• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

On 6/26/2019 at 2:00 PM, tikidoc said:

I have several of their knives. Good quality, comfortable to hold (for me - I know this is a personal thing), good price.

It just came.  Nice knife!  Feels good in my hand.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't purchased anything from Kerekes/Bake Deco for a few years but still get periodic emails with specials.

I know that some members use molds and etc.   I have always been very satisfied with their products. 

This special runs till August 1.  You just have to sign up for their email which arrive about every three months. to get a valid Promo Code.  

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

4 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I haven't purchased anything from Kerekes/Bake Deco for a few years but still get periodic emails with specials.

I know that some members use molds and etc.   I have always been very satisfied with their products. 

This special runs till August 1.  You just have to sign up for their email which arrive about every three months. to get a valid Promo Code.  

KEREKES/Bake Deco Supplies

Looks like the link is wrong, points back to eG.

7 hours ago, jbates said:

Looks like the link is wrong, points back to eG.

Sorry.  Try now.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Costco online is having a sale for St. Michel La Grand Galette cookies.  4 boxes for the price of one elsewhere, tax and shipping included.   They are buttery, sweet but not overly so, salty but not overly so.  Good with tea, coffee, or cold, cold milk.  I suppose they would make a killer crust on a creamy dessert.   They have long shelf life due to the cracker like consistency.

The Instant Pot Ultra, 6 Quart size, has just dropped to $84.77 on Amazon (USA). This cooker, with its apparent fine-tune capability of temperature settings, would have been my preference over the more standard Instant Pot back when I was buying, but I thought the price too high. Now I'm not feeling flush enough to spring for it even at $85 - but it's a heck of a good price.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

RCWilley is now offering the FirstBuild Paragon Induction Cooktop at $69.97 plus shipping.

• Like 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Just a thought @Smithy, you might mention this in the Paragon thread.  Thankfully the spare Paragon boxes take up less living room space than the CSO.

Sure, I'll do that. I'll let you mention the smaller box size for backups, though. :D

I'll mention here that the Instant Pot Ultra 6 quart multicooker is now at Amazon for $83.77. I've been enjoying mine and posting about it over here. I think the extra flexibility of the Ultra makes it a far better unit than the Duo, and this is a heck of a good price. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 8:14 AM, Smithy said:

Sure, I'll do that. I'll let you mention the smaller box size for backups, though. :D

I'll mention here that the Instant Pot Ultra 6 quart multicooker is now at Amazon for $83.77. I've been enjoying mine and posting about it over here. I think the extra flexibility of the Ultra makes it a far better unit than the Duo, and this is a heck of a good price. 

Absolutely. I love putting it on keep warm and setting the temp between 160 - 175, setting the timer for 99.5 hours, and putting on the glass lid for a multi-day slow-cooker.

4 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Would these be considered good deals? I’d like to try SV out but don’t want to invest a ton. 

Not knowing anything about the brand, I'd be inclined to give the sealer a fair try.  But for a circulator I'd stick with anova (just not the anova nano).

Joule maybe, if you like to fiddle with your phone.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Would these be considered good deals? I’d like to try SV out but don’t want to invest a ton. 

4BD3E96C-C465-448C-806C-5C1705C22A84.png

5943B166-DFA8-484B-9B77-6BE620AFCAE8.png

We might need to see some specs on the circulator before being able to answer. Is it this one? If so, then its 1200 watts sounds like a pretty good deal, but you can get it for $49.99 on Amazon and that's a better price. If it's another one then you might be better served spending an extra $30 for the Anova Nano which is only 750 watts but isn't restricted by the built-in clamp of the NutriChef. (@Shelby has a Gourmia? iGourmia? circulator, I think, with such a clamp. Maybe she can say whether it's a nuisance.)

That vacuum sealer price is a good one if the unit works, but I must say that I don't use my vacuum sealer much for sous vide. As often as not I use Ziplock-style bags that I can seal, wash thoroughly afterward and reuse. I admit that I find it absurdly fun to use my FoodSaver and watch the air get sucked out of the bag, but for sous vide purposes I generally use the displacement method: squeeze out a fair amount of the air, close the bag most of the way, submerge it while keeping the opening above water, let the water compress the bag so the rest of the air comes out. Going without the vacuum sealer is even more money saved. Incidentally, if you intend to sous vide something with liquid (a marinade, say, or oil) inside the bag, the liquid will almost certainly get sucked into the vacuum sealer and wreck it. That's another reason I've gone to the displacement method.

Edited to add: while I was typing this, JoNorvelleWalker raised the same question I did about the wattage. As her post indicates, the Nano hasn't gotten much love around here. It is, however, the least expensive of the Anova line.

Edited by Smithy
Added comment (log)
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Going without the vacuum sealer is even more money saved. Incidentally, if you intend to sous vide something with liquid (a marinade, say, or oil) inside the bag, the liquid will almost certainly get sucked into the vacuum sealer and wreck it. That's another reason I've gone to the displacement method.

That's another reason to go with a chamber vacuum sealer.

• Like 1

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

That's another reason to go with a chamber vacuum sealer.

I'd do that if I were interested in investing "a ton of money" (she isn't, yet) and if I had a place to put it. Running out of space in the overflow pantries, and not ready yet to give up the guest room! :D 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'd do that if I were interested in investing "a ton of money" (she isn't, yet) and if I had a place to put it. Running out of space in the overflow pantries, and not ready yet to give up the guest room! :D 

Not sure but she probably has more space than my one bedroom apartment.

• Like 2