• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

My loot has started to arrive.

the UPS truck is zipping this way and that

I looked up my orders and noticed the iPot delivery had been changed from Monday

to Thursday

#%R*T@#%$^#_^%_^#%^&@#+%

out of curiosity I called them

their customer service is really quite good for a company so large

ref. the trim im using for Prime

etc etc etc

they said sometimes when their are too many orders , it has to come from

the vendor

But I asked again , so , Prime means what ?   

but very politely

now the iPot has been rescheduled for monday.

so  , did they then reschedule some one else's iPot from Mon to Thurs ?

these are mysteries that have  no answer.

BTW Im always very polite to customer service people ,   where ever they are

Id last about < 10 minutes in that sort of job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Me too.  

Once, when I sent my Cuisinart food processor back to the company for repair (I'd dropped it on my tile floor and broke the spindle off), I got pretty snotty with the Customer Service Rep (who was witless).

It took months and several phone calls to ever get it returned.

22 hours ago, lindag said:

Once, when I sent my Cuisinart food processor back to the company for repair (I'd dropped it on my tile floor and broke the spindle off), I got pretty snotty with the Customer Service Rep (who was witless).

I worked in a lot of call centers when I was younger, so I'm very patient with them (one advantage of the new technology is that you don't have to listen any more to the sound of your tier 1 customer service rep flipping frantically through a paper binder). Sadly, training is often entirely inadequate at the lower echelons, and it's necessary to insist politely but firmly on being escalated. Sometimes more than once.

In fairness, occasionally even a fairly robust training program fails to prepare one for the unexpected.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I worked in a lot of call centers when I was younger, so I'm very patient with them (one advantage of the new technology is that you don't have to listen any more to the sound of your tier 1 customer service rep flipping frantically through a paper binder). Sadly, training is often entirely inadequate at the lower echelons, and it's necessary to insist politely but firmly on being escalated. Sometimes more than once.

In fairness, occasionally even a fairly robust training program fails to prepare one for the unexpected.

Thanks for the video link, enjoyed it and discovered some new to me Bob Newhart!

Okay, I bought myself and Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt. 😀

Now, I'm looking for something CANADIAN to send to a Canadian recipient. I already found Kozlik's Mustard. So another great suggestion, please?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Now, I'm looking for something CANADIAN to send to a Canadian recipient. I already found Kozlik's Mustard. So another great suggestion, please?

Isn't the Instant Pot Canadian?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

51 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Kozlik's mustard is a good choice!

What province - perhaps a gift certificate for their provincial liquor store?

• Thanks 1

Forgive me, but I haven't seen it mentioned:  amazon has been running a three for two sale.  Not just cookbooks.  However delivered to my front door yesterday...

Shizuo Tsuji, Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art

Sonoko Sakai, Japanese Home Cooking: Simple Meals, Authentic Flavors

FERRANDI Paris, French Patisserie: Master Recipes and Techniques from the Ferrandi School of Culinary Arts

Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art I've read a couple times, but I've not owned a copy.  Sadly it does not look like there will ever be a Kindle version.

I just browsed a bit through Japanese Home Cooking.  Lots of pretty pictures.  Perchance @Anna N might consider it?

Trying to lift books is an occupational hazard.  Indeed, I just suffered a mandatory training course.  Bending your knees and all that.  Nothing prepared me for French Patisserie.*

*except of course for @nathanm -- and Modernist Bread is one of the titles included in the sale.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I just browsed a bit through Japanese Home Cooking.  Lots of pretty pictures.  Perchance @Anna N might consider it?

Thank you for thinking of me. I own a copy of Simple Art but I don’t think I’m prepared to pay 43+ dollars for a Kindle version of this!  I think it’s just outrageous. After all you never actually own a Kindle book. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thank you for thinking of me. I own a copy of Simple Art but I don’t think I’m prepared to pay 43+ dollars for a Kindle version of this!  I think it’s just outrageous. After all you never actually own a Kindle book. 

Does not your library have Kindle books?  I'm very much enjoying Japanese Home Cooking.

The A4 Box that @Anna N has been showcasing is 25% off with a code of BLACKFRIDAY at checkout.  The 25% off is not applied on the extra cooking surfaces ($89 extra) only to the A4 Box itself.   Free Shipping.   I now own the white North American model with the extras.

Get 25% Discount On A4Box. Use Code - BLACKFRIDAY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I now own the white North American model with the extras.

Nice! Will be anxiously watching for ways that you use it.

• Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Does not your library have Kindle books?  I'm very much enjoying Japanese Home Cooking.

They may. I used to practically live in my library but I haven’t checked it out in some years.

My 2004 eG Blog

I take it that the A4 Box is Japanese ?

where ever else are you going to get an add-on

non-stick evern

for Octopus Balls ?

Sooooo :

Battle.................Box !

coming up soon

only on eG !

mystery ingredient :  Octopus !

looking forward to it !

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

They may. I used to practically live in my library but I haven’t checked it out in some years.

Their Kindle books should be on-line.  Call the library for help.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Their Kindle books should be on-line.  Call the library for help.

I might do that but I’m not promising. But as an aside I did download a sample copy of the Kindle version of the book. It looks interesting but what caught my eye was not that book but another book that was recommended as I closed the sample. It is a book by the author of the site LadyandPups, Mandy Lee. The book is The Art of Escapism Cooking. Now I may succumb to that one very soon!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Woot Deal on the bigger excalibur today $169

Was coming to post this same sale and saw your post. It's on Woot so get it before they run out.:B

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Target is offering 10% discount on gift cards today, maximum $300 card value. So for example, if you select a $100 gift card you are charged $90. You can have the gift card emailed, texted, or mailed to you.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde