• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

20 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Random find looking at ingredient lists for my recipe of chili crisp.

Not sure if this is a bargain but just ordered from Fly By Jing

I bought some a while back, it's tasty. A bit different from LoGanMa.

Yours looks great. I've got Sichuan chili powder coming to make the Cook's Illustrated version. Any special tricks for your recipe?

I purchased a few different Korean chili flake varieties early January 2019 from HMart. One was a 2 pound package on sale. An abundance I had a lot to play with. 

Quantity is cheap. I purchase bulk spice for that reason. 

Have fun with it without such a precious tiny jar. 

I could not post my recipe being my personal mix with many spices. Not fair to expect one to shop for what I have on hand. 

Best to start with a basic recipe---like SeriousEats, then use it as a base recipe and spice it up for various recipes...

I had a couple tBsp in my last jar a few days ago. I added a splash of toasted sesame oil and a gulp of un-seasoned rice vinegar, tsp of mustard powder---tossed on a batch of potatoes right out of the pot for a killer potato salad. 

RG corona beans an hour ago I added a tBsp.

Tofu has a pack of it after pressing and soaking in soy sauce. Will oven roast with salmon. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 1.27.40 PM.png

• Delicious 2

23 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Random find looking at ingredient lists for my recipe of chili crisp.

Not sure if this is a bargain but just ordered from Fly By Jing

She did get a lot of press recently. Misfits has a jar of FlyByJing chili crisp for 8$ I think. Seems pricy but decided to order to see how it compares to mine---I just made a triple batch last night. 15$ retail seems high for 6 oz but seems like good ingredients. 

Pricing for "upscale" chili crisps seems to be all over the map. We have been buying a local one from someone who does Malaysian food pop-ups — his 8oz jars are $12. But I saw another from a local restaurant for $24! 😳

I make my own chili oil but am always terrified of anything homemade involving garlic in oil. I know it is probably completely safe if the garlic is shaved and fried (and if store-bought peeled garlic is used, as it's acidulated), but I tend towards the paranoid sometimes 😅 

Yours looks amazing, though — might convince me to take the plunge.

10 minutes ago, dtremit said:

I make my own chili oil but am always terrified of anything homemade involving garlic in oil. I know it is probably completely safe if the garlic is shaved and fried (and if store-bought peeled garlic is used, as it's acidulated), but I tend towards the paranoid sometimes 😅 

Big no-no in my kitchen also. Why I make a base 'safe' chili crisp in bulk and use it with add-ins depending. I prefer to crisp shallots and fresh garlic chips for that nights meal. Any leftover I date the container and use within a few days like homemade dressings. 

I'm a two day, maybe three, in any leftovers but are usually planned for a couple meals. Like 'piggy-backing' a wood fired grill. While the effort/heat is going, and the fire, I use the heat efficiently and add a couple meals to the grill/mix. 

DH has no issues with 3-5 days of leftovers for lunches but I cringe at day 4-5. 

My garlic and onion mince are dried and chipped. Like any pantry spice. Not fresh. Still date the containers and use within a month. 

Same reason I don't heat process 'can'. Don't care for the heat that home processing does to veg. (or commercial cans). I prefer freezing. Totally fine with fermentation. 

I think my first batch years ago was a Mark Weins travel video. Restaurants had different variations. I took that lead and made a basic one with Korean chili flake and sesame seeds. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, catdaddy said:

Even if you don't mix the fried garlic and shallot into your chili crisp until you eat it,  mixing in the oil they were fried in is next level.

Oh, totally. A while back I used up a bunch of odds and ends to make an "allium oil" that I double strained and kept in the fridge — useful for all sorts of things.

A jar of the Vietnamese pre-crisped shallots and garlic would be a good mix in on lazy nights.

Edited by dtremit (log)

• 4 weeks later...

If you've been hankering for some All-Clad cookware, now is a good time to check out their factory seconds. This sale ends in just over a day. I've gotten all my beloved All-Clad through sales like this.

In fact, if I could possibly justify it I'd be all over this set of 3 hard-anodized skillets whose only fault is damaged packaging. Perfect shape to my eyes, not so for my DH...and I already have what I need.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

25 minutes ago, Smithy said:

If you've been hankering for some All-Clad cookware, now is a good time to check out their factory seconds. This sale ends in just over a day. I've gotten all my beloved All-Clad through sales like this.

In fact, if I could possibly justify it I'd be all over this set of 3 hard-anodized skillets whose only fault is damaged packaging. Perfect shape to my eyes, not so for my DH...and I already have what I need.

I've also gotten a bunch of All-Clad via that  source.  I haven't been able to detect whatever issues deemed them "seconds"

• Like 1

@rotuts there may be something funky going on with your browser.  Maybe try a different one?  At the top of the screen where I circled in red, you are supposed to see a dropdown where you acknowledge the TOS and enter your email address and then it lets you in the website. 

image.png.ecaf94fdf2fe0e3e28572cf750d9640f.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

New West KnifeWorks is offering a free spatula ($139) with purchase of a chef knife.

https://www.newwestknifeworks.com/collections/featured-this-week

So far I have not been able to convince myself I need another spatula.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

33 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

So far I have not been able to convince myself I need another spatula.

A spatula costing $139 had better be able to get itself out of the utensil jar and over to the stove, lift up my egg without breaking the yolk and place the egg carefully on my plate, find its way to the sink, wash itself thoroughly with soap and water, rinse three times, dry itself and return to the utensil jar all the while singing Amazing Grace a cappella. 

• Haha 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Anna N said:

A spatula costing $139 had better be able to get itself out of the utensil jar and over to the stove, lift up my egg without breaking the yolk and place the egg carefully on my plate, find its way to the sink, wash itself thoroughly with soap and water, rinse three times, dry itself and return to the utensil jar all the while singing Amazing Grace a cappella. 

Free with purchase!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I like that, except for the a cappella part. When spatulas sing, they're usually flat. And shouldn't that be Amazing Grease?

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

https://supermarketitaly.com/

Today and tomorrow, 10% off everything.  Ask me how I know.  I usually place a big order twice a year.  This time I am exploring canned sardines.  I purchased several cans of Pinhais and Matiz.  My favored Paesano olive oil is sold out but I am trying a bottle of Partanna that was on clearance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, palo said:

Or another chef knife either probably

p

Untrue.  Historically New West has a major sale later on this month to coincide with National Knife Day.  Many spatulas I have, but only two chef knives.

15 hours ago, Alex said:

I like that, except for the a cappella part. When spatulas sing, they're usually flat. And shouldn't that be Amazing Grease?

Oh, well done!

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

As mentioned above, the New West National Knife Day sale has started, 20% off most everything.  Now through the end of the month...

https://www.newwestknifeworks.com/collections/featured-specials-this-week

Fear not @Anna N, no spatula was ordered.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

PalouseBrand beans and grains is having their 'stock up for Fall' sale. Free shipping. PALOUSE

I'm out of red wheat berries and lentils and always need garbanzos.

Wheat berries can be ground into flour, sprouted 24hours and into grain breads, or sprouted for wheatgrass. Or just cooked like regular rice/grain. I use wheatgrass in fall soups like roasted garlic, leek, and potato. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 8.44.22 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

• 2 months later...

Thermoworks has their original ThermoPop at $12.60, today only.  Regular price is $21.00. It's a great little thermometer. 

They have introduced a new and improved ThermoPop 2, not on sale, and priced at $35.00.  It's got some nice features but that price is edging out of the cheap & cheerful category for me.

• Like 3