• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

jaw 

this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Im not sure what you mean by 

"  the previous days' cheeses at half off "

cheese , after all , is designed to keep for ' some time '

are these the 12 days of cheese's 

now a Day Old ?

I've never understood the ' allure ' of WF

beratifully stacked Veg ?

Asparagus Water ?

scales for weighing products 

" a bit off standard weights , in favor of WF ? "

I have been there a few time for sure

in the era " Before " i looked at their Bangers 

" Irish "  and terrible

I saw a fish counter w about 6 - 8 or more slabs of fresh salmon

verious rubs on them

no way in the world they would sell 1/2 of that / day

and some looking a bit old ' on the Eye '

anyway

if it works for you

excellent.

consider avoiding Amazon's ' hardware '

Ive heard they have Amazon kiosks for that stuff.

third rate on a good day

not to worry 

F.D.:   I do have a few AMZN shares 

not many   I ve got more fingers and toes at the moment 

so , please , ' help your self '

or gift them to someone you don't really like

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, rotuts said:

jaw 

this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Im not sure what you mean by 

"  the previous days' cheeses at half off "

cheese , after all , is designed to keep for ' some time '

are these the 12 days of cheese's 

now a Day Old ?

I've never understood the ' allure ' of WF...

i can't tell if you're joking or not. giving the benefit of the doubt, the 12 days of cheese sale says:

*Valid 12/12 – 12/23/20. Only valid for the cheese specified for the day.

i'm saying that this year they're doing something different. they'll honor sale for all of the previous days' cheeses, but you have to ask them to slap a special PLU sticker on there.

i'm just talking about

cheese on sale, but

thanks for the

"lesson" i guess 🙄

Edited by jaw (log)
  • Like 1

@jaw 

thank you !

that makes perfect 

and good business sense

asparagus water ?   no joke

Amazon ' inter-net ' hardware ?  no joke

JB  ( speed dial # 2 ) developed a " phone "

at considerable expense 

that had to clear their inventory and tried to sell them for $ 1.00 USD

had a few left Im told

by the WSJ

1 hour ago, jaw said:

two whole foods in my area will sell the previous days' cheeses at half off. you have to ask them to stick a special sticker on them though.

i went today and got several different ones on sale.

edit: i mean that today in particular, you can get any of the '12 days of cheese' cheeses at half off.

On amazon I still saw Humboldt Fog on sale but no Rogue Creamery Organic Enraptured Blanc which was supposed to have been today's.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

On amazon I still saw Humboldt Fog on sale but no Rogue Creamery Organic Enraptured Blanc which was supposed to have been today's.

I went over and picked up a piece of the Enraptured Blanc this morning around 8 AM. They didn't have a ton of it in the case where they've been displaying these specials.  Three 1 lb wheels and about an equivalent weight in cut wedges. I chose a half wheel, about 1/2 lb and skedaddled.

• Like 1

From Penzey's :

This is the “Get a Whole Lot of Spice for Not Much Money” offer we wish we could have run before the 25th, but this year just couldn’t. With COVID pushing so many more people looking to have orders shipped this year vs last there was no way we could have kept up with shipping if we had made an offer like this one earlier. Sorry. I really like offers that open up the opportunity for us to have customers from all possible income brackets and was committed to doing this as soon as possible after Christmas and now here we are.

No codes needed for any of these offers. Regular shipping is automatically free with $25 in spending rather than the usual $40. Once you have $5 in spending, your most expensive half-cup jar up to $10.95 in value will become no charge. And for each and every gift box $29.95 or above that you get yourself or have shipped directly to someone else a $21.95 value Mini Kind gift box will be included as well

https://www.penzeys.com

• Like 2

On 12/26/2020 at 2:43 AM, rotuts said:

From Penzey's :

This is the “Get a Whole Lot of Spice for Not Much Money” offer we wish we could have run before the 25th, but this year just couldn’t. With COVID pushing so many more people looking to have orders shipped this year vs last there was no way we could have kept up with shipping if we had made an offer like this one earlier. Sorry. I really like offers that open up the opportunity for us to have customers from all possible income brackets and was committed to doing this as soon as possible after Christmas and now here we are.

No codes needed for any of these offers. Regular shipping is automatically free with $25 in spending rather than the usual $40. Once you have $5 in spending, your most expensive half-cup jar up to $10.95 in value will become no charge. And for each and every gift box $29.95 or above that you get yourself or have shipped directly to someone else a $21.95 value Mini Kind gift box will be included as well

@rotuts, just went on the Penzey's website. Is this sale over / done already? I see the free shipping at $25 (instead of $40), but I don't see any other discounts.

7 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

@rotuts, just went on the Penzey's website. Is this sale over / done already? I see the free shipping at $25 (instead of $40), but I don't see any other discounts.

@MokaPot — still there, through tomorrow. I can't figure out how to link to the details, but if you look at the right side of the screen there's a round purple button that says "Offers" with the info.

If you add a gift box to your cart, the free "Mini Kind Heart" box is added automatically for $0.

And if you add a half cup jar to your cart it'll be added as a "coupon item" for $0 as well.

• Thanks 2

this was this AM's email :

Last Day: “Get a Whole Lot of Spice for Not Much Money” offer. Your choice half-cup spice or seasoning up to $10.95 value with any $5 purchase. Spend $25 get free shipping (instead of the usual $40). Plus for every $29.95 and up Gift Box sold we will include a free $21.95 value Kind Heart gift box.

I wish we could have made this offer in the lead-up to the holidays but it just wasn’t in the cards. I really do find happiness when our offers open the doors to Penzeys to all regardless of income. With COVID already driving so many more customers to order online than last year we had no real choice other than to scale back the offers we made this season. For months I’ve been wanting to do a free spice/reduced shipping offer and this has been our very first chance to do it. Now this offer is ending today. Don’t miss out.

No codes needed for any of these offers. Regular shipping is automatically free with $25 in spending rather than the usual $40. Once you have $5 in spending, your most expensive half-cup jar up to $10.95 in value will become free.

Plus for each and every gift box $29.95 or above that you get yourself or have shipped directly to someone else, through midnight a $21.95 value Mini Kind gift box will be included as well. As we work to welcome back those on the right from the cruelty that has taken hold of their politics, the value of kindness is something we all must celebrate. And If you are sending a gift box directly to separate addresses our online ordering system says we must allow you to throw in a favorite up to $10.95 half-cup jar as well for free. I find it easier to trust that it knows best.

Yesterday’s most popular $29.95 and above gift boxes were: Welcome Spice box, 5-Jar Choose Love, Herb 8 Jar, International Salt Free 4 Jar and Welcome Seasonings box. Each is good.

And as we suspected, the combination of a free half-cup jar with $5 spending and free shipping with just $25 in spending rather than the usual $40 is bringing in orders lots faster than we can ship them. You do have until midnight to take us up on these good deals, but there’s lots to be said for visiting penzeys.com this morning to place your order and getting your spices 2-3 days sooner. 

so today is indeed that last day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, guys. I was able to place my Penzeys order & get a free jar of Spanish smoked paprika. Also ordered some (a lot, actually) Turkish bay leaves. Who knew there was a difference between the Turkish & the California bay leaves. Turkish is supposed to be better.

I want to get into soup-making. So, hopefully, these ingredients will help.

@MokaPot 

Good !  very good.

I li ved in Spain growing up

my parents were teachers

and taught there for their sabaticals

Smoked Paprika

is elemental to a lot of Spanish cooking

I put a pinch of Penzey's   SMP

into soups etc

and it does remind me os SPAIN. 

• Like 1

Penzeys' sale is still going on.  I just wish I needed something from them.  There are things I'm needing from The Spice House and from Spice Trekkers, but nothing at the moment from Penzeys.  I like Penzeys but their selection is limited.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

new from Penzey's

There’s been so much so different about this past year and its holiday season. We are all so far from normal. We’ve all missed out on so much. Still, there is so much goodness in this time as well. In our life I can’t help but feel the desire for normal has led us to treasure the time spent in the kitchen far more than maybe ever before. In this time of uncertainty and forced distancing the “normal” found in our kitchen seems to be everything.

Cooking connects us to so many moments throughout our lives of the kindness of people caring about us and to our own caring for others as well. It’s great when this caring can happen in person, but even when life separates us by miles or even decades that kindness is right there to touch every time we cook. Cooking matters. This year please do what you can to share the value of cooking with those in your life. To help, we’ve started the year with some great deals.

Every sixth item free, now for everyone. We made this offer for store touchless pickup a couple times this holiday season to take pressure off the package shipping side of the business. I promised to repeat this for mail order customers as well at the first chance. So here you go. For everybody through Thursday, order six items over $1 and the lowest-priced of the six will be free. Order twelve and the two lowest will be free, etc.

$1 Spices and Seasonings. Start the year with great savings. Regularly $3.29 Natural Cocoa, $4.29 Cajun Seasoning, $4.49 Regular Chili Powder, and $4.69 Sandwich Sprinkle right now are only $1. Each is awesome in its own right. And if you are anything like the average American you are going to eat a whole lot of sandwiches this year. If any fall short of truly tasty it’s great to have Sandwich Sprinkle within reach.

Gift Box Deals! With so much more pressure this holiday season on those who work to deliver packages, we pushed the idea of this year extending the holidays through orthodox Christmas which is January 7th. If there’s someone you know of that you would still like to get an extra gift to, our offer of $4-$8 off all our gift boxes makes this a little easier. Our gifts open the door to the kindness of tasty times spent around the dinner table. Here’s one last chance to spread the spirit of the holidays. These are good gifts.

Through Monday a free Hug Coin with any purchase. With such great hope in the new vaccines, now is the time to redouble our efforts to keep safe distancing. Still, that distance comes with real costs. The Hug Coin gives a hug you can touch and carry with you as a reminder that the distances between us right now are the proof of a caring world.

• Like 3

This (from Penzeys) is a huge amount of Turkish bay leaves for not that much money. I can't understand why they're (bay leaves are) so expensive at the grocery store. My smoked Spanish paprika smells so darn good. Can't wait to use it.

IMG_0809.thumb.jpeg.8f5acc68dda2f3cb49d7f95c5c68ac24.jpeg

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

This (from Penzeys) is a huge amount of Turkish bay leaves for not that much money. I can't understand why they're (bay leaves are) so expensive at the grocery store. My smoked Spanish paprika smells so darn good. Can't wait to use it.

IMG_0809.thumb.jpeg.8f5acc68dda2f3cb49d7f95c5c68ac24.jpeg

Got that pack of Turkish Bay early last year, still working through it. 1) The leaves are huge compared to grocery store brands. 2) They’re vastly more aromatic and flavorful than grocery store brands. Enjoy! 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, dtremit said:

@palo I think that's actually about the median Amazon price for the skillet — it bounces around a lot, but it's usually somewhere between $12-16.

My CamelCamelCamel app says this is a great price for Amazon. It's the lowest than it has been for awhile, but at times it even dropped to under $10 US for a bit. Considering the highest price on Amazon was the mid-$20's, this price is comparatively good.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Penzey's has another sale , good through tomorrow :

And $30+ worth of goodness for just one dollar if you can do touchless pickup in one of our stores. Shipped to you it’s the same offer, but shipping charges apply. No codes needed for any of this. Just have some spending and the so timely Kind Heart Pins and BLM stickers add automatically. Add a half-cup jar to your basket and your highest-priced half-cup jar up to $10.95 in value will be no charge.

For the best value, buy one of the $1 quarter-cup jars on special. We started with the awesome and timely Justice Seasoning for $1, but a few stores are running low so we needed to add a second option if you were to be assured of getting all this goodness for just $1. I was very happy when Salsa & Pico was a possibility.

Just Monday I did indeed bring a smile to our 17-year-old daughter’s face with quickly thrown together guacamole that was just 2 tsp. Salsa & Pico, a couple tsp. of water and three small avocados mashed up. With her first taste I said oftentimes in restaurants they add salt if she felt it needed it. She said it was perfect just the way it was and smiled. In my head I did a happy dance.

its a little complicated to understand. 

Salsa&Pico  1/4 cup jars , $ 1  , limit 5

Justice  1/4 cup jars , also $ 1   , limit 5

and 

Add a half-cup jar to your basket and your highest-priced half-cup jar up to $10.95 in value will be no charge.

no charge for touchespick up if you live near a store

regular shipping charges otherwise. 

• Like 3