• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

A very attractive tiki mug! Was my first impression as well

I'm 99% sure it's a calligraphy brush holder. That it is from Taiwan and features the Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove is a big give-away.  That image  is very typical of Chinese brush holders. Here is an example , although this one is carved bamboo rather than ceramic:

Brushpot with depiction of the Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove, China, Qing dynasty, 17th-18th century AD, bamboo - Ethnological Museum, Berlin

909497454_Brushpot_with_depiction_of_the_Seven_Sages_of_the_Bamboo_Grove_China_Qing_dynasty_17th-18t-ury_AD_bamboo_-_Ethnological_Museum_Berlin_-_DSC01999.thumb.JPG.7da66733affab8fc1c377a96cf3ea0c3.JPG

Public Domain Image via Wikicommons

Many more here.

Tiki mugs didn't emerge until the 1960s  - and far from China.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

A very attractive tiki mug! Was my first impression as well

I'm 99% sure it's a calligraphy brush holder. That it is from Taiwan and features the Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove is a big give-away.  That image  is very typical of Chinese brush holders. Here is an example , although this one is carved bamboo rather than ceramic:

Brushpot with depiction of the Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove, China, Qing dynasty, 17th-18th century AD, bamboo - Ethnological Museum, Berlin

909497454_Brushpot_with_depiction_of_the_Seven_Sages_of_the_Bamboo_Grove_China_Qing_dynasty_17th-18t-ury_AD_bamboo_-_Ethnological_Museum_Berlin_-_DSC01999.thumb.JPG.7da66733affab8fc1c377a96cf3ea0c3.JPG

Public Domain Image via Wikicommons

Tiki mugs didn't emerge until the 1960s  - and far from China.