• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

And here it is for scale sitting on a 4 quart dutch. That turquoise dutch is going to the beach home so I don't need to travel with it. This was my lock-down Staub stack. All put away now except for the baby grain. Staub calls it a rice cocotte. 

Holds more than it appears. 4-6 servings of mixed grain. But usually have a 1/3rd or 1/2lb of RG beans going at the same time in another pot. Plenty for a few meals and lunch grain/salad bowls. Almost always end up freezing a half pint or two for soup add-ins or goes in the pups food.

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 1.27.56 AM.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, dtremit said:

Now if only they'd have a similar sale on the glass-lidded braiser...

Not sure what braiser you want but more was added to their sale this morning when I visited to get the link. Most are out of stock already. So much rain the past couple days all up and down the NEast coast. Seems everyone has been on-line shopping. 

3 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Not sure what braiser you want but more was added to their sale this morning when I visited to get the link. Most are out of stock already. So much rain the past couple days all up and down the NEast coast. Seems everyone has been on-line shopping. 

Ah! This one would have been ideal, but alas, I didn't see it yesterday and it's out of stock today.

That said, I suspect I might actually be happier with the Le Creuset for this particular shape of pan, thanks to the light interior. It would get a lot of use with things where seeing the food's color clearly would help.

1 hour ago, dtremit said:

That said, I suspect I might actually be happier with the Le Creuset for this particular shape of pan, thanks to the light interior.

I've come across that occasionally. The same cooks use cast iron.😂. My Creuset wedding gift starter set is garbage. Not used very often...I put in storage for years. The knobs broke and cracked. Who makes and puts a knob on a dutch oven that is rated for under 350ºf. My first apartment had a small gas stove that cycles on and off. Maybe that heat went up and above? 

My braiser is wide and low stainless. Stovetop or oven braising. Cover, low and slow, no added moisture. Just some veg that releases lots of moisture. 

Dual use pots are valuable though. We all cook differently. The only Creuset from that old set I use is the 6inch skillet for toasting seeds and nuts. 

Low heat and can see the color change on the back burner. 

7 hours ago, Annie_H said:

I've come across that occasionally. The same cooks use cast iron.😂. My Creuset wedding gift starter set is garbage. Not used very often...I put in storage for years. The knobs broke and cracked. Who makes and puts a knob on a dutch oven that is rated for under 350ºf. My first apartment had a small gas stove that cycles on and off. Maybe that heat went up and above? 

My braiser is wide and low stainless. Stovetop or oven braising. Cover, low and slow, no added moisture. Just some veg that releases lots of moisture. 

Dual use pots are valuable though. We all cook differently. The only Creuset from that old set I use is the 6inch skillet for toasting seeds and nuts. 

Low heat and can see the color change on the back burner. 

That's odd — I've not had any issues with the knobs on the Le Creuset I have, despite using them in the oven quite a bit. I did proactively replace the knob on one pan with their newer stainless one ($10 then — they've gone way up!) when I started using it for bread baking, but the other pan is going on 20 years old and the phenolic knob is in great shape. They now say the plastic knobs are rated at 500°F but I swear it used to be lower.

I did manage to somehow ruin the finish on one of the dutch ovens after someone burned tomato sauce onto it really badly. I tried just about everything to get that stuff off; it worked in the end but the interior finish is dull and now everything sticks to it. Fortunately that pan is just the right size for bread baking so I have just used it for that of late. One of these days I'll get around to making a warranty claim.

On 5/27/2022 at 5:05 PM, palo said:

But he loves weighing water for rice

p

I do...and I  love taking the temperature of the water when I make my pour overs every morning. 

However, I'm fully loaded on thermometers.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

53 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I do...and I  love taking the temperature of the water when I make my pour overs every morning. 

However, I'm fully loaded on thermometers.

Since I'm quite new to the pour-over method, I purchased this.  It's fast and brings the water to the temperature I choose...plus, I think it's gorgeous.

My morning cup of joe is so much better these days since I starting grinding my own beans.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, lindag said:

Since I'm quite new to the pour-over method, I purchased this.  It's fast and brings the water to the temperature I choose...plus, I think it's gorgeous.

My morning cup of joe is so much better these days since I starting grinding my own beans.

That's lovely - I'm old school, and still bring water up to temp on my range. 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 hours ago, lindag said:

Good design is hard to resist. Just no room for any countertop appliances. Considered it for a while for the far end of the counter run where we prep coffee. But no outlets there. Old school suits me fine. Seldom used far right back burner it lives and pulled to the front left every morning. I did purchase the Breville elec kettle at one point but it hit temp and continued to steam about 30-40 seconds before shutting off with a faint 'ding'...soaking the underside of my upper cabinets. 

I do love the wooden handle offered. 

17 hours ago, dtremit said:

I did manage to somehow ruin the finish on one of the dutch ovens after someone burned tomato sauce onto it really badly. I tried just about everything to get that stuff off; it worked in the end but the interior finish is dull and now everything sticks to it. Fortunately that pan is just the right size for bread baking so I have just used it for that of late. One of these days I'll get around to making a warranty claim.

I looked into the warranty claim at one point. I recall you need to call, get a #, then send at your expense to be evaluated. (SC?). 4-6 weeks they either send a new similar pot, or offer a discount coupon for a new one. Old one does not come back home. I replaced the cracked knob with a Staub knob I had. Found the old cracked knob cleaning out the 'junk' drawer. 

I did recently start using the old 2 quart for RG beans. Perfect for a 1/3'rd or half pound. I have a couple beans soaking so I gave it the 'water to a boil, baking soda, peroxide treatment'. Easy on the glossy enameled surfaces like the sides. Then did the bleach and soap treatment on the dull bottom. Now noticed a new chip on that bottom surface. Lots of chips all over the lot. Might just pass for the warranty because I loath all the steps to get there. Obviously I'll put that shit cracked knob back on if I do that.😂

Staub had the larger grain pot and a smaller dutch on sale. I'd rather go there than jump through hoops for a leCrueset replacement. 

All my enameled cast iron is stacked with kitchen cloths between so not at all that rough with them. 

The small one top back is the one I use for toasting sesame seeds and other seeds/nuts. This starter set is from 1989. Fine for the most part but I don't care for the exposed cast iron top lip. One has some rust stains running down the white interior. I used to wash by hand and run an oiled finger around the top edge---but I seem to have moved on to Staub. 😜

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 12.19.17 PM.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)

I did read a post somewhere about Staub vs LeCreuset and a comment employee of LC suggested removing the knob before oven roasting, 🙄

Oh great-- I need to bring my home ditty tool bag to the kitchen to oven roast. 

But they have solved that now. Higher heat is fine after years of cracked knobs. No internet when mine cracked in the early '90's

I think this goes here.  I made it to a thrift shop today and picked up some bargains.  The Rosso book, Great Good Food  was 57 cents, Best Recipes from Time-Life Books was $1.14, the Sunset Cookbook Classics  was $2.29, the Emeril Every Day's A Party book was 57 cents.  The Olson Cook at Home book was $3.99, but that's okay because I like her.  They are all in good shape.  I'll flip through them, photocopy what I want and donate them back.  The Sunset book was a nostalgia purchase.  I used to have their books years ago but don't have them anymore, except the appetizer one.  Why I kept that one, I have no idea.  But there it sits in my bookshelf in all it's tattered glory.

20220603_193531.jpg

• Like 10

This is for city folk. We have a need in the city for a good 'life in a bag'. Not necessarily a kids 'backpack'. But a good everyday bag that holds a lunch in a foil pack, and random shopping. And everything needed for the day, every day...computer, tablet, etc. Big enough but not too bulky. My Brooklyn Industries messenger bag has been a big love for 5-6 years. Two zippers broken and looks a bit rough. They don't make that model now. 

Randomly checked ManhattanPortage. (I have a small bag from the SoHo store.)

Food related since I take it to markets. Killer price for the quality. For travel it opens flat going through security. A back sleeve fits over our carry-on. (my loved one I have been using flops all over my wheeled carry-on).  

Edited by Annie_H (log)

Ninja Creami for sale on the Ninja Canada site for $199 - not sure if you can add the Summer10 code to get the 10% discount on top of that or not. 

16 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Ninja Creami for sale on the Ninja Canada site for $199 - not sure if you can add the Summer10 code to get the 10% discount on top of that or not. 

I wasn't sure it was worth mentioning but amazon US is offering 10% off on the CREAMi.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Random find looking at ingredient lists for my recipe of chili crisp.

Not sure if this is a bargain but just ordered from Fly By Jing

She did get a lot of press recently. Misfits has a jar of FlyByJing chili crisp for 8$ I think. Seems pricy but decided to order to see how it compares to mine---I just made a triple batch last night. 15$ retail seems high for 6 oz but seems like good ingredients. 

I ordered the big jars with a free spice blend and the 6 pack of dumplings. Free shipping. 

I like to make my own dumplings but to have some in the freezer is stellar for weeknights. Some I ordered during lock-down from other brands a some from HMart were thick and doughy like some Italian American ravioli full of fillers. (prefer to make my own)

My chili crisp...24 ounces. Bulk ingredients I may have spent 10-15$. I do like control of ingredients and make a basic blend, avocado oil, and add extras per recipes. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 7.32.30 PM.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 2