• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

16 hours ago, chromedome said:

Nice. Now's the time to stock up on that kind of stuff, I guess, because a lot of it is going for dirt-cheap prices at estate sales (nobody wants granny's china anymore). In another 15-20 years, when tons of it has gone (sadly) to landfill, the pendulum will swing back and the hip young whatever-generation-after-Z kids will be buying it and driving the price back up.

You're right.  I have 3 sets of silver because I'm the only one in the family that likes it and is willing to polish it.   One of the places we went to yesterday had a whole set of Limoges china (not my pattern) dirt cheap.  Hard to see people going crazy over 1970s crap and donating their parents' high quality stuff to Goodwill.  

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

15 hours ago, chromedome said:

Nice. Now's the time to stock up on that kind of stuff, I guess, because a lot of it is going for dirt-cheap prices at estate sales (nobody wants granny's china anymore). In another 15-20 years, when tons of it has gone (sadly) to landfill, the pendulum will swing back and the hip young whatever-generation-after-Z kids will be buying it and driving the price back up.

You're right.  I have 3 sets of silver because I'm the only one in the family that likes it and it willing to polish it.   One of the places we went to yesterday had a whole set of Limoges china (not my pattern) dirt cheap.  Hard to see people going crazy over 1970s crap and donating their parents' high quality stuff to Goodwill.