• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

A4 Box just sent me a "Buy 1, Get 2" holiday sale. Now I'm really tempted. The code is "BOX1GET2". The email shows the blue and white versions, $249 each. I haven't looked to see whether the sale also applies to accessories. 

Once again, code is BOX1GET2

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 12/17/2022 at 10:23 AM, Smithy said:

A4 Box just sent me a "Buy 1, Get 2" holiday sale. Now I'm really tempted. The code is "BOX1GET2". The email shows the blue and white versions, $249 each. I haven't looked to see whether the sale also applies to accessories. 

They are being very aggressive with promos right now — I just got an email noting a new light grey version, and a 50% off promo, which I think is the best we've seen. Code for that is COOK50.

Sadly the extra pans are sold out at the moment, only the cookers themselves are in stock.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, dtremit said:

They are being very aggressive with promos right now — I just got an email noting a new light grey version, and a 50% off promo, which I think is the best we've seen. Code for that is COOK50.

Sadly the extra pans are sold out at the moment, only the cookers themselves are in stock.

50% off appeals to me more than "buy 2 for the price of 1" since I can't think who else I could get one for. That said, I don't know where I'd put one if I got it! So I'll probably still pass although it looks like a really fun gizmo. Not being able to get the extra trays is a factor also.

I got the light grey email too. I don't think it looks nearly as pretty as the current, pearlescent finishes, but someone apparently thinks there's a market for it.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

50% off appeals to me more than "buy 2 for the price of 1" since I can't think who else I could get one for. That said, I don't know where I'd put one if I got it! So I'll probably still pass although it looks like a really fun gizmo. Not being able to get the extra trays is a factor also.

I got the light grey email too. I don't think it looks nearly as pretty as the current, pearlescent finishes, but someone apparently thinks there's a market for it.

I ended up grabbing a blue one; figure I can add the pans later when they have another sale. I would really like the deep pot for hotpot and the like.

They always had more colors for the 240v version (I think the company is based in Korea) — wondering if they just did a run of 120v units with different housings.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 1:07 PM, TdeV said:

Zingerman's Balsamic Vinegar Sale ends 31 January.

Highly recommended. The day after I received the catalog I called and ordered a 10-year and a 15 16-year. 

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My wife and I visited Zingerman's on our honeymoon and bought enough olive oil and vinegar to stock our pantry for a year or two. That was many moons ago. These days, I usually snag some of the 16 and 30 year during the sale. The 10 year is fantastic, but the 16 is only $5 more and is thicker and more complex. The 30 year is astonishing and is my favorite, but it costs 2.5 times what the 16 costs, so it gets used sparingly.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

These days, I usually snag some of the 16 and 30 year during the sale. The 10 year is fantastic, but the 16 is only $5 more and is thicker and more complex. The 30 year is astonishing and is my favorite, but it costs 2.5 times what the 16 costs, so it gets used sparingly.

Same here. Last year I bought bottles of 16 and 30 and also treated myself to a bottle of the gold label extra vecchio from Modena, which is truly an extravagance but still less than airfare to Italy, which is where I bought my last bottle of that stuff 🙃 That last one is pretty much reserved for strawberries and ice cream!

The Trader Joe's Platinum Aged Balsamic of Modena is not bad for everyday use @ $8.99/8.5 oz.  It's at least aged in wooden barrels for a few years rather than in a vat with wood chips for a few days like a lot of the supermarket stuff. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

My wife and I visited Zingerman's on our honeymoon and bought enough olive oil and vinegar to stock our pantry for a year or two. That was many moons ago. These days, I usually snag some of the 16 and 30 year during the sale. The 10 year is fantastic, but the 16 is only $5 more and is thicker and more complex. The 30 year is astonishing and is my favorite, but it costs 2.5 times what the 16 costs, so it gets used sparingly.

Also same here. I use the 10-year for cooking—most often an IP ragu or sausage w/peppers + onions—and for the occasional post-cooking dressing; the 16-year is for stand-alone drizzling. I also have a 30-year, which is saved for special occasions.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

Ah, the link in your post went directly to Anova, not to Slickdeals. I think that might be the issue I ran into.

The original price of $44 WAS on the Anova site.  I saw multiple other forums pointing out this "unbelieveable" deal and I went to investigate, it was indeed a price of $44 for the nano and the vessel.   I have 4 SV setups already, so, even at $44 I passed on purchasing.   Then, a few minutes later, the forums were saying the $44 price was now gone (some said they got "out of stock" when trying to put in cart), after that the other sale price showed up. 

Not sure if it was a online pricing mistake by Anova, or possibly a unicorn flash sale for the lucky few, but it did exist for a bit.   It was a dynamic situation to say the least. 

I posted the link early before the "out of stock" and pricing change took place.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

The official All Clad factory sales event is on now at Home and Cook Sales. Use code VIPSDMAR0923 to save an additional 15% and get free shipping. Be forewarned that the handling time before items ship is like 10 days or so.

Too bad they don't ship outside of the U.S.A.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

All-Clad is having a 2-day factory seconds "VIP" sale. I haven't scoped it out this time, but all my beloved All-Clad has come from the factory seconds sales and I've always been pleased with my purchase.

All-Clad VIP Factory Event (ends April 9)

15 minutes ago, Smithy said:

All-Clad is having a 2-day factory seconds "VIP" sale. I haven't scoped it out this time, but all my beloved All-Clad has come from the factory seconds sales and I've always been pleased with my purchase.

All-Clad VIP Factory Event (ends April 9)

Those are some great prices!

• 2 weeks later...

All-Clad is having another sale

Mothers Day  3 day.

I should have picked  pan much earlier 

any pan 

and noted the price.

can't imagine the priced have changed much

but who knows