• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

@jaw 

call them    they are very nice people

the sale may have ended .

just ask them when their next sale is.   

i think in the current economic climate  they may have them more frequently

heritage my be a ham from a different porcine stock.

On 4/18/2020 at 10:54 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

With regard to Staub:  Le Creuset allows use of their cauldrons on glass top stoves.  Staub apparently does not.

This is from the FAQ on the Staub UK site:

Can Staub products also be used on glass ceramic stovetops?

• Yes. Staub products can be used on all oven types including induction. Products with a black matte exterior are coated on the underside with blue enamel which protects your sensitive stovetops.

[https://www.staub-online.com/uk/en/pages/faq_castiron.html]

• Like 1

I noticed More Than Gourmet is offering 20% off all their products.  Free shipping kicks in for orders over $50.

I see two codes on their site.  SPRING20 good May 8-12 that says it is good for all their products and PANTRY20 good thru May 31. 

Their stocks have been recommended a number of times here on eG and I find them quite handy to keep around.  The listed sodium levels are lower than in Better than Boullion or Minors soup bases. 

• Like 2

I was all excited because I thought I saw flank steak on the cover of the Sobey's flyer. Turned out to just be tenderloin.

Bummer.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

Had the following email from Darto today. It's in Spanish, but Google Translate does a handy job on it.

"This Monday, May 25, starting at 10 in the morning, we are going to put on sale a litter of second-selection products that include varied quantities of all our models of pans and paellas.

Second choice means that it has marks or scratches or small deformation that do not make the product function and are only aesthetic details.  

We will sell only through our website and with the option of home delivery. Due to the current situation, it will not be possible to withdraw through the premises.

The products will be published at half price starting at 10 in the morning of this Monday, May 25, and they will be delivered from July 15. They are several units and the packaging and shipping take a long time and even more in these circumstances that we are all experiencing.  

Most of the products will surely be delivered before the 15th of July except for the orders that include models of frying pan or paella n.27. The boxes of those models are being manufactured."

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

They've done this before - first they have a seconds sale for people in their country - then they run a second one in English for the rest of the world. 

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

They've done this before - first they have a seconds sale for people in their country - then they run a second one in English for the rest of the world. 

Ah, good to know. I was wondering if this was Argentina-only. I have a sauté n.25 on order, but the eG enthusiasm for more Dartos is infectious. Has anyone here bought from a “second choice” sale? I’m curious what level of aesthetic imperfection we’re talking about. 

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

On sale today for $1.99 at Amazon is The Tassajara Bread Book by Edward Espe Brown.  

Now that's a blast from the past. You mean the Kindle edition, correct?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

Now that's a blast from the past. You mean the Kindle edition, correct?

Yes.  I'll amend my post.  It looks like an interesting book.

• 1 month later...

well

my USA Taxes are done;

#)RY#(RY(  Q#ORY{#)RY#{RY){@#Y  Q#ORY#{)RUY$RU_#$UT
U@$)}#U@R)}@$#@#TU

so taking a page from the LunchLadies , N of the Border

and , for me , on sale 

some  "  Click-Return "  retail therapy 

Thermaworks has great stuff 

I went to ThermaWorks 

https://www.thermoworks.com

on sale , but that sale might have changed ;

these two items , 

I love timers , and for the longest time , i thought I might enjoy

one of those Laser Temp thing-ies

but although i know a lot about emissivity 

I have no interest in fitddling around with it 

I do not need the exact temp of anything 

my wood stove  is ( Hot Hot Hot ) etc

good enough

so I got these two :

https://www.thermoworks.com/TimeStack

and

https://www.thermoworks.com/IR-Pocket-20

the timer was larger than I though 

no big deal , I like it

as i might be challenged doing two timings at time these days .........

but I went for it :

428666054_TH1.jpg.cfb0ef091362af580dcc798b9f2ad106.jpg

and

58406279_TH2.jpg.9170481c42e088d4038e36db93e0fe46.jpg

I like the idea that it seems easy to  operate 

I did one timing w no sweat !  

[ ed. :   82 F  85 % humidity ]

it had this very cool ( i wish i wee so cool  ) thing were you pull a tab from the back battery  area

and you are set to go.  No more fuss .

the instructions , middle pic

are laminated , and will go in the drawer directly below the pic !

money-mouth.gif.411e0651dabe72cb919cb533b6b0efa8.gif

the IR :  it came w two connectors :  a cloth one , your could carry it around on your neck

and a SS connection , and a keyring thing

both well made if you wanted  in you pocket 

say , to check them Temps at , @  TJ.s

its small , and i need my reading gaffas  to see it

but it looks like a great deal of fun !

these days ,

well there it is

did i mention that Red is Best ?

and the 4 channel timer has two serious magnets on the back

and is now on my refrigerator ?  its not going to fall off

nice

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7

On 7/12/2020 at 10:47 AM, rotuts said:

428666054_TH1.jpg.cfb0ef091362af580dcc798b9f2ad106.jpg

I bought one a few years ago for my ren faire kitchens since timing multiple things was the norm. I use their Big and Loud Chef's Timer in my kitchen, a blessing since I have a hearing deficit.

A couple of months ago I said to myself, "self, COVID 19 has closed the faires your wife and daughter still do. Why not put your TimeStack in your kitchen?"  So I did. I used it for about 6 weeks. I normally sets timers going in my kitchen, and sit in my family room (flows from the kitchen) and do other things while waiting for it to go off. It's not REALLY loud like the Big and Loud so I took it back out.

When we were using the TimerStack in my ren faires kitchens, other people would alert me when it was beeping. We each tended to use a different timer so they knew when it was mine beeping.

I hope you get good use out of yours. I'm a serious fan of Thermoworks.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

apparently you can record what ever you want for each timer

you can set the volume.   Im not hard of hearing , and the kitchen is not far away.

Im trying to figure out how to lower the volume and the beeping number.

one very nice thing , it remembers the time set / channel 

so if you use that time interval over and over , all you do is start that channel.

Im e joying it.    and Im pleased the magnets are so strong its not coming off the refrigerator.

Im pleased w the purchase ,esp when on sale !!

• Like 3

a P.S. :

it has no WiFi  , nor Bluetooth !

suprise.gif.84555f6b0e2488afeac16a32cd4a6dcf.gif

money-mouth.gif.c0aac802af6aa4c0281d95be180d30ee.gif

does not send any info to FB !

if I yell in the kitchen  , I don't get stuff shipped from 

Amazon !

wow 

Nice !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 1 month later...

Today only at Woot -- Blendtec Classic 575 blender (black unit only), new, full warranty, for $189.99 + $6 shipping (free for Amazon Prime) + tax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer