  They are to be given away at no charge.

We are talking a thrift store so I rather doubt anyone would have even noticed. 

My 2004 eG Blog

I was a book reviewer for about five years and got several of those to read.  When it was a well know author, I really, really wanted to turn a quick buck but my job would have gone up in a puff of smoke.  

I picked up a nice copy of Hungry Planet last week in the local Good Will store.  And also a couple of pieces of  Vision Ware.

I'm as giddy as a school boy. Three Heavy-duty Kirkland S/S NSF-rated mixing bowls (3 qt, 5 qt, 8 qt) for $3.59! I picked up the Tramontina equivalent of the 3 qt on Sunday for $2.69.

KirklandBowls.jpg

• Like 14

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, Nyleve Baar said:

Pretty little Apilco gratin dishes yesterday at Value Village. $3.99 for 4 of them. Not sure I'll ever use them but I can't resist French china.

IMG_0829.JPG

Very cute! I have similar little no name gratin dishes and find them useful for all kinds of dips for chips, especially for guacamole and salsa.

PS: Refried Beans with cheese melted on top from a few seconds in the microwave.

Edited by robirdstx
PS (log)
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...