• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

Did anyone see this crazy price on the 4-Qt. Staub cocotte? From all vendors - wondering if they're discontinuing this size?

Staub 4 Qt.

Of course, I needed one. Now all I have to do is find room.

They have run that price the last 2 holiday seasons.   In red, black and a turquoise they

call “mint.”    I think it’s a gateway cocotte, designed to get you hooked.

it is also a super deal.   Every time they post it I am tempted to buy another.

Edited by Dr. Teeth (log)

11 hours ago, weinoo said:

Did anyone see this crazy price on the 4-Qt. Staub cocotte? From all vendors - wondering if they're discontinuing this size?

Staub 4 Qt.

well fuck it. I got that and the 5.5 in turquoise. My Lodge ones leave a LOT to be desired and they will be seconded to my parents' house

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, weinoo said:

Staub 4 Qt.

It's a gateway drug!  Buyer beware!

Seriously, the Staub 4qt round Dutch Ovens are a real teaser to get you into the Staub family.  I prefer them to LC personally which is where I started with Enameled Cast Iron.

• Like 1

I got both the 4 and the 5.5. I've done a lot of research on Staub vs LC over the years and the general conclusion seems to be "Staub is for people who cook, LC is for people who display".

I've only ever use Lodge enameled, and the searing surface is pretty small, and the enamel chips over time. Hoping for a nice step up

16 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

I got both the 4 and the 5.5. I've done a lot of research on Staub vs LC over the years and the general conclusion seems to be "Staub is for people who cook, LC is for people who display".

I've only ever use Lodge enameled, and the searing surface is pretty small, and the enamel chips over time. Hoping for a nice step up

But then I'd have to replace all of my Le Creuset.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

I'd bet the Le Creuset from 40 years ago is better than the Le Creuset made today. Just guessing.

My  first Le Creuset (5-½ qt.) that I bought maybe 40 years ago did not have enamel on the outside bottom, unlike all my other pieces bought since then.  It is the most discolored and is now the vessel I use when I make No-Knead.

My newest pieces have a light sand colored interior and seem to resist stains better.  The older pieces have a more white interior.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jacksoup said:

@weinoo  It has certainly held up.  Some chips in the enamel rim because some people no longer in my life thought it was ok to use a metal utensil. The interior is no longer a pristine cream color but that is my fault.

I use metal utensils regularly while cooking in Le Creuset, please don’t unfriend me 😃.   Here is my LC Christmas tree!

2C40C2DF-9168-4C8A-897B-67DCB7B88BDC.thumb.jpeg.35960b65b42e39ec29f92d8c5dc89c07.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Costco online also has a Staub special going.  There's 2 kinds of griddle items and at least 1 coquette there.  Similar prices to the other sales.

I bought our favorite St. Michel galettes online at Costco instead of pots and pans though..........

4 hours ago, chefmd said:

I use metal utensils regularly while cooking in Le Creuset, please don’t unfriend me 😃.   Here is my LC Christmas tree!

2C40C2DF-9168-4C8A-897B-67DCB7B88BDC.thumb.jpeg.35960b65b42e39ec29f92d8c5dc89c07.jpeg

Red and green!  I don't feel so bad.

My older pieces are circa 1980.  My newest piece arrived this week.  And I have another from the sale still coming.

Edit:  Oh, I forgot, you've seen mine.  Or at least a few.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Maybe Staub doesn't currently manufacture cauldrons?

Weinoo already suggested that the 4 qt might be discontinued but as far as I know the restriction not to use on glass top stoves is for all sizes.

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

With regard to Staub:  Le Creuset allows use of their cauldrons on glass top stoves.  Staub apparently does not.

I'm sure it's less about the cookware than the cooktop. Glass cooktops are easily marred if the underside of the pot is ribbed or rough.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

46 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I'm sure it's less about the cookware than the cooktop. Glass cooktops are easily marred if the underside of the pot is ribbed or rough.

Yes, but would not that imply compared to Le Creuset the bottom of Staub is more ribbed or rough?  I have never handled a Staub pot so I do not know.  As I recall my GE glass top stove manual says enameled cast iron is OK.

It fell out as a bookmark from a Bugialli book, so from the Le Creuset Notice of Use...

Le Creuset has developed three major technological breakthroughs:

Vitrobase: a remarkably smooth and resistant outer coating on the base of the utensils -- suitable for any heat source (particularly ceramic hobs) and guarantees perfect heat diffusion.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:24 AM, chefmd said:

You've got Astrance. Nice!

11 hours ago, jaw said:

If you are a fan of country ham, they are among the best there is. If you are not, you may not care for it. It is a very salty ham with a strong taste.

Haven't looked at the sale, as I am pretty well stocked up, but I find their breakfast slices to be my best bang for the buck.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Confused 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

i'm specifically asking about their heritage hams. it's not the same as their normal stuff. just wondering if anyone here's tried it since i can't find any reviews anywhere on it.

according to the description, it's more prosciutto-like.

Edited by jaw (log)

• 2 weeks later...