• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How about it Kerry?  Did you cave?

Nope - I’m attempting to offload (and I have a Big Green Egg). Offloading consists  of trying not to get more!

15 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd wonder if it's counterfeit.

I've seen Le Creuset at comparable clearance/liquidation stores here in Canada. It's never the enameled cast iron at that price, but some sort of stoneware or porcelain (I don't remember which).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

13 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Spent part of today at Canadian Tire admiring the Phillip's Infrared Grill.  I came home and looked into it some more.  Does anyone besides @JoNorvelleWalker have one?  Amazon has it on sale for $279 and they re throwing in a cleaning gadget.  This year  I've already bought the  Control Freak and a back-up CSO.  @rotuts and @Shelby insisted. I'm not sure I should be buying anything else.  I sure do miss the toys I had at the house - the Weber gasser, The Big Green Egg, my electric smoker, my Weber charcoal grill.  Maybe I wouldn't  miss them so much if I had the Phillip's Grill.

I like how you think. Spending time in a Canadian Tire is wonderful and dangerous! 

Tomorrow's the end of the line for The Paderno Store. Gotta remember to go pick over the bones and see if there's anything more I want.

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, chromedome said:

I've seen Le Creuset at comparable clearance/liquidation stores here in Canada. It's never the enameled cast iron at that price, but some sort of stoneware or porcelain (I don't remember which).

That's the stuff.

I just picked up 6 nice LC ramekin/cazuela-ish dishes for $20.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 2:53 PM, weinoo said:

Flash sale (40% Off!) from like 9 PM -  midnight, two nights ago, netted me this:

CDDBBE0A-CF25-4C3D-8847-4CBD34F99BBC.thumb.jpg.5022916b7c9f8e98799a3039365c67fe.jpg

Here's what two of those petite duck breasts look like in a pan (they're about 6 oz. per)...

uhtNMeP.jpg?1

And quite delicious.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 11/2/2019 at 2:33 PM, chromedome said:

Tomorrow's the end of the line for The Paderno Store. Gotta remember to go pick over the bones and see if there's anything more I want.

I forgot to report back on that, but the last day was definitely too late. Everything left in the store was on one little table at the front, and even that was pretty sparsely populated. I did pick up a pair of parisien scoops in different sizes, two of those little ceramic bird vents for pie baking, and a couple of very small saucepans (1-cup and 2-cup). Total expenditure was under $10, and I got a small wooden rack for free that was part of a display. It will now hold pot lids in my cupboard.

• Like 3

On 11/15/2019 at 6:31 AM, gfweb said:

Phillips Avance grille $129 at Amazon under "today's deals"

That's "renewed item" price. Brand new is $149.

I don't need any more cookware. I just need a Blue Star range to use them on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

That's "renewed item" price. Brand new is $149.

I don't need any more cookware. I just need a Blue Star range to use them on.

I have the bottom of the line Blue Star. It's all I could ask for. Love the thing

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, jrshaul said:

A kleptomaniac flatmate stole my microplane graters, a ton of spices, my good vegetable knife, and a few other things. Any advice on replenishing my supply?

At least I still have cast iron coming out of my ears.

I recommend setting Amazon price alerts on CamelCamelCamel (https://camelcamelcamel.com/) and waiting until your replacement items drop to a price you would like to pay. For spices, replace them as you need them from a store with fresh spices (or order from Penzeys). And most importantly, don't replace any of your stuff until you have a new flatmate!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrshaul said:

A kleptomaniac flatmate stole my microplane graters, a ton of spices, my good vegetable knife, and a few other things. Any advice on replenishing my supply?

At least I still have cast iron coming out of my ears.

Perhaps track down said flat mate - judicious application of cast iron frying pan - followed by the return of your stuff!

I did see a fellow once when I was living in the Queen Charlotte Islands who failed to share his Coop yearly dividend with the several women who where on his coop account. Serious damage can be done with a cast iron pan!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

Im looking for some Amazon Loot.

Im very very fortunate that there is little I need.

but I have Free Amazon Prime for a  month 

Ive already put that to good use w two orders !

I hope you got a backup CSO while it was under $100! I missed it while I was dithering.

Meanwhile, the Instant Pot Ultra 6-quart is $81.99. I think you like your Instant Pot? If you want extra flexibility for temperature control, and the extra safety feature of an automatic vent closure when you lock the lid in place*, this pot is for you. It's a heck of a good deal!

*The vent can be reopened if you don't want it closed, but it automatically closes every time you lock the lid. I think it's a great feature.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I did miss the 99 CSO

but I have back ups !

I also have back ups of the outstanding CSo

including the one you mentiond

I think I got it for a similar price.

very little temps be as I don't have need for much

an 8 qt iPot might have tempted me

bot so so far , I snagged w my Free Prime menbership

a plug thing that give me two standard plugs and 4 powered USB ports

for when I port this iMac over for non- internet use 

( 32 bit important software that I can umgrade )

which give me two ports for this iMac and its seen d screen

frees up a one outlet I use for USB power to power up the few portables I ahve

im please to report a 27 % Savings !

it will be her Sunday !

no matter that its initial cost was 17 $$ and change 

27 $ is still 27 $ !

• Like 2

Bosch Universal Plus Stand Mixer - Black - Baker's Package with Additional Baking Attachments and Stainless Steel Bowl $399 on amazon.  Was $455.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Amazon deals the day :

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Programmable-Pressure-Steamer/dp/B01B1VC13K/ref=gbps_img_m-6_323c_1dc1fbe0?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=d22acd71-9721-4822-9b8d-54678664323c&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=384082011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=2WPJWRM3BRPWS2H322DE  

6 QT duo , which gets the job done nicely

maybe  you need a spare for " garage ?"  

don't forget the appropriate steamer baslket of you choice !

no 8 Qt  mega deal in sight

rats  that's something Id jump on  , say for 100 USD

an I don't need it .  i could run 2 6 qty's at the same time , having the hardware , and save 100 green backs

but what the fun is that ?

also 

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Smart-Electric-Pressure/dp/B0777XQ4S8/ref=gbps_img_m-6_323c_b06ba8e3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=d22acd71-9721-4822-9b8d-54678664323c&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=384082011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=GCBBETEJ4BGM7ACPAMKA

but WiFi ?    🤪

BTW the new(er) emoji's are way to small to see .

just saying.

Edited by rotuts (log)

How peculiar. At this moment, the 6-quart Instant Pot Duo is listed for $89.99, yet the 8-quart Instant Pot Duo is listed for $64.99! I think you started something, rotuts. ;) 

Ah...I think the difference is that, as rotuts noted above, the 6-quart has wi-fi. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I got very worked u- !

maybe the iPot I ordered dropped !

I called them , and before i got to the issue

the 8 qt duo

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B1VC13K/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01B1VC13K&linkCode=as2&tag=egulletcom-20&linkId=0692c7f1157a0ea5a5cad00681c5d8c1

is 65

the one I bought is the iPot Ultra 10 in one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07588SJHN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

is 94.   I was going to change my order , but decided not to.

had I noted the 8 qt duo at 64 first , I would have gotten that and been very happy

now that Im getting the Ultra , Im fine with it too.

but Im sure people would be Very Very happy w the 8 qt duo for 65   I would have been as the duo is the one I use

the 6 qt Ultra is resting comfortably in its box. as a spare

now I need some ASA and a Nap.

Conspicuous Consumption is very tirei9ng.

• Like 4