• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

I just leave the cork pour spout in; I guess mine hasn't been wonky. Do you think that affects the vinegar? I imagine you can call Zingerman's and ask.

• Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

Help! @btbyrd, @gfweb and @weinoo.  I bought two Zingerman's Vecchia Dispensa Balsamic Vinegars, aged 16 years and 8 years. We opened the 16 year old tonight. It's might tasty! However, the original cork had to be removed with pliers. As you can see, the accompanying cork pour spout is a wonky thing with feathers and a very poor fit. Moreover, the pour spout has no way to close it.

What should I do?

IMG_2996_cropped.thumb.jpg.948f0e367ef3ac50fbd4d2f20017d4f0.jpg IMG_2994_cropped.thumb.jpg.632a1edeaea769e828ef9c8b2873377a.jpg

You might take a piece of foam and bore a hole to fit the spout.

I'd probably use saran wrap or parafilm to wrap it though.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

this is not a ' sale '

but I thought Id add to this thread

as it involves ThermaWorks

I got the TimeStack , as noted above.

it was time to change the 9 volt battery

I put in a fully recharged rechargeable 9volt.

it flickered on , then changed its mind

I call ThermaWorks.

to make a long story short , they are sending me free of charge

a brand new 9 volt , so I don't have to go out and get one.

if that doesn't do the trick , they will send me a new TimeStack.

talk about fine customer service !

put a smile on my face.

thank you ThermaWorks !

• Like 8

just to complete the battery issue w the TimeStack

from thermoworks :

got the Duracel they sent me yesterday

and the TS is working again.

it seems the rechargeable batteries might not get

to their full voltage  , or something like that.

anyway

Kudos to ThermoWorks for such fine customer service

and if your TimeStack doesn't work w a rechargeable , try a regular 

non-rechargeable battery.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

@rotuts Rechargeables do produce a bit less voltage than a new alkaline battery — most of them are nickel metal hydride (NiMH) which produces 1.2v at full charge. A *new* alkaline will produce 1.5v, and gradually taper off to 1.0v over time.

9V batteries are made up of multiple internal cells in series — which has the effect of multiplying the voltage difference. A 9v alkaline is typically 6x 1.5v cells. 9v NiMH rechargeables can be 6, 7, or 8 cells internally — leading to voltages of 7.2v, 8.4v, or 9.6v. (There are also some lithium ones that are 7.2v — two 3.6v cells internally). 

If you could find one of the 7- or 8-cell NiMH rechargeables it *might* work, but it's probably not worth the effort.

@dtremit  

thanks.   the fellow @ themaWorks thought it was

the rechargeable , as the screen did light up :

it initially light up @ 88888888   across all the fields 

then settles down to 0000  and you reset .

then it went out.   I agree :  the 9 volt that came w the TStack

lasted 13 months.    I have no other devices these days that use 9 volt

so I don't mind buy a 9 volt every year.

very pleased they were so helpful @ ThermaWorks

they also included a new catalog :

Bummer !

Ill be dreaming of this :

https://www.thermoworks.com/Signals

4 channel

which I dont need , as I have this :

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

two channel.

Agreed on Thermoworks being a joy to work with — their shipping fulfillment is also top notch. They almost always have stuff out the door and to the post office in a matter of hours after I hit the order button.

I actually have a new Signals sitting in the box — I accidentally destroyed one of my Pops by leaving it on the grill and somehow used that to justify the bigger model. Overkill for now, but I'm hoping to acquire some smoking apparatuses in the future.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Even if it lasts a year or two...bargain today and tomorrow. $29 vac sealer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H4X4P5C?fbclid=IwAR0AjfwOlJEPi1N1mDMfY_BpJrbS56yuqOuquRTFI6eKsNMDQ2frC8ja7Mc

This company is interesting -- they seem to only sell vacuum sealers, and the ones they have are all very similar to other popular models on the market. They make three models of suction sealers, and most of them are very close in appearance to models from Cabelas, Weston, and Nesco.

They also have a couple of affordable chamber sealers.

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 2

The Instant Pot Ultra 60 6-quart pot (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is on sale today for $69.99 at Amazon. They're listing as the Deal of the Day, so I may be posting in the last few hours of this deal. Still, it's a good price. I have an Ultra and a Duo and I prefer the Ultra.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

15 hours ago, Smithy said:

The Instant Pot Ultra 60 6-quart pot (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is on sale today for $69.99 at Amazon. They're listing as the Deal of the Day, so I may be posting in the last few hours of this deal. Still, it's a good price. I have an Ultra and a Duo and I prefer the Ultra.

It really was a Deal of the Day. Price has gone back up to $139.99.

• Sad 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thermoworks is having a Father's Day promotion right now. It may be limited to current customers (I'm not sure) but I just gt 10% off for some replacement probes and no-touch fever thermometers using this one-time code: 

TW-CAP-T6S2T

Incidentally, their no-touch forehead thermometers are on overstock blowout for $29, down from $69. I wouldn't have listed them here except for the Father's Day promotion, but it's a good deal. The Father's Day promotional code goes until June 20 and applies to the entire order. I resisted buying the timers and sensors I wanted, but got extra probes for my existing equipment because they do tend to break or wear out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Thermoworks is having a Father's Day promotion right now. It may be limited to current customers (I'm not sure) but I just gt 10% off for some replacement probes and no-touch fever thermometers using this one-time code: 

TW-CAP-T6S2T

Incidentally, their no-touch forehead thermometers are on overstock blowout for $29, down from $69. I wouldn't have listed them here except for the Father's Day promotion, but it's a good deal. The Father's Day promotional code goes until June 20 and applies to the entire order. I resisted buying the timers and sensors I wanted, but got extra probes for my existing equipment because they do tend to break or wear out.

I paid $100 for my Wand last year.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

a ' Free ' $ 25 USD from Amazon :

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/today-top-deals-free-25-141831143.html

pls report back if you chose to partake .

really ?   

$ 25  free 

the stock must be ' stuck '

and amazon wants a Big Prime Day.

I recently made a small purchase on Amazon that must have been from a small business. Amazon sent me an email that because I patronized this small business I received a $10 credit to use on the Prime Day Sale. You had to follow their instructions to get the $10 applied to your account but it was quick and painless. I was likely to purchase something on Prime Day anyway. It makes me wonder how many people got similar credits...

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Wild Alaska Company has gotten some play on here - got this email:

Last call! Join today and level up on your summer meal plan with our healthy, sustainably sourced seafood and receive a free pound of Spot Prawns.

Save a total of $50 on your first 2 boxes of Wild Alaskan seafood and we'll include a pound of delicious Spot Prawns in your first box!

But hurry, this offer will be gone tomorrow!

Promo code:

PRAWN50

If this is of interest

p

• Like 1

I did the $25 gift card promo with amazon several years ago successfully.  I logged in today to do some browsing and there was a link on one of the product pages saying that I would get a $25 amazon credit if I added a debit card to my wallet.  I added one and received my credit instantly.  The terms of the deal say that you do need to get presented with the link in order for the promotion to work and that you don't actually need to use the debit card that you added to purchase anything.  Might be worth a check.  The link was right below the price of the item that I was looking at.  I am not a prime member and not sure if that matters.  

image.png.455a72ddfa9247b7e9288e84412c387a.png

• 3 weeks later...