• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

@TdeV 

please do not ignore paperbacks 

in good or better condition 

a long long time ago

I decided to get a '' few '' books on

BBQ

\I got them from AbeBooks

which might now do their dealings 

through Amazon

I got about 12 or a few more

for not so much.

I read them and learned a lot.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Yes, very few cookbooks actually tell you how they measure their flour. Therefore I always use 4.25 oz, 120g – but I usually have no idea what the cookbook writer intended.

How do you decide how much to add?

That's right about where I fall...

Here's a handy chart from King Arthur...https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/learn/ingredient-weight-chart

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Whole Food’s 12 days of cheese starts today!

Ad copy from Whole Foods follows...
Yes, once again, from December 12 to December 23, Whole Foods shoppers will have the chance to save 50 percent on a different high-quality cheese selected by the brand’s buyers each day—with “many” of these fine products exclusive to Whole Foods Market. And if you’re a Prime member, you’ll receive an additional 10 percent off.

Whole Foods 12 Days of Cheese
  • Dec: 12: Klare Melk Truffle Gouda
    “Rich, flavorful, semifirm cheese. Velvety notes of sweet cream and butter, generously laced with earthy truffles. Exclusive to Whole Foods Market.”
  • Dec. 13: Uplands Cheese Company Pleasant Ridge Reserve
    “A seasonally produced cow’s milk Alpine-style cheese modeled after favorites like Le Gruyère and Beaufort. Flavors range from milky to nutty and grassy. The only cheese in the history of the American Cheese Society’s annual competition to win the top prize — ‘Best in Show’ — three times.”
  • Dec. 14: Mitica Cordobes
    “Made with Castellana and Merino sheep milk from Spain. Rich and buttery flavors balanced by bright acidity and nutty undertones. Exclusive to Whole Foods Market.”
  • Dec. 15: Cowgirl Creamery Organic Hop Along
    “Rich, bright notes of buttered toast with a lasting savory finish. Washed in local cider and aged for 45 days, producing yeasty and sweet aromas with a silky, fudgy texture.”
  • Dec. 16: Caseificio dell'Alta Langa La Tur
    “Soft-ripened perfection from a balanced mixture of cow, sheep and goat milk. Sweetness of fresh, grassy cream and bright butter notes with a rich, acidic and yeasty finish.”
  • Dec. 17: Sweet Grass Dairy Thomasville Tomme
    “Semifirm raw cow’s milk cheese that’s made entirely by hand. Rich and earthy with a finish of light salt, fresh grass and tangy cream.”
  • Dec. 18: MonS Gabietou
    “Decadent blend of sheep and cow’s milks, washed with water and rock salt from local warm springs. Dense flavor with rich tones of fruit and balanced earthy mushroom.”
  • Dec. 19: The Cellars at Jasper Hill Farm Harbison, Prosecco Washed
    “Soft-ripened, buttery, woodsy and sweet with balanced tones of mustard. A wash in Presto Prosecco brings out bright citrus favors. Exclusive to Whole Foods Market.”
  • Dec. 20: Emmi Kaltbach Cave-Aged Le Gruyère
    “Raw, grass-fed cow’s milk cheese with rich minerality from aging in Kaltbach’s sandstone caves. Classic nuttiness with tangy fruit notes. Smooth texture with pronounced crystal crunch.”
  • Dec. 21: Cypress Grove Humboldt Fog
    “A true American Original conceived in a dream—a goat’s milk soft-ripened goat cheese with a beautiful ribbon of edible ash through the center. Floral, herbaceous overtones, buttermilk, fresh cream flavors.”
  • Dec. 22: Neal’s Yard Dairy Sparkenhoe Red Leicester
    “Complex and balanced with bright acidity and lasting savory notes. From the only producer making traditional, farmstead Red Leicester with raw milk from heritage cows.”
  • Dec. 23: Rogue Creamery Organic Enraptured Blanc
    “Young organic blue washed in white wine. Tangy with bright fruit notes and a soft, buttery texture. Exclusive to Whole Foods Market.”
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, curls said:

Actually went today and they had plenty. Went to the market around 12:30 / 1 pm.

Good to hear!  I got burned by no stock by 10am in the past on the cheese special.  Maybe they learned their lesson.  It was one of the Cowgirl cheeses that I wanted that was sold out very early, IIRC.

Heads Up.

I don't know how accurate this is, but, I recommended the CSO to a Facebook friend who lives in South Dakota.   

She was having problems finding one so she called Cuisinart and was told that they were discontinuing

the steam oven.   

Thankfully I still have one in a box.  But for anyone thinking that they might want to have a backup, you might want to

do it sooner rather than later. 

It is currently on sale at Costco Canada for $198.00

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Another day, another cheese at Whole Foods for their 12 days of cheese. Stopped by the store around 8pm and there was plenty of the cheese of the day available. I rather liked this one. In the picture you can see that they had two sealed wheels of the day's cheese and a few packages of already portioned cheese. Has anyone else been shopping the sale? What is availability like in your area? I'm wondering if the pandemic is making it easier to obtain since others have reported problems in previous years.

209444885_12daysofcheese2020-14December.thumb.jpg.56a74b8a4780e8d35750e91dc0f92799.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, curls said:

Has anyone else been shopping the sale? What is availability like in your area? I'm wondering if the pandemic is making it easier to obtain since others have reported problems in previous years.

I put the cheeses I'm interested in on my calendar and today's Cowgirl Creamery Hop Along is the first one I marked.  I also see that they are opening at 7 AM (they used to open at 8 AM here) so I will pop over shortly and report back.

Edited to add that at 8AM, they had a fair number of pre-cut pieces and 2 wheels in this small “specials” case.
7D41B304-045D-4D63-8573-ABAECE5AD4B1.thumb.jpeg.dcb324da1f9cb0a34c2b9b0a5bb0a0cd.jpeg

There were more wheels and cut pieces back with the rest of the cheese. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
To add photo (log)
  • Like 5

I ordered from Whole Foods yesterday, but unlike last year I saw no promotion of the 12 days of cheese.  They probably would have sent the wrong cheese anyhow.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, curls said:

Has anyone else been shopping the sale? What is availability like in your area? I'm wondering if the pandemic is making it easier to obtain since others have reported problems in previous years.

I emerged from my house for the first time in a while and made a cheese run for today's Cowgirl Creamery Hop Along.  The store was pretty bustling when I was there around lunchtime, but it was people shopping for normal grocery-type stuff.  No customers at the cheese counter and plenty of today's cheese (and everything else) available.  This was in Phoenix where we have minimal/no restrictions on businesses and people aren't known for their love of fine cheeses.  

• Like 4

I think this qualifies as a deal if someone doesn't have a blender.  Everything Kitchens has a promo code BLENDTEC15 for 15% off Blendtec home blender models.  In addition they have a limited offer to include a free* Twister jar with purchase.  Shipping is free.

*although looking at my invoice the Twister jar shows as $129.95, while the credit for it is $110.45.

If you're a subscriber to ChefSteps' StudioPass, for the next week you can get a 15% discount off the ControlFreak induction cooker (saving $225) until December 23, 2020. Very accurate cooking temperatures FTW.

I use mine daily, highly recommended!

On 12/15/2020 at 9:54 AM, blue_dolphin said:

I put the cheeses I'm interested in on my calendar and today's Cowgirl Creamery Hop Along is the first one I marked.  I also see that they are opening at 7 AM (they used to open at 8 AM here) so I will pop over shortly and report back.

Edited to add that at 8AM, they had a fair number of pre-cut pieces and 2 wheels in this small “specials” case.
7D41B304-045D-4D63-8573-ABAECE5AD4B1.thumb.jpeg.dcb324da1f9cb0a34c2b9b0a5bb0a0cd.jpeg

There were more wheels and cut pieces back with the rest of the cheese. 

I scored Humboldt Fog this morning!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I scored Humboldt Fog this morning!

Me, too. One of my favorites. 
I got 2 of the Prosecco-washed Harbison on Saturday. 
I like Red Leicester (tomorrow) and the Rogue Enraptured Blanc (Wed) sounds good but not sure they are worth 2 more trips. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Me, too. One of my favorites. 
I got 2 of the Prosecco-washed Harbison on Saturday. 
I like Red Leicester (tomorrow) and the Rogue Enraptured Blanc (Wed) sounds good but not sure they are worth 2 more trips. 

Do you have amazon prime now in your area?

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have Amazon Prime. Looks like that makes me eligible for free delivery of $35 minimum orders from WF. That would be a bigger piece of cheese than I had in mind. 

You could get some crackers too.

• Haha 2

two whole foods in my area will sell the previous days' cheeses at half off. you have to ask them to stick a special sticker on them though.

i went today and got several different ones on sale.

edit: i mean that today in particular, you can get any of the '12 days of cheese' cheeses at half off.

Edited by jaw (log)
  • Like 1