• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 8:36 AM, Alex said:

Today only at Woot -- Blendtec Classic 575 blender (black unit only), new, full warranty, for $189.99 + $6 shipping (free for Amazon Prime) + tax.

Same thing today.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Anova's website for the first time in what seems like forever.  I had the intention to take a look at the new oven since I've been waiting like 3-4 years for it.  When I got there, a popup appeared for the precision cooker pro.  It's currently half off - reg $399 on sale for $199.  I may pull the trigger on the immersion circulator and come back to the oven another day.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was in my local Walmart for the first time in a while, and found Medjool dates on an end cap marked down to $2/lb. So I bought two, and then today went back and got five more. That should do us for the holidays, I think.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yesterday I threw out a bag of Medjool dates.  Food is no bargain if it's not something you are going to eat.

Well, we've already gotten through the first pound so...not too concerned about that.

In a worst-case scenario, if I felt the urge to use them up in something, I'd incorporate them into something baked or some homemade "power bars" for my mom. We go through several pounds of dates in the run of a year, though, so this isn't a stretch at all. Heck, I'm still debating whether to go back for more.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

13 hours ago, chromedome said:

Was in my local Walmart for the first time in a while, and found Medjool dates on an end cap marked down to $2/lb. So I bought two, and then today went back and got five more. That should do us for the holidays, I think.

I wish I could find some out here in East Texas for a reasonable price.  I remember buying them when I lived in Tucson.  They were really good when I was hiking and camping a lot but, they also were good for all sorts of baked goods and desert themed items.  Mmm ...

We usually reserve the Medjool and Deglet Noor dates for eating out of hand, and use the inexpensive supermarket kind for baking. My mother was a fan of date squares (minor national difference in nomenclature...what Americans call bar cookies, Canadians call "squares") so the process of chopping up one of those compressed blocks of dates is a minor exercise in nostalgia for me.

• Like 3

I don't know if it's any good but the All-Clad immersion circulator is on sale at Sierra.com for $99.

https://www.sierra.com/all-clad-sous-vide-immersion-circulator~p~19xux/

ETA: Just checked the Amazon reviews and they are mediocre. And Serious Eats had some reservations as well. Buyer beware.

Edited by chord (log)
  • Like 1

The hard-backed copy of Lettuce in Your Kitchen (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), by Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby, is unexpectedly and inexplicably selling for $5.92. Don't ask me why, or for how long. I'm liking this book, although I ran across a question that I'm posting about in another topic this evening.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

The hard-backed copy of Lettuce in Your Kitchen (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), by Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby, is unexpectedly and inexplicably selling for $5.92. Don't ask me why, or for how long. I'm liking this book, although I ran across a question that I'm posting about in another topic this evening.

For me the $5.92 amazon price is for a used copy.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Now that you mention it, that's what I see too. I guess I was too hypnotized by the 'You bought this book on xx/xx/xx" flag. :) 

• Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

Now that you mention it, that's what I see too. I guess I was too hypnotized by the 'You bought this book on xx/xx/xx" flag. :) 

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

worth it used if in good condition.

I buy many books in "used" condition. Often, they are barely used at all. I think it's a great way to a acquire a book you might not be so sure about.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

I buy many books in "used" condition. Often, they are barely used at all. I think it's a great way to a acquire a book you might not be so sure about.

I bought lots of used text books in college, saved lots of money.  the markings in them told you a lot about the prior owners.  Most had random highlighting and underlining, some had interesting marginalia.   One, I was sure had never been used, until I got to chapter five, where nearly every single word was highlighted, as words, with gaps in the highlighting between them.  Just the one chapter, which was on legislative process or something.  

Similarly, I mark up my cookbooks.  Notes about "needs more parsley" or "leave out the parsnips", or cooking instructions, or scaling. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dscheidt said:

Similarly, I mark up my cookbooks.  Notes about "needs more parsley" or "leave out the parsnips", or cooking instructions, or scaling. 

I inherited my grandmother's main cookbook, a wartime edition of The American Woman's Cookbook, which is similarly annotated. I pull it out every now and again just to leaf through it and read her comments.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dscheidt said:

I have marked up many cookbooks over the years; lately, it's my ice cream books so I can make 1/2 or 66.6% of the recipe.

Oh, it would be so nice if all cookbooks gave measures in metric. (And if there was a standardized weight of flours by the cup).

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 12/9/2020 at 6:02 AM, weinoo said:

Agreed, and I actually like it if the previous owner has made some notes. That way you can either appreciate their modifications or realize why they got rid of the book in the first place.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 7:56 AM, weinoo said:

And if there was a standardized weight of flours by the cup

Yes, very few cookbooks actually tell you how they measure their flour. Therefore I always use 4.25 oz, 120g – but I usually have no idea what the cookbook writer intended.

How do you decide how much to add?

• Like 2